Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1950 buick gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by round head, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 46stude

46stude

Roundhead, what are the realistic chances of a genuine tube axle & somethin' like a dual quad 455 or even a roots blower on the straight 8 in the future?

I believe "we've all got to start somewhere", so keep at it if you plan on making the big gal legit eventually.

2. Larry T

Larry T

And to expand on this a little more, that's not just the way it was for racecars, same deal for any kind of hot rod, street machine, musclecar, Harley, etc. Every weekend, folks were showing up with new mags, tires, popping their hoods to show new intakes, carbs, valve covers, etc.

Lots of cars/bikes never got finished, but we were working towards an end goal (that was always changing)
    Larry T

3. round head

round head

[​IMG]here is a side veiw of it

4. smarg

smarg

Take the front bumper and grille out.

It will change the entire look of that front end, maybe for the better.

5. Taff

Taff

hate to be a naysayer, but there is the answer right there. you could do a lot with that Buick, but "gasser" probably isn't it

6. crapshoot

crapshoot

not sure if giving a buick the nosebleed stance is going to look the best, just remember not all gassers need to be jacked up sky high, try looking up gasser or drag cars of the fifties and sixties. very little lift and tons of cool factor something that might not happen with a 4x4 stance buick moredoor

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Pretty much the way it is in my house, except for the most part, the parts I buy nowadays have to be used. The "fancy" one car garage with a small attached workshop that I operate out of didnt just turn up in my Christmas stocking, I have to pay for that, in the form of a mortgage.
    I also have a wife and a 3 yr old daughter, reality is that they come first. I no longer(did it when I was single) have the option of eating mac and cheese for months at a time, as I would not be living up to my obligation as a parent if I did that. One of the sacrifices I make is that in terms of daily transpo, we are a one car family, and several days a week, I take transit to work. When you add up insurance gas, maintenance and parking, this adds up to around $300 hundred a month, which accounts for the bulk of my monthly car building budget. We dont eat out, or go to movies either.
    So I guess I have the perfect excuse to be building a shitbox rat rod, with no paint and shoddy workmanship, right? Wrong. What it means is that I have to think REALLY hard about how I spend my car money. I have to learn to do EVERYTHING myself, and I have to spend as much time as possible refining my skills, because I take pride in my workmanship.
    This isnt about impressing my buddies, or being one of the "cool" guys, I cant even remember the last time there was anyone other than me or my dad in my shop. Its about impressing ME.
    Contrary to what one or two "guys" on here are going to tell you, throwing together a poorly built, unpainted, shoddy, flavour of the week, hunk of happy horseshit is NOT what traditional hot rodding was/is all about. Thats actually ANOTHER hobby that evolved side by side with traditional hot rodding. It was known back in the day as shot rodding, now its called rat rodding (used for educational purposes only, mods). What traditional hot rodding was/is all about is what Larry T,Chili Phil and others are telling you. Its about taking your time, scraping and saving, and building the absolute NICEST car you can on a tight budget, using and expanding your own skills and dedication to workmanship in the process.

8. round head

round head

so all your saying that is my car and my work is crap well u no what bite me because im doing fine and i like what im doing . yes u do have the right to speak because it is america. so if i like it thats all that matters all it is im just a young punk t to some of you but thats ok

9. round head, I don't want to insult you or your car. Here's a thread that shows what a gasser is and was.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334715

I'm not sure what you're working on, but it isn't a gasser. Good luck, have fun and please use the right terminology. Thank you.

A kinder, gentler Chili Phil...

10. metalshapes

metalshapes

These guys are trying to help you, by giving you some Info of what Gassers were,
    ( and hopefully, still are )

You respond by getting pissy, because its not what you want to hear.

So yes... Build what you want.

But if you are going to call it something it is clearly not, you have to expect these guys to give you the benifit of their knowledge.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.