Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods pre-war coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skatermann, Jun 21, 2011.

1. does anyone know if to rebuild the mech. brakes, do I need to rebush and ream all the holes the levers go through?

2. nonipshere

nonipshere

Good to see young guys getting into this and especially building it old school. Keep up the good work and stay away from the "kit cars".

3. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

Im 14 and am building a 1930 model a pickup witha flathead in traditional style. To rebuild the mechanical brakes you should not have to bush the holes the levers go through if there rusty clean em up with sandpaper and paint them. keep it up

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

If you're going to run the mechanical brakes I suggest you find an old timer or a restoration guy that actually knows how to set them up properly. From what I hear if they're done right they'll put you right through the windshield. Pound for pound they should be just as effective as Juicy's. However the reason why people swap them out so often is that it's sort of like a black art setting them up. Brakes are just about the only thing I don't mess with when it comes to getting details right. All of mine have or will have Juice Brakes with fully rebuilt systems and dual MC's.

5. kisam

kisam

Your doing an awesome job, young man!

6. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

I love man, keep at it!

7. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I'd give my left nut for a project like that......
    And I am only 68 years old !!
    Cheers..........

8. 31' A Bone

31' A Bone
    from So Cal

I am runnin mine stock while I get my parts pile mostly complete. At 40HP, my max speeds are around 45-50 mph on level gound. I went through the entire brake system and adjust alot. They will "lock'em up" if adjusted perfect but I have almost rear ended someone becuase they did'nt want to run a yellow light. The new cars can stop quick and if one stops quick in front of you, pray you just adjusted them.

With a hot banger I would convert to juice.

9. A Rodder

A Rodder

10. Hey guys,

Kinda off topic, but today is my birthday and I just wanted to show the stuff I got!
    My real birthday doesn't come that often, and it was a big one anyway!!!!
    I'm sixteen!!!!

My step dad is an amazing woodworker, he started making Ukuleles recently, he made me a beautiful koa uke!!!!:eek::D

other great stuff!!
    -Merchants of Speed
    -When The Hot Rods Ran
    -The World of M. C. Escher
    -a torque wrench

and my Alliance firewall tag arrived today, and theres a original 32 k-member coming down the coast in a Fedex truck with my name on it!!!! (I did pay for those last to though, still exciting!!)

Thanks,
    Joe

Attached Files:

11. Great build and happy birthday!

12. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Happy Birthday!!! Your build is looking great! I'm 22, glad to see my build could inspire someone else to build a coupe. Here are a couple more of it. If you want to bonce ideas off me feel free. Right now It's all apart getting ready for a 59A flathead. (I don't know how to get the pics small)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

any updates on this one?

14. fritzz

fritzz
    from canada

great build,just love it.after all my fun with muscle cars and high hp.i decided to do the same,picked-up a 28 model a coupe with the 4 banger and will be building a prewar rod.keep the pics comming.