Register now to get rid of these ads!

Filling or finishing the body roofline channels, Model A Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950ChevySuburban, Feb 22, 2012.

1. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

What are you guys doing, other than leaving the slotted holes in the roof edge channels on your A Sedans?
    I don't want mine unfinished, and don't really think filling them flat would look right. Any ideas?
    I'm using a filled roof, not cloth.
    Thanks!

2. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

I suppose you could put a vinyl overlay on the top and attach it utilizing the tack slots and hide 'em welting. The top would then have a stock look to it. Of course you would need the wood top header, side, and rear rails installed to be able to tack it down, you wouldn't need the ribs. Other than that, about the only other option I can think of, is to weld up the tack slots and fill the depression for a smooth looking transition to the filled roof. Maybe some other ideas out there?

3. j_johnson

j_johnson
    from Iowa

I used 1/2" solid rod and bent it to the shape of the channel, welded from the backside through the holes. Where the round rod meets the stock flat body line I ground the rod down to gradually blend into the stock lines.

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

3/16"X 1/2" rectangle stock, weld it up and smooth it out..

Attached Files:

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Looks good, what about over the sides? I'd like to keep that reveal.
    Looked to me like stacking 3/8 flat stock over 5/8 flat stock would get me close. What did you use?
    Then of course there's the rain gutter over the door, I'll deal with that later

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  6. Just a thought here. I can't say that I would do it without thinking real hard about it, but whay not make a piece of trim or a filler from stainless ?

like I said just a thought.

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Stainless wouldn't blend in with the side bodylines. I want to keep that raised reveal like in slddnmatts pics above.

8. j_johnson

j_johnson
    from Iowa

If you filled that area in with 3/8 flat there would be no need for a rain gutter

9. b-bop

b-bop

10. luckys8ba

luckys8ba

Do you not have the factory drip rails or just dont want them back on?

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I don't have the drip rails. I would like some at some point.

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Nice job B-bop! Turned out nice, not sure how I could bend a strip like that and have it look nice. The unistrut idea in the same thread sounds good too.
    Either way, looks like before attaching drip rails I should first fill the slotted channel with metal flush with the body.

13. b-bop

b-bop

This picture is when it was in metal only. You can see that the metal fills the channel and I welded in a filler strip to fill the channel that goes from the drip rail channel to the top of the roof. Very thin film of bondo to make it smooth.

Attached Files:

14. 4t7flat

4t7flat

What ever you do,don't fill it in smooth. Model A's look like hell without the rain gutter.

15. ^^^^^^
    What he said.

16. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Saving this one too... You'd think someone would be manufacturing a steel alternative by now.

17. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i saw one 1930 coupe that the owner made the gutters out of 1/2'' square tube that he cut the one side off. if he had'ent told me, i would'ent have known. he bent the shape first, then cut away most of the top and part of the side that goes against the body, welded them in from the back or inside. looked good.

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Agreed.