Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '62 Mercury Monterey Mild Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pacificustoms, Feb 7, 2012.

1. BenDaPirate

BenDaPirate

I'm glad you're finally putting this up Robbie. Look killer!! Can't wait to see it in person!

2. That's pretty slick! Slick!

3. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Its looking really COOL !

4. tjmercury

tjmercury

Very nice, really like the paint scheme

5. RussK

RussK
    from Atlanta Ga

Sweet.............

6. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Nice job! Love the paint.

7. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Very cool build! The dash looks great

8. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

Thanks guys!

While waiting for the dash to come back from being painted I lowered the car a little bit. I cut one and a half coils (I think) from the front and built some 1.5 inch blocks for the rear. Has a much better stance now. I also scored some wheel covers from the wrecking yard next door who were throwing out a lot.

[​IMG]

9. Damn that is going to look good. I love those taillights, I have a set on the back of my car.

10. 60 ford

60 ford

Your color combo is awesome, going to be a cool ride.

11. Nice car, you are doing a good job with it!

12. 007fab0

007fab0

Hi Robbie. Ranchero project is slow, but still going. Hope all is well... Shawn...

13. skoh73

skoh73

Very sharp! I like how the stripe runs through the negative space connecting all of the parts of the design. Your painter has skill and a great eye for design. Subscribed.

14. That is awesome, love the color choices!

15. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

The steering wheel on the car had a few issues, but overall was in great shape for its age. I fixed the cracks in the wheel the best I could (I'm no professional when it comes to steering wheel restoration), I repaired the pot metal horn ring that was cracked up in a few spots. The center of the wheel where the Mercury head is was cracked real badly. I was able to carefully cut it apart and machine up a new dome front from a solid chunk of acrylic and put back together. Luckily the Mercury head was in great shape! I think this steering wheel is one of my favorite pieces on car!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

17. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

18. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

My upholstery friend has been doing upholstery work his entire life and he's now 77 years old. He told me if I wanted anything done to the car (and was willing to help) to bring it over and we'd tinker with it. I jumped on the opportunity to get some carpet since no one made anything I liked. I wanted to go with a loop style carpet, but he was very against working with the loop carpet, so I had to settle (I'm not sure you can call it "settle" when it's more expensive) with this fancy mercedes carpet. All in all, it turned out fantastic!

I had some pieces of insulation donated from a couple customers left overs to help insulate the car. This stuff on the front floor works amazingly well drowning out sound. I don't think it's top notch on the heat side though. I put a few bits of the aluminum backed stuff under it in the high heat areas. You can also see the new seat mounts I fabbed up for some thunderbird buckets. I tried to use some Riviera bucket seats, but they didn't fit right on the floor in this car.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure why the carpet looks blue in this picture, it looks nothing like that color in person.

[​IMG]

My biggest critic, who rides with me everyday is much happier without the hot metal floors.

[​IMG]

19. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Loookingg GREAT !

20. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

Thanks for the compliments guys! This has been a really fun project. Ford built a very solid car that seems to be easy to work on.

Here's some finished shots of the dash all installed and the carpet and T-bird seats. You can see the carpet here is much darker green. It actually matches the pinstripe outline on the lace panels perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Fedman

Fedman

Nice Job, and Nice Car.

I think you did a great job on the Steering Wheel,
    it turned out Great!
    I think a Steering Wheel can really make or break the interior and that one looks perfect.

22. skoh73

skoh73

Top notch. Dash and wheel look unbelievable installed! Cool little Frenchy too.

23. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

After I got the dash all in and the interior started, the roof color really started to clash with the dash and the new color scheme.

You can kind of see that here:
    [​IMG]

So I decided to go ahead and have the roof painted solid green, the same green as the steering wheel. I was contemplating having panels done in the roof again with the same lace as the dash, but I really think the roof will look best green and I'm not sure how creme panels would look, so it would have to be green, then painted creme and then have green fades in creme panels... I decided just to go solid green for now and maybe have the panels done down the road. Or maybe have the bottom done in the creme with green fades and then keep the roof solid green?

Anyways, we fixed all the little areas to send it off to get painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also shaved the side emblem pieces as they weren't in great condition and I can't find any decent ones.

24. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

Thanks! I agree. A lot of the original steering wheels had so much character and design to them. I loved the way it goes with all the trim on the dash so I had to keep it.

Thanks! She's an awesome dog with tons of personality!

25. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

Well, the car's still out getting the roof painted. I've been working with the un-fun task of polishing up windshield and window trim pieces to be ready when I get the car back. I did get some goodies in the mail the other day.

At the end of last year, I built a headphone and ear bud display for Kicker electronics to use at the CES show in January.

[​IMG]

As a little bonus to building the display they sent me a couple pairs of component speakers, an amp and small sub, along with a new product to run an iPod or iPhone directly to an amp. I know there are many ways to do this that are pretty easy, but this one has a neat small control panel to do volume, track and playlist. My plan is to hide away the control panel in a console down the road.

[​IMG]

26. BenDaPirate

BenDaPirate

Awesome! Can't wait to see more.

27. zep058

zep058

Fantastic job! Certainly an inspiration for my mild build.

28. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

I got the car back from having the roof painted! It's a little darker of a color then I thought, however, everywhere else the color is it's faded. I like the color. In the sun it has a cool copper/gold pearl in it. I'm not sure what the color was off of, I picked it from a color chips with hundreds of greens in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might have panels painted in the roof later on, but I'm more leaning to doing the lower part of the car like the dash and maybe leaving the roof solid. For now, onto polishing all the stainless window trim!

29. rebarsfords

rebarsfords

Very cool car & nice build on it. I like what you've done. Nice!