Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 willys BAD COMPANY at Spartanburg Dragway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xracer40, Nov 7, 2010.

1. xracer40

xracer40

Looking for pics of my willys when it was ran at Spartanburg Dragway or Greer in the 70's up to about 1982 by Sunny Chapman. He also raced a few national events at Bristol.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. xracer40

xracer40

Maybe someone from the weekend crowd?

3. xracer40

xracer40

4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The only pics I have are in my mind I raced against and watched Sunny race at Greer and Spartanburg

5. xracer40

xracer40

I had a few pictures I took of the car when Sunny was running at Bristol around 78 or 79. It was the first time I saw the car. Unfortunately they got misplaced during a divorce in the early 90's.
    I came very close to buying the original "Cannonball" willys that you built for Scotty Cannon when it was owned by a fellow in Columbus,Ohio. By the time I got the money together the car was sold. It would have made quite a pair to have "Bad company" and "Cannonball" sitting in my garage!
    Bobby Bennett wrote on one the promod boards that my (Sunny's) car was the inspiration for the "Cannonball" willys. Can you verify or add anything to that?

6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Yea Cannon has said that before. It would be cool if you could have both cars side by side. You should be able to buy the car that I built for Cannon cheep if you could find it because it would be bad outdated. I have the magazine that has the wright up about the car when it was built 1987 or 88 I think.I remember when Doug Harden put the rear end under your car mid to late 70s. He took out the old school long ladder bars it would be nice if they were still there. Thanks Quain

7. xracer40

xracer40

I have the magazine you mentioned,it is Jan.1988 issue of SS&DI. Cannon's car is on the cover and there's a feature story with a full page color picture.
    I'm sure the rear suspension set-up you mentioned is the same that's in my car now. It has coil springs mounted on top of a Dana 60 with ladder bars and regular shocks. The ladder bars are an old style Comp. Eng. that they called "ladder links". They have a short adjustable link with LH & RH solid rod ends on upper rear bar for preload adjustment. They work pretty good so I never saw any reason to change them. In fact the front and rear suspension is the same as when I bought the car from Sunny in 1982.
    Here is a drawing of my car that was in August,1985 issue of Super Stock & Drag Illustrated. There was no story about the car,they used to put drawings of different cars on the same page as editorial or tech columns. This drawing was made sometime when Sunny owned the car,the numbers on the windows are none I have ever used.

Attached Files:

8. xracer40

xracer40

9. xracer40

xracer40

10. zapp69

zapp69

Missed this first time around, Love learning the history of these old cars, especially Chopped Coupes.

How much is it chopped? Id love to know the height of boh the Windscreen and Door glass??

11. zapp69

zapp69

Double post

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012