Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering wheel replacement ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by younggun13, Feb 23, 2012.

1. younggun13

younggun13

I'm in the process of building a 51 ford "shoebox", at the current stage I'm getting ready to take out the dashboard. I was hoping i could get some ideas from you fella's on what kind of steering wheel i should go with. I don't want the original in it, i just don't like it. also is there anyone who makes custom dashboards to replace the mesh face?

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

3. younggun13

younggun13

damn they do look very good, im kind of liking these three: 58' biscayne wheel, 59 oldsmobile wheel or the 59 cadillac wheel.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Those 3 wheels are also very nice. Check the splines or keyway to asure fit. Also check the diameter. The reproduced Crestliner wheel has a 15 in. dia.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, ya gotta go with something that will bolt to your column or go aftermarket with an adapter. whatever you do to the stock dash , which looks good to me, don't fill it up with aftermarket stuff and give it a streetrodder look. there are companies that make a replacement for speedo that have all of the other needed gauges already built into it. whatever stock parts you do not use be sure to post here For Sale. post some pics of your ride. have fun

6. I always liked the '49-'50 dash a lot better than the '51, and it should be the easiest thing to swap in. For the steering wheel, I like a '55 Ford wheel.

7. younggun13

younggun13

That's a great idea to swap out with a 49-50 dash. If i was to keep it i would replace the mesh with a metal like on the SW Hollywood cluster and instead of adding more i was planning on erasing a lot of the holes and having it just smooth metal besides the essentials. My question is if i get one of those steering wheels will i have to use an adapter? or what are my options? this is a big learning process its my first build. thanks for the input guys

8. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

I saw this link & would like to clarify our Crestliner will be 16" diameter & we are hoping for May/June for them.

9. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50