Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my 1937 ford coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tigermorser, Nov 4, 2011.

1. tigermorser

tigermorser
    from Cochrane

found myself a new frame last week was told it was a 1939 , it has brackets on the front for juice brakes , the rear appears to be like a 1941 with the Xmember reversed from the 1937 frame that i have measures a little wider at the rear point of the x member vs the 37 frame , sorry cant upload the pics if anyone has any ideas what the frame is from and if it will be useable on the 37 thx in advance

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. tigermorser

tigermorser
    from Cochrane

managed to post some pics of the frame to my profile still cant get them to this listing lol computers

3. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

How's this? DD

<TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; HEIGHT: 168px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

4. not sure if i can help or not but i have a 37 4dr that i can post pictures of the frame from underneath

5. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Now that I've actually looked at your pics, your frame appears to be either a '41 or a '42-'48, which DIMENSIONALLY, is nothing like a '37 or '39. Your '37 coupe will not BOLT-ON to that frame. DD

6. richie rebel

richie rebel

i think the last year frame you can use is a 40

7. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I agree. That's not a 39 frame. You need a 35 - 39 frame..... 40 will work too, but I think the front cross member is a little different.

8. tigermorser

tigermorser
    from Cochrane

[​IMG]heres the frame after a few hours of taking it apart and adjusting it to be very close to 1937 frame specs still have to do some work on wheel base and length but wanted to get the widths right at the start

9. tigermorser

tigermorser
    from Cochrane

10. Be sure to grease the skids with your DMV since changing the frame will change the serial number for the car. By the way, what is the serial number, that should tell you the year of the frame unless it is at the changeover from one year to the next?

Charllie Stephens

11. tigermorser

tigermorser
    from Cochrane

number on frame by crossmember is 1D-2373

12. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

As mentioned above, the frame is a 41-48 frame and not for a 1935-40 car. The wheelbase is 114 inches on the 41-48 and the 35-40 is 112 inches. Can you make it work, yes, but it would be a lot of work as none of the body holes would match or side frame holes. Why not find the 35-40 chassis? My thoughts!

13. tigermorser

tigermorser
    from Cochrane

ive gone over this in my head a few times , i really like the look of this frame with the x member going to the rear on the outside vs the 37 with the reinforcement on the inside , ive already narrowed the frame to match the very religious frame that came with the car with me shortening the frame i can take care of the rusty areas that need a lil work and have a very solid frame , i like the kick up on this frame as im changeing the floor anyways it isnt much of a concern , as its a frame that isnt desired much , reselling it would be a problem i forsee, so im going to make it work , and when im done , i will know exactly what i have for a foundation for my car , as of this moment the frame is the proper width and the proper length except for the rear area i will work on soon as i get the gas tank get er done ...

14. tigermorser

tigermorser
    from Cochrane

ordered new gas tank today , tanks inc seemed good value , well see in a couple weeks after it gets here

15. tigermorser

tigermorser
    from Cochrane

[​IMG]

found a edelbrock torker 289 intake , isnt exactly what im after at least this way i can keep the engine cleaner as i do mock up

16. tigermorser

tigermorser
    from Cochrane

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

some recent work and some parts i have gotten in

17. tigermorser

tigermorser
    from Cochrane

18. tigermorser

tigermorser
    from Cochrane

any suggestion for power brakes, clutch set ups, useing a sbf 289 , and a t5 tranny s10 short leg version , plan on setting up disc all around , was thinking under floor , if anyone has done this and wants to share some knowledge would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance Craig

19. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

I built my 37 with manual disks in front, drum in rear, I have a t-5 and I used the original pedal setup for the clutch, the brake pedal I have is swinging. I am running a flathead in mine tho, so set-up maybe will be diffrent for your 289, the 5 speed was the easiest and best thing I ever did to my 37 ford!

Attached Files:

20. tigermorser

tigermorser
    from Cochrane

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Found this on kijiji this weekend , looks to be a lot like a pullmax , but this one is german made , price was very reasonable it is a Trumpf Tas 81 , only came with the nibble attachment , 220v single phase , cant wait to set it up and put it to work.