Register now to get rid of these ads!

Longer front Shackles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dbshelton, Feb 26, 2012.

1. dbshelton

dbshelton

I am putting a Speedway straight front axle under my Falcon and to achieve the "right" look, I had to make some longer spring shackles (4" c to c vs. 1 1/2" c to c). Tried with axle under the springs-too high. Axle over the springs-too low. Then added a 1 1/2" tall block to the frame rails at the front and the 4" shackles and everything looks great. Is there anything bad about using a longer shackle. I felt that using 1/4" x 1 1/2" steel flatbar should be of sufficient strength, or should I use 3/8"?

2. Pics would help...sounds like you're on the right path.

3. dbshelton

dbshelton

Not a real good picture, but shows the shackle and mount

Attached Files:

• FG16.JPG
      FG16.JPG
      File size:
      35.4 KB
      Views:
  4. Well there's 2.5 in the shackels and 1.5 in the block for a total of 4". That shackel looks far too vertical to me ; that may cause you serious problems.
    Why not reconfigure the mount for the standard shackels at the proper angles?

5. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Longer shackles are going to make it handle worse in my opinion.....will tend to wander more

6. dbshelton

dbshelton

Yes, the angle is all wrong. I tacked the blocks there to work with the short shackles, so they would have to be moved. I guess I could built a taller mount setup to use the short shackles.

7. long shackles will make it less stable and add to the steering effect when turning

8. All things equal, just moving that mount to correct the angle will lower the car again by 1/2 the length of the those shakles pictured.

9. dbshelton

dbshelton

The shackles should be at about a 45 degree angle, correct?

10. dbshelton

dbshelton

Messing with things again now. went back to short shackles, added additional 1 1/2" blocks to make total of 3" of lift. Looks pretty close now. (yes, I know the shackle angle is off and I'm not using the 2x4 wood blocks). Maybe build the risers from 1/4" plate (.024" aluminum pattern clamped in place) and weld into correct position only after checking oil pan clearance when it arrives tuesday.

Attached Files:

11. That makes more sense to me. I wouldn't think the bracket would need to be that massive, but 0.25 for sure with some lateral stiffener. Some thing like an L on its side with some vintage curves, look at some if the other bracketry on your car.

45* is neutral position at ride height with full weight.

Look like axle is way far forward compared to the fender.

12. dbshelton

dbshelton

Mover axle rearward, fabbed new front spring mounts and tacked them on. I think it looks pretty good. Pictures tomorrow.

13. dbshelton

dbshelton

A couple of pictures. The shackle angle looks pretty close when I have a little more front weight. Everything will remain tacked in place until the car's complete.

14. dbshelton

dbshelton

I'll try again

Attached Files: