Register now to get rid of these ads!

American Graffiti Coupe Pictures and Myths

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graffiti32, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

"none:("... ???
    You do know that as a Pennsylvanian, you are allowed to travel out of state, and Texas is not completely fenced off...:D

2. Scumdog

Scumdog

We have two clones like that here in NZ :cool:- perfect in every way except they're right-hand steering, been on the road since about '84.

Owned by two brothers, my cousins.:D

XERB likes this.
  3. Scumdog

Scumdog

At least you can drive there - I have a 12,000 miles distance to go to see it!

4. JCW2110

JCW2110

Lol, Your right, In my area is what I meant:rolleyes:... It's not out of the question...My brother is moving out there soon,So I could make a vacation out of it.

5. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Does that mean you will be passing thru Chicago??? MMMMM.......

6. JCW2110

JCW2110

My wifes friend lives in North Royalton ,Ohio....She's been wanting to go out that way for a visit for a while...Maybe while she's doing that,I could travel a little farther out???:D

7. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

More new info on the site. "Emergency the Milner Coupe has a flat"

Attached Files:

8. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to hear the "tiny nurses" were real. Thanks. :)

9. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

I have a thing for "tiny nurses"...

10. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I could tell, just by your posts... :D

11. Still remember the coupe sitting in the front part of Orland's shop
    i was there working on David Crosby's Ferrari when Don told me about it he was redoing it for the movie
    lots of memories

on the original film in the drive in theater when first out this car was on a side street (it was cut out shortly after)
    [​IMG]
    the drivers side was just visable

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

What Scene??? When in the movie??

13. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Maybe meant Drive In Restaurant ?

14. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I found this image on the web a while back. Not sure if those are the real cars, if not they sure are close. Apparently a reunion shot by Annie Leibowitz.

Attached Files:

15. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Yes the Coupe is real. The 55 is a copy. P/S from my blog :cool:Jeff

16. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

17. Graffitti 32 good taking to you on the phone this eve

18. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Mmmmmmmm. Debralee Scott. She caused quite a stirring in the ol' Toughskins watching Match Game '76. Had no idea she died in '05 until I just Wiki'd her.

Love that overbite of Beverly D'Angelo too. Wished I was Sparky something fierce.

19. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

YES!! Thank You for taking the time.

20. slepe67

slepe67

Good info in this thread.

I have two questions: I've been pretty interested in the column drop they used in the coupe. I've read elsewhere that it was a Moon piece. Anybody know..ahem..how difficult it may be to find one?

Out of curiosity, who made the dash panel? Dumb quesion, but I'll ask anyways. Thanks for the help in advance.

21. JCW2110

JCW2110

The column drop is still being made by Offy and you can get it from speedway.:) The gauge panel was made by Stewart warner.

22. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

And finding an original is next to impossible. There are reproductions of it out there by Haneline. If you need one try
    [email protected]
    Put parts in the subject line. Brad is a great guy he got me a new gasket for my original panel. Jeff

23. JCW2110

JCW2110

Just made me remember...The show Rides that comes on Velocity channel, It's the episode thats about " Hot Rods".... I think the car club was the Burbank choppers?? They were building a bad ass Model T and in the background in a few of the senes was one of the Milner dash panels along with some cool vintage stuff hanging on the wall.. Cool episode!

24. slepe67

slepe67

Thanks fellas! I'll try 'em both and see which I like best.

Never would've even THOUGHT of Speedway!

25. Mike W.

Mike W.

Can't verify the LA Times ad but in San Francisco the coupe was listed for sale for $1800 in the paper, I know as I called on it and was told it was a misprint. I believe the 58, T-bird, and 55 were also for sale in the same ad, this was after the filming but before the movie came out. I don't know if it was Walt's 55 or the other but one was given away at a car show at the Cow Palace in Frisco shortly afterwards, I know we discussed it many years later but the details escape me now. :eek:

This movie has always been a favorite of mine, my '57 sedan I built upon returning to the States was supposed to be an extra in the movie (they put an ad out for period cars wanted in the paper) but the engine blew :( and being in the service it took a while before I could afford to fix my car and by then the filming was underway.

26. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Hey Mike
    I have always been told the Coupe price was a misprint I heard it listed for 1200 and was supposed to be 2500?? as for the 55 being given away this is the first I have heard of it. Guess I will start shaking the bushes to see what I can find out about that one. Jeff

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Something that I have always thought was odd was the fact American Grafitti bought and had cars built for the movie. Most times other similar movies simply rented existing cars from their owners on a daily or whatever basis. I wouldn't think a studio would want to be in the business of owning cars used in a movie.

Wonder why Lucas and the studio decided to lay out the money to have them built ? Surely they could have found suitable cars available to rent.

Don

28. From what I've read the white T-Bird was a loaner.
    The owner never strayed too far away when Suzanne Sommers was behind the wheel..

29. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Found this old pic of mine last night. Almost makes me want to paint the one I'm building black......
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Hey Don
    I can't say for shore. I do no Lucas was very particular about the way the cars looked. Colors and interiors. They had to build what he wanted. They didn't buy many cars and when you look at the condition and caliber of the ones they did:eek::eek::eek: Then they did not spend that much buying or repairing the cars. Being the cars were going to do their own stunts from ripping out rear ends,drag racing,small fender benders not to mention installing camera rigging and hanging crew all over the cars. Buying the main cars makes perfect sense to me. As far as I know there only owned 7 or 8 cars and when you factor in a VW an Edsel an old police car the way the Merc was built by the time they finally sold the cars after using them in different movies and TV I think buying the cars was a money maker for them I am surprised they don't do it more. Jeff