Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 f-600 " hot rod hauler " build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mastergun1980, Feb 21, 2012.

1. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I have a thread about getting this truck out of a barn, but It's time to move to a real build thread. I gave it like 3 good baths, spent some time with the 7" buffer and some medium cutting compoundand Then a little wax and it went from this.....
    [​IMG]
    To this .....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I still have to do the panelunder the grill, the drivers fender and door, but it's really starting to buff out! There are several spots where I got thruogh the paint so I'm gonna have to get some marine wax for now.
    I have the gas tank out and cleaned it out - It wasn't rusty just had lots of varnishy jelly - I used a half gallon of B-12 that was to nasty to put a carb in mixen with 2 gallons of gas. I left it outside for 2 days shaking it roughly several times a day- when I dumped it it was clean!

On to the motor the 272 is not locked up but has to valves that are stuck open just a little - I soaked them with kroil and tapped them with a hammer- no movement at all- I was going to put a set of ECG-Z heads on it but then a buddy contacted me abut a fairly fresh 292 he had- he ended up trading me it for some parts!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It has low miles on a recent rebuild - I have some cool Valve covers my wife got me and I added some cool decals!
    I have rounded up a 4 bbl intake, I rebuilt a autolite 4100, And scored a set of rams horns! Well SO far Im out $50 on the engine and all the parts! The gaskets make it $140 andd a little chrome hardware and it's 160. That leaves room for a cam in my budget! I picked out an old ford grind ( 57 t-bird w/ blower) which is susposed to be similar to an Isky E-4 torker-
    [​IMG]
    Gasket set - Valve covers , Intake, Carb
    [​IMG]
    Cam, 1 Manifold, Cam lube, some chrome nuts n washers
    SO Now I'm at $320.00
    My whole deal on this truck is to build a Cool low buck truck that sounds cool and I can haul old cars, and iron, whatever with. I think I will have less than $2000.00 in it when I start driving it
    Trading scrap for a set of decent tires from the junkyard!

I know it's kinda dumb, but don't knock my hot rod dump truck unless your dump truck is better! lol

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  2. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Very cool old truck. I like what you are doing with it!

3. Start getting a game plan together on how you'll get brake parts for the old girl. Start looking for donor options from later vehicles and study the differences in brake systems.
    Know the name of a shop in St. Clair MO for master cylinder rebuilds and maybe wheel cylinder rebuilds. Precision Rebuilders. I've known their reputation for over 20 years and recommend with confidence. You may know a truck parts store that does business with them on a regular basis.
    Brake Supply in Evansville IN might still have brake lining on hand.
    Drums?? If you find good used ones, you are ahead of the game.
    I know this stuff from the end of the hydraulic drum brake medium duty trucks, 1982 or so, and they are a nightmare for us to find much anything for them.
    Hey, I think the truck is pretty as a button and I would be proud to drive it if it was mine.

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

thatn buffed out pretty nice , when you get the engine running put up a sound clip id like to hear it with the cam

5. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I have checked with Napa and Oriely's and they said they can get me wheel cylinders and a master cylinder. I know where 4 more of these trucks are sitting so I'm sure I can scrounge some drums If I need em! The shoes on the front of the truck have a lot of meat on them and I hope the rears do as well- THis truck only as around 40, 000 miles on it . I plan on picking up a spare set of drums front & rear w/shoes ( or cores any way ) from the junkyard when I get tires .

6. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I am totally planing on it!

7. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Well tonight was productive- I got the cams changes and set my valve lash - got the oil pan, frot cover and valley pan cleaned up and re installed - got the intake on - painted the engine - made my choke stove line - made my vaccume advance hard line - got the valve covers on - and here's a picture - Sorry I forgot my camera and had to use my phone
    [​IMG]
    I need to order some manifold paint from eastwood for the rams horns. But it's comming together

8. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

oooooo engine pron at its finest

9. SvenOla

SvenOla
    from Sweden

10. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

that is a bad mofo!!

11. farmer12

farmer12

Going to be one great hauler!

12. shadams

shadams

That is cool as shit. I would love to have an old HD like that to...well....hell just to have. We have a late 60's early seventies dump out at our ranch that gets used and abused but doesnt have the coolness that one has...

