Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Rat rod is one thing but!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bdotson, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It will be really interesting to see how the 216 responds to the new gears. Don't under estimate the potential there. After all that is the engine that Wayne Horning built his first 12 port heads for. Also remember they came new with shims in the rods that can be removed to adjust clearance as the bearings wear.
    Drop a line from the high point of the wheel cut out and line the axle with it. Chevy pickups were 1 1/2" forward. It had to do with the closed driveline and the hinge arrangement where the axle bolted to the spring. Or maybe they used the same length drive line on everything.

2. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

inlines can make a bunch of power
    i am really impressed by the 292 especially with better manifolds, carburetion and a cam,,
    lots and lots of torque, only bad thing is the offset motor mounts,
    but hey, you gotta fab em anyway,, right?

3. jeffbr33

jeffbr33
    from norwich,ct

Hi Buddy,I've had to move the rear back a half an inch on all the early chevys i've had,cars and trucks.thats just the way they all were

4. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

No AC this old car is to remain as much stock it can and still run turn and stop as well as be safe no AC. I do have it in my 37 streetrod. Love your 38 by the way very nice

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Well, since we're sharing, here's my grandparents' in 1946:

[​IMG]

-Dave

6. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

had to move my new rear on my 36 chevy, looks pretty funny til its fixed.
    [​IMG]

7. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

I took off work yesterday went to decatur swap meet. I bought a complete 261 said to run. Got back on the coupe today got the rearend moved back and lowered 2" looks good there going to try and get the front coils cut tomorrow. I also got around to building my drive shaft this afternoon. Tomorrow will 28 days on this project I will try and get some pictures asap. For now I want to learn a little more about this 261

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The oly thing I remember about 261 is that you gotta pay close attention to head bolt length. IIRC, there is one bolt somewhere in the head bolts that is a little shorter and if you screw up and put the longer one in ti will tighten up, but it blocks the oil flow to rocker arms.
    Dave

9. eww! thats nasty! couple of gallons of bleach should do to take care of things.

10. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

got he cross member done and installed this morning also pic of the drive shaft I made yesterday is day 28 not going to make the 30 days if I dont take a day off work HMMM [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

Ok guys what do you think now? I centered the rear wheel using a plumb bob. I lowered the rear 2" and cut one coil off the front. This is the look I was after. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and now for real horsepower the big 261 LOL [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I'm really liking this build, and the new stance is better!

...But since you asked- I really like these cars with 2"-3" rake in them- the just look fast sitting that way, IMHO. The pics look like the rake is minimal, maybe even level?

Keep up the great work!

13. That's just gross man! I bought a 63 Dodge farm truck a few weeks ago with that same problem. I was shaking rat shit out of that truck for three weeks. It never looks this bad until you dig into it. :eek:

14. Looks good. I'm with 38 flattie on the rake ........ or the front needs to sit up about 4" higher if you have a healthy V-8 and fender well headers. But that's just me.

15. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

We have options but for now I think this is the look I am after. No problem to slam it or raise it for that matter. Thanks for the input guys

16. Love the look and way to go !!! Keep up the great work !!!!

17. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

Finally the weekend. I got on the brakes today we are useing the old master cyl as an actuater for a power brake boster and dual master cyl. This way we still have the old pedals in place with new brakes. I hope this works out I will have to incorporate an offset because the booster will be lower than the old master cyl was. Now lets do some brake line plumbing:rolleyes: old master cyl [​IMG] new piece I made [​IMG] old spring from the orignal master cyl used as a return spring [​IMG] all assembled and ready to install [​IMG] more later:) now installed and hooked up [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] now PS pump mounted I mounted it low to try and hide it I plan to put a generator over it to help cover it [​IMG] [​IMG] Woo Woo hot rod parts [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  18. Silverado85

Silverado85

Your work is handier than a Three Dollar Bill! Love what you and your Dad are doing to your car. Nice buildup.

19. 55nailhead

55nailhead

Wow I like your car alot and the stance is the way I like them too!

20. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

Back at it this afternoon got a little done almost done with the rear brakes. Brake line Plumbing is nearing an end. power steering plumbing is done. I had to machine the axle hubs down because they were to big for the holes in the wheels I plan to use. Front sheet metal goes back on tomorrow I hope. Coming right along. Thanks for looking Buddy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] now that fits like it was made for it [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Thanks for sharing your progress.

Where in Texas are you?

22. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

Thanks for looking and I am just south of Tyler :D

23. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Rear wheels look dead on now, cant wait to hear more about that 261

24. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

The 261 had a air compressor mounted on it for air brakes I removed it so I could see the head casting number, It is a 848:D There is a rebuilder tag dated Nov 1963 shows .030 bore .010 mains and .040 rods. I would like to find a better crank to start with. I have a line on a .010-.010 I might try to buy if it is fresh turned .010-.010, not worn out. I feel the bore is worn out because it turn very easy by hand. I think a complete rebuild is in order. thanks for the intrest Buddy

25. coleminer

coleminer
    from East Texas

How far south of Tyler? I'm in Henderson.

26. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Inline sixes make awesome TQ, I have had a few, one was a 230 in a shoebox nova with all Clifford components, cam, intake, exhaust, little sucker hauled ass,, i've heard about 261's, believe that is a GMC truck engine, here is a couple sites for reference:
    http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/ http://www.inliners.org/
    and here is an ad from inliners: (he is in Oregon tho)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Buy,Sell,Trade inline Chevy/GMC engines and parts.
    http://jjinlines.com James~503-740-6783
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    also goto stovebolt.com and search for 261, lots of references there, and parts too,
    might find that crank you need, cant wait to hear a video of it runnin,,

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  27. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  28. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

I am 12 south of the loop in Tyler. Hwy 69 south

29. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

Day 42 some lube install a battery, the front sheet metal and were off for a ride!!!!!!!! at long last. We took her out and while dad was driving it caught on FIRE!!!. Seems as if one of the rats hid his nest on top of the exaust manifold and filled it with peach seeds which will burn. We saw lots of smoke jumped out found the source raked it off with a screwdriver had a good laugh and drove home. It was a great time. Now I will start trying to get some of this primer off. heres a few pic of it now. Dad putting his finishing touches on it [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and thats how you do it [​IMG] :eek: Now that was fun see ya later Buddy

30. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas