Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead cut-a-way with dynaflow ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ponytl, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ponytl

ponytl
    from memphis

I have this complete Nailhead cutaway engine and trans (both cut-a-way) really well done... I've had it in my warehouse for at least 20 years... finally pulled it down off the pallet rack today... I've had a few phone calls over the years of folks try'n to track it down or to confirm it even existed... how anyone knew i had it I have no idea other than a few posts i've made over the years trying to get some history on it... The air filter says wildcat 445 (the same as my 59 buick) but this has an alternator and judging from the brackets I'm guessing thats the way it was built... so again I think that would put it after 1962? since it's not a generator? I'll try to attach a few pics... the reason I pulled it out... is I'm thinking about selling it to fund another project if it's worth enough to do what I need... I have nothing to go on... since I can find no history of one selling or even another GM cut-a-way engine ever selling...
    thanks in advance for any help or light anyone can shine on this... nailheadsideview.jpeg

nailheadtransview.jpeg

nailheadpistonview.jpeg

nailhead445breather.jpeg

wicarnut likes this.
  2. ponytl

ponytl
    from memphis

Wow got the pics to post... as you can see it's on it's side on a pallet on the shop floor... but from the pics can anyone tell maybe what year it's from... or even know the history on it?

again thanks in advance for any help
    p

3. In grad school the engine lab class room had a small-block Chevy with Powerglide done in a very similar way -- nice paint, clean cuts, and few spots of chrome (valves, and tranny plates, etc.). My memory is foggy, but I think one of our older professors said it was a GM training prop for automotive repair technicians.

4. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

Cool peice!
    Id be interested in the Aircleaner.
    Please pm me if you decide to get rid of it.

5. AdeQ8Styl

AdeQ8Styl
    from TEXAS!

Wow! I have no clue either, but Id give it a hell of a shot in the classifieds with shallow pockets. Thanks for the pics at a minimum.

6. Does it have an engine code stamped into the rail in front of the pushrod (valley) cover?

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool. probably something used at the shows where they bring out the new models.

8. titus

titus

The trans is a switch pitch th400 so that makes it 64-66, but 66 had a quadrajet carb and that looks like a rochestor 4 jet so id say that makes either a 64 or 65.

and the 445 is the factory foot pounds rating, so i think that makes it a 401 but i dont totally remember.

and its a shame youve hidden it up on pallet racking for 20 years!

jeff

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Neat piece! Is it motorized or static?
    I would think the tradeshow display cutaways were motorized. A static model could be a sales or training tool
    What price range are you looking for?

10. sololobo

sololobo

That is beautiful, our home boy Speedway Motors, Bill "Speedy Bill" Smith has some cutaway stuff in his fab museum. If you ever consider selling he may be a person to contact that would be a qualified buyer, and the piece would be enjoyed by the hordes of folks that grace this palace of motor sports. Cool piece bro. ~sololobo~

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    kidcampbell71 and wicarnut like this.
  11. ponytl

ponytl
    from memphis

no code everything is ground smooth... and most appears to be enameled vs paint...

12. ponytl

ponytl
    from memphis

thanks... that was the info I knew someone would know... the "445" was the torque rating on all the 401's from 59 starting with the electra in 59 as i understand it... toward the end of the nailheads I think they offered a 425ci... I'm in Memphis and at one point Buick had a large corporate office here... I think this may have been there at some point just don't know if it was maybe part of an auto show display ... been told they were not in showrooms of the day

13. ponytl

ponytl
    from memphis

was your schools a nailhead? I've searched the net for several years and have never found another mention of a nailhead cut-a-way? thanks for the response
    p

14. scottb356

scottb356

please contact the GM heritage museum about this rig. I would bet they would be VERY interested in having for their engine display, and would probably pay you a nice bit for it.

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-vehicle-collection/

Also, could you get some better and larger pics of it posted. I for one would like to have some nice shots of it and I have no doubt mny others on here would as well. :)

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's on Ebay here and the price is making me laugh.

16. striper

striper

If I was going to spend $25k on a nailhead it sure wouldn't have all those holes in it.

I think he's on a fishing trip but has confused the hook with the anchor.

17. STAGE III

STAGE III

18. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

If anyone is looking to spend big money on these cutaways let me know. I make cutaway engines for a living....or cutaway anything for that matter. I could use a bigger shop and house and car and..........

19. williebill

williebill

$38,900 AND I have to pay you $150 ADDITIONAL for a crate????
    Sorry,that's a deal killer for me.....

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here I thought "big money' for one of those would be in the 2/3K range and maybe up to 5 if it was complete with the factory stand and info plate. I don't think even the most ardent nailhead freak is going to fork over the asked price though.

21. STAGE III

STAGE III

My ExperimentalBuick block which was a 1970 and the power Zenith for Buick and even still wore it's confirmed Experimental work order numbers identified by the man who ran the program AND still had the cast in X on it sold for $5500

http://www.buickstreet.com/1970-455-stage-iii-block/

A cut away? 2 or 3 TOPS

22. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Holy shit, give me 30k and I'll make you one like that.

23. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

I'll do it for 15K and I'll even make it motorized.
    How about a flathead cutaway, Ardun one side and stocker on the other?

24. Well, on the bright side, no one else is going to ask to buy the air cleaner off it, if the whole thing is $30,000, you could buy a running '64 Buick sedan with the air cleaner for what it would cost to buy his.

25. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Starting bid of $38,900.
    Buy It Now of $125,000.

words... fail me.

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

you know the old saying, "if you don't have anything nice to say, post it on the HAMB" :D

27. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Hey, I said I'm workin' on it!

VVV

28. BashingTin

BashingTin

LOL! Now that was some funny shit right there...

29. slimpick

slimpick

64 401 with an ST400

30. ponytl

ponytl
    from memphis

thanks