Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone put an olds rocket into a 35-36 ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ball and Chain, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

pics, tips, or info please!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

3. Cerberus

Cerberus

We need more info. Do you want to install a 1960's Olds Rocket V8 in a 30'S Ford? I've seen twin rocket propelled dragsters at the drags.
    In the 80's I owned a 1966 Olds Jetstar 88 that had a 330 c.i. Rocket V8 with 310 factory hp!

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This North Carolina Local has...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Cerberus

Cerberus

Here are som pix of a rear mounted rocket propelled 1964 Ford Galaxie which also has a 427 with side drafts under the hood. Rocket attached to differential produces 1000 hp!:eek:

Attached Files:

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

7. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Holy Rockets Batman!

I hope they bolted that axle on tight!

8. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I would like to see a video of this one going down the quarter mile..

9. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

More info: this right here, i wanna put a 54 olds in to a 35 ford!

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

11. BJR

BJR

Years ago I put a 53 303 Olds in a 34 Ford. Hurst front mounts, Cad Lasalle trans, Olds rear end. Now that was fun for an 18 year old.

12. F&J

F&J

That was me..

I used the stock 40 trans so I did not have to change anything on the X center of the frame. I would think the starter will be your only real problem...it will hit the steering box...so either a Ross mini starter or an old aftermarket starter changeover "half bell" which might be hard to find...and harder to find the correct starter to work with that.

I know the car in question is not the same body size, but mine was the most fun I've ever had on a swap. It was so easy, too. 4 days to yard drivable.

13. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Just for future reference. Would a '39 top-loader swap in there without any modifications aside from cutting the floor for the shifter and a steering column change?

iPhone - TJJ app

14. F&J

F&J

I'm a newbie on 40's...but I can't see why a 39 trans would change anything, because the frames are supposed to be the same from 37 to 40...so, even the clutch fork should line up?

You don't really have to change the column as the shift linkage all unbolts, it's only that upper bell shaped housing that would show the shifter hole. And patch that half moon hole on the lower dash edge. On my 32 with 40's column & 40 dash, I just rotated that bell 180 and it does not show up that much. I know, I know :)

15. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Pretty cool. Makes sense too.

I'm a newbie with early Ford stuff. I'm putting a '57 283/ '39 top-loader in my A. That will just about sum up my experience with them. :)

Your thread is great too! We sure could use more of those on here.

iPhone - TJJ app

16. There is a video or two of it on youtube.
    There is another thread about that rocket axle here on the HAMB... can't remember exactly what it was titled, but it started out with the OP asking what one was worth. There is links to the videos in that thread.

17. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

I am in the process right now! putting a 1956 Olds 324 in my 1935 Ford coupe...
    I have a copy of that R&C issue laying on the cowl and I cannot figure out how he got the engine that far forward. According to the article, it was built a long time ago, so I'm assuming no electric fan. I am running a stock fan blade and here is where it sits...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  18. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Initial cut in my firewall....

[​IMG]

19. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

20. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'll have to check those out. Thanks.

21. a cousin had a 324 in his 36 coupe. He sat it low and butchered the frame on both sides to run big and wide headers.. i suppose if you went with block hugger type exhaust, yound be fine. My dumb cuz actually had his frame bend he took so much out.

22. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

[​IMG]

seems like this style mount would move it a little further up, any idea who makes these?

23. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

anyone got a vendor for these mounts bttt!

24. Cerberus

Cerberus

In the 70's I installed a Hurst Cradle motor mount sytem in my '55 Chevy. The Hurst system gives you some flexibility on the location of the engine. Can't believe I saved the instructions. Check with Hurst Performance, inc. They may still make engine mounts.

Attached Files:

25. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

I have seen those mounts for sale on ebay... ad says they are like old Hurst mounts, but I don't know who makes them.

When you say "further up" , do you mean higher or further forward towards the radiator?

26. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

they look further towards the rad to me!

27. F&J

F&J

If you look in my "Olds in a 40" thread, Heathen gave the Ebay guys name, that has these mounts.

28. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Now you've got to realize that I'm Old Old. But my first Rod back in the early 50s was a 32 5W with a 52 Olds Rocket. Ran a stock 32 tranny with an adapter plate and the stock rear end for a couple months until that Olds power ate them up. Had to pull the engine to get the transmission out for the regular rebuilds. Got where that was about an hours job. I don't remember having trim the fire wall much if any or any steering problems. Biggest problem was pipes. They ran out over the frame then back under the car. Damn that was a long time ago. Wish I still had it.

Attached Files:

29. F&J

F&J

Holy cow Redbow.... Awesome pics. Have you put these pics on the " 50's Hot Rods picture thread" ? These are worth seeing. I envy all the elders who built these cars in the 50s. Get me a time machine, I want to go back to then. :)

30. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

found em! thanks!