13. brady1929

brady1929

14. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I have had may hands full with moving cars from the junkpile to the house along with some transmission issues with my daily drive... But Today Hope and I pulled the 272. I was transfered tothe day shift ( finally ) so Now I have a little free time in the evenings so I'll finish getting the 292 ready during my work week. Once I got the engine free from the transmission Hope finished lifitng it! We had a goos time today!
    [​IMG]

15. THE KUSTOMIZER

THE KUSTOMIZER
    from south nj
    1. 60s Show Rods

16. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Very cool. Outstanding helper. Please keep us updated.

17. I'm into this build....!
    Great start.

18. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Once the motor was out I found out I have one very messed up clutch. I have a buddy who has a centerforce clutch, same diameter , same spline same bolt pattern ... even came off the 292 I have it was in a 64 f-250 - He said it was for pulling It looks like it will work.... But it's a diaphram clutch .. Mine is a 3 finger ... so you'all think it'll work. ( the centerforce has less than 5000 miles and looks almost new.....

19. sololobo

sololobo

Cool project, and some darn cute help you have, Hope looks like she is diggin hangin with Dad, cool!! That y-block is beautiful, nice dressing and upgrading, rams horns rule! Best wishes on getting this dandy on the road. ~sololobo~

20. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

I'm subscribing since I love the big trucks, and love car haulers. Keep up the great work and I'm jealous of your scores!

21. Very cool build! I love old F-600s and that one will make a great "Hauler". Glad to see you keeping the Y-Block too.

22. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

On board for this one, love them Y-blocks! This oughta make a cool hauler!

23. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I got the pullys, brackets, engine mount and generator painted yesterday, and painted my timing marks today...

24. yardgoat

yardgoat

Looking great !!!!Ive got a D300 Dodge 1970 car hauler i had over 20 yrs ago .A divorce FORCED did i say FORCED me to sell it.That was a bad day,i know just a truck ,but that girlNever let me down but once ,a lot less than the other divorced one. Had a u-joint break,so no more go.I found her 5 miles from my house,the guy that bought her died and,lived in ALA and a man from the next town bought it.MADE my day.When i saw her again.Any way ive got a ? you in ur first post said something about marine wax ?I feel dum here but i thought wax was wax,never had a boat that needed wax just a old alum row. Im quessing its more heavy duty from being in the water,( dugh) but how will it help the paint ,or more protection for thin spots ?

25. willymakeit

willymakeit

Good looking truck. You dont find them in that good of condiion very often.

26. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Tonight I got the motor mount , balance, and generator on. I also noticed my valley pan was not sealed so I pulled the intake, put som silicone on the valley gasket. Gonna have to wait a couple days for a set of intake gaskets now!

27. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I have a couple of pics of the 292 in it's new home, You'll have to excuse the flamed valve covers and the way outta place scoop. I adjusted ( really just checked ) the valves on more time toinght and didn't get my chrome covers back on yet. I still haven't got an air cleaner, I am thinking about a chrome mushroom style - 12" or so, but they are kinda pricey and I'm kinda cheap so nothing yet! I turmed the motor over with the starter and I think it seems weak so I might put a different one I have on instead.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I still need to install the fan,pulley, radatio and surrounding sheetmetal. Then I am going to paint the cab floor.

28. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I decided to quit being a tight ass and ordered the air cleaner... After looking at the air cleaners I had laying around I knew I had get sonething better than the scoop or a 14" 289 chrome ( mustang style ) air cleaner

29. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Got a lot done today ... Here is the 292 with the right valve covers on wirth rad. hoses on to. Got it to fire over but carb troubles have kept me from doing anything else. ( real bad flooding I assume I have excessive fuel pressure )
    [​IMG]
    I'll tackle the carb tomorrow.
    I had painted the floor with p.o.r. 15 ( after a thourough wire brushing and cleaning with thinner ) yesterday. Today I sprayed dupli-color bed liner in it ( 3 cans ) - I then started reassembleing the floor- I then installed the gas tank-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I sprayed 3 layers and it has a light texture, It looked better than I could have hoped! I also was very pleased to find no rust holes whatsoever, barely any pits.
    I picked up a mr.gasket shifter boot and cut it to fit the e-brake and both of the dump controls - The dump controls are just 3/8 x 1 1/4" flat strap. I left the pto shifter alone but added a 3/8 bolt to the dump lever ( I am adding cool shifter to it! ) I left the nuts on it for now - But I shaped it nicely after the welding was finished.
    [​IMG]