Register now to get rid of these ads!

Water/Methanol Injection as a gas-saver?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old Jupiter, Feb 10, 2012.

1. charlief1

charlief1
    from Texas

Got one of the Vari-jection units right now but no directions for it. Would you remember what the dials/settings do on it old man?

2. That was pretty much all they were anyway.

My newer set up is going to be a little high tech for me. originally I was going to use nitrous plates. Then I was looking at a nitrous setup on a dragster that dumps straight into the runners and thought why not. I am going to weld bungs into my runners and then get squiters from a hilborn setup. Run hard lines to them and let everyone wonder if I am running on squeeze.

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'll take a looksee in the old directions drawer @ the shop when I'm over there later today and get bck to you on those directions, it's been a long time.
    Dave

4. charlief1

charlief1
    from Texas

Thank you so much Dave. I've had the unit for 2 years and since I'm still working on the car (rustomod) I don't need it installed yet , but it's a Buick turbo V6 carb turbo and it needs all the help it can get.:)

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Found instruction sheet(s), 18 pages, PM your mailing address to me and I'll mail you photocopies.
    Dave

6. charlief1

charlief1
    from Texas

PM sent. Thanks again Dave. :)

7. Truckedup

Truckedup

I thought so,you seem sharper than me,:D
    Over rich jetting was used to some degree for full throttle detonation control on air cooled aircraft engines and motorcycle engines back when. I'm thinking EGR carburetor engines use a lot of mechanical advance and lean mixtures,relying on the EGR to cool things.Removing the EGR usually resulted in ping-o-matic at part throttle unless you modified the advance and or carb mixture.

8. shocker998md

shocker998md

damn charlief1, im pretty sure your over on the turbo buick sites right? Youve posted up some bodywork how to and what not. Seems like there more and more of us over here.

The only meth stuff Ive delt with is with an O/T car. Its a turbo'd buick, and I ran it so I didnt have to run 100-110 octane on the street. I run straight meth, no water and I was able to crank 26 lbs of boost on pump gas 93. Before I could only run 13-15 depending on the gas before I would ping. I say its a must do on a turbo'd engine, that way you crank the boost, cool the intake charge and only have to run pump gas.

Id have to dig around becuse the buick has been down for two years now so I dont remember whos kit I have, I know its not snow, its a smaller guy that deals with alot of the buicks and typhoons and what not. But mine is setup as a progessive deal where it will take readings from my TPS and MAP sensor. So I could program it for when it came on, and then how much it would spray. So I would spray at 5 lbs of boost just a little bit and then when I built higher boost it would then spray more.

Hope this helps some.

9. Turbo-Rocket Fluid! :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iieDedNEYuI

JK

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh hell yea, I'm sharp as a sack full of wet mice.:D

11. OGS41

OGS41

I used a Spearco unit in the 70's gas crisis on a Ram Air III GTO. It used vaccum and RPM as inputs and sprayed water/alcohol into the carb throat. I could advance the timing and with 3.73 gears got 16 mpg with a moderate combination of around town and highway driving. I also had an MSD ignition and headers. Haven't experimented with tnis since. (man that car went like a rocket as off topic as it was)

12. charlief1

charlief1
    from Texas

That's me alright.:eek: Got to finish up the frame and get the turbo finished up for the draw through system but being broke has kept me out of the shop lately.:mad: What most of the members over at TB don't realize is this is the first B4black car that will have a TE62 on it and a lot of mods to the chasis.:cool:

13. HotRodMonkey

HotRodMonkey

Hey Engine Man,
    I certainly respect that point of view and being cautious. Here's years worth of tests to sift through. http://www.snowperformance.net/magazine_articles.php

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I linked the article in my first response on that thread.

Ethanol doesn't have to be made from feed corn as seems tone the case, as a matter of fact it is one of the lease efficient ways to make it, switch grass and sugar cane are much better. As for methanol being more power than ethanol. Ethanol has more BTU's than methanol. http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/pdfs/fueltable.pdf

Ethanol can be made from garbage as well, or any bio mass. The enzymes to do just that are actually manufactured here in North Carolina.

15. 40fordconvt

40fordconvt

Anyone have a VITAMETER TO SELL OR PARTS ?

Attached Files:

16. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

WHY...oh WHY...is water always associated with being mixed with alcohol for use in automotive/motorcycle engines ?
    Fact, water does NOT burn.
    Fact, water does NOT aid in the combustion process.
    Fact, water takes up valuable space where alcohol could be.
    Fact, water does NOT cool the charge any better, more efficiently than...alcohol.
    Fact, water does NOT clean the combustion chamber any better than straight (or mixed) alcohol.

So...why is water used at all ? Makes no sense to me.

I've also (as some others have noted) used the windshield wiper system for ethanol/methanol injection in the 80's/90's.

Mike

P.S. - IF...this mix (water/alcohol) were used to spray the radiator (like in WW II), then yea, alcohol only could get expensive.

17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Maybe has something to do with converting water to steam? For expansion?

Bones

stealthcruiser likes this.
  18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

As Seb said, Crosley Hot Shot sports cars came with Thompson Vitameter as stock factory equipment in 1950. They also had 10:1 compression when the best hi test was 75 octane. They were pretty hot for their size, the 750cc Hot Shot had about the same performance as a 1250cc MG

The used a fluid called "Vitane" which was water, some alcohol to prevent freezing, and a shot of tetraethyl lead, the lead used in leaded gas.

You could use water and alcohol, the alcohol to stop algae growing in the tank and prevent freezing in winter. It was the water that cooled down the combustion chamber enough to prevent knock, and turned to steam when the cylinder fired.

The Vitameter basically reversed the vacuum signal, feeding more juice when vacuum was low and less when it was high. Today I am sure you could make a more sophisticated control system, by now no doubt somebody has .

The unit also steam cleaned the inside of the engine, keeping valves and combustion chambers clean as a whistle.