Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best Motor for a big truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cutlassboy68, Jan 13, 2012.

1. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

International 345 or 392. Loads of torque!

2. A Buick 430" from 1967-69 is 50 pounds lighter than a chevy 350-1" shorter in mounted length,and produces 365 Horsepower and 475 ft lbs torque at 4400RPM.....
    Hard to top that,and gas is cheaper than diesel ya know.....

ALSO comparatively on the road repairs would be cheaper and simpler.
    a gas engine woudl run your brakes better then a diesel with that vacuum pump they use....

A diesel starter can run 4 times the cost of a normal one plus the injector pumps are sky hi and diesel services in general are much higher across the board.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  3. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

If I were doing the swap, I think that I would try to find a 4-71T aluminum block,
    Should have plenty power and torque, plus be fairly light weight.
    And I love the scream of those 2strokes!

4. So, OP, what did you end up deciding to do?

5. shocker998md

shocker998md

my 2 cents is build it so that you can use the hell out of it. That being said Id put a 12v with a 5 speed in. Thats just me though.

After that id look at a big caddy but ur MPG will be cut at least in half and thats not counting being loaded.

6. Harry o

Harry o
    from Georgia

A 292 in line 6 will have all the power you need and looks almost period correct ...

7. Truckedup

Truckedup

If not said already,any V-8 swap requires moving the steering box outward at the minimum and often you have to massage the brake pedal arms to clear the exhaust manifold.
    261 Chevy or a 270-302 GMC is bolt in with some attention to the water pump length.292 6 is more work but easier than a V-8 swap.None of those inline 6's will rocket it down the road like a big V8 but it'll get you there at 50-55 mph.

8. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I put a 500 cad in my 53 2 1/2 ton, it was easier to do a frame swap than fitting it to the original frame. I would go with the biggest 6 you can find and add a 2 speed rear or gear venders overdrive to get your speed and milage up

9. Dakota 76

Dakota 76

Might think about a GMC 270 or a 302, inline 6. I have a 52 Chev 2 ton that I dumped a 302 with a 5 spd., 5th over into. If you want more speed, find a small Watson or Brown Lipe 3 spd, with over drive to put behind the 5 spd. The GMC is a pretty easy swap with force oiling bearings and you would be pretty much period correct. I had a 303 Olds in the same truck earlier, but tough to swap and the gear ratio was wrong for the V8, but worked good otherwise. Would be glad to help with anything I can offer. Good Luck.

10. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

My uncles dad has a 50 gmc 450 with a military 302 inline 6 in it. It has the 2 spd rear axle with a 4 spd trans that has 2 reverse gears. He still has it but its pretty much rotted away but he said that sucker would haul grain like no other. My vote is for the 302 inline 6.

11. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

NAILHEAD!!! Old engine that came to be in '53. Great torque, good power.
    A 425 would have the torque to haul anything you wanted.

12. bohica2xo

bohica2xo
    from Las Vegas

Period correct - kinda /sorta? It is a little truck (1.5t) so it would never have had a big engine.

If it was a bigger truck, a 6-71 Detroit would be correct - they were in production when it was new. The little 4-53 did not come along until 1957.

A 6-71 would be a lot of fun, but it will not come cheap. Since they weight about 2200 pounds you would be replacing the front axle...

You don't sound to keen on diesel anyway.

The old GMC V6 was a great truck engine, but would be "Period correct" only if the period was "hot rodded in the late 1960's" .

As someone already pointed out, the V8 swap in that truck is a tight job, and an I-6 is a better choice.

Think about a 300 cid Ford I-6. It could have the right look, plenty of torque, plentiful parts, and lower cost. Good solid engines. Wide selection of available transmissions.

B.

13. snaptwo

snaptwo

. . Torque and gearing are the answer. A 4 or 5 speed with a over/direct/under "brownie" will give you a gear for all occasions. We had a '58 GMC 1 1/2 wrecker that came originally with a baby pontiac 287 and we swapped in a fairly docile 389 poncho , 4 speed granny box and a 3 speed brownie, it was a man !!

14. spankster

spankster

A 3-71 GM diesel was available in the Advance Design(New Design) GMC trucks, in the early 50's 3, & 3 1/2 ton trucks.

15. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

The cummins swaps are all the rage these days. Thats my choice for a big truck like that.

16. wsdad

wsdad

Why a 472? What's the advantage over a 500?
    (Not arguing, just trying to learn something.)

17. 500 Caddy, or 455 Olds.

18. Dakota 76

Dakota 76

Period correct? Think about a 302 GMC, and the 5 spd with overdrive. Then dump in a 3 spd, 6031 Brown Lipe or Watson { Which some GMC trucks had}, behind the 5 spd. The 3 speed had a deep under for pulling, a direct, and an over drive. This gives you 2 overdrives beyond the Chev trans. The 302 was a tough engine, and goes into the Chev pretty easy. Like the other posts, if you want power and economy, go Cummins Diesel.
    I have a 1952 Chev tandem w/302 and 5 spd. Had a 303 Olds before, but a night mare to find room and had an adaptor for the 4 spd, a Minneapolis Moline tractor throw out bearing, cut brake pedal and moved steering gear. It worked, but was kinda cobbled up.

My advice, stay with the inline. Good Luck.

19. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Leave the hood closed and work a Duramax/Allison in there. 20+mpg and an easy 500HP. Super quiet and bullet proof.

Just Sayin'

20. nexxussian

nexxussian

Vintage Detroit.

Or Silver / 60 series and paint it green.

A turbo and bypass valve would cure most of the howl at cruise.

If no for that, how about the gryphon tanke engine (2 GMC 6s geared together) has to be a gear head somewhere that put one on the road. :)

There are several other options, like sliding the sheetmtal from your truck onto a a modern chassis (Freightliner, Kenworth and Peterbuilt all offer a small enough unit to do that, probably have to salvage a rollover to afford that, not period correct, but capabilit beyond anything you could practically build, for the money).

Good luck.

21. Dakota 76

Dakota 76

Most simple period correct, I would use a 302 GMC with it's 5 spd. overdrive and put a 6031 Spicer Brown Lipe "Brownie", or Watson 3 spd. trans. behind the 5 spd. "Some older GMC trucks had the extra trans". They usually had a real deep "stump pulling" low, direct, and overdrive. The 302 almost drops right in and the trans setup gives 2 spds higher than the old 4 spd. Should run down the road pretty well.

Want fuel mileage and more power, go Cummins. Good luck.

22. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I'm keeping an eye on this thread as I'm wanting to build my '53 Ford F600 grain truck into something dependable. It has a flat head 8 with a 2 sp rear end.