Register now to get rid of these ads!

60th. Detroit Autorama, ,… While the City sleeps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> It&#8217;s the first night/ morning of set up in COBO Hall ,&#8230; And it is quite obvious that the 60<sup>th</sup>. Annual Detroit Autorama will be an extraordinary show, Even with displays still in boxes, carpet in rolls, car covers on,&#8230; All sorts of things laying around for a big buzz of activity all day tomorrow and into the night preparing for Friday&#8217;s big opening of what is undeniably an American Hot Rod Tradition that goes back 60 years.

It&#8217;s very early in the morning 2:45 AM, I just stopped for my coffee break, the air is cool and still, occasional the people mover rumbles past above the hall on it elevated track, I had the laptop in the car, so I decided to take a few minutes to share the calm before the storm with the brotherhood of the HAMB.

There is an electricity in the air inside this large expanse of show floor that has played host to so many Detroit Autorama&#8217;s and Detroit Auto Shows. So many events, So many people,.. That have filled this hall in years and decades gone by. And with each passing year, I wax more nostalgic thinking of all the old friends that wandered these shows that live on only in our hearts and memories now,&#8230;.

Earlier as I rode past the registration area near the big back door,.. I thought of Al Manard standing there just last year, as he had done for so many years,&#8230; Working at his post for the MHRA.
    Bob Kiaser, Larry Alexander, Ed Roth, Frank Mack, John DeLorian , Barry Lobeck, Joe Pitrico, Dave Lukari, Al Manard. The list gets longer every year of those that wandered this arena with smiles and excitement, all sharing the common interest of all things Hot Rod, Custom & Race Car in years gone by.

Every year as the hall is quiet (except for MHRA and Cobo Security as well as regular Detroit Police presence,&#8230;.all quietly making our rounds) I think a lot about those that we have lost, and what big contributions they made to The Detroit Autorama and Hot Rodding in general,&#8230; and how I can still see them in my minds eye,&#8230; And just for a moment,&#8230;it feels like there still here.

If there was ever a Detroit Autorama NOT to miss, This is it!,&#8230;. The 60<sup>th</sup>. Annual Detroit Autorama will be an absolute &#8220;must see&#8221;&#8230;.. I might not see you here,.. But rest assured, I,.. as well as the memory of a lot of old friends wandered the show together, While the city sleeps.

I will post my normal show pictures after I get back home,.....

Enjoy !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Harms Way

Harms Way

3. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Wow... that is gonna be pretty cool.

I look forward to the event pics!

-W

4. troylee

troylee

is that the webb streamliner. thta 32 tudor not in the display is sweet

5. Thanks for the pics and commentary! I wish I could make it up there, but it is quite a haul for me. My brother, "just Matt" sent me a couple pics from setting up last night. Looks like it will be a great show!

6. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Thanks for the great pics! Looks like it will be a great show. Hope it doesnt snow too much tonite. I cant wait to see that 57 Custom 300 "up close & personal".

7. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

i will be attending for the first time with my son. Can't wait to get there.

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always enjoy your posts of the show, Harm's Way.

9. Simple.

Simple.
    from Troy, MI

Thanks for sharing Dennis, I missed last year so I can't wait to get down there and start drooling.

Jon

10. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yep that is Webb's Streamliner,... well, just got back to my friends place,.. And I am whipped !,... 9:15 A.M. and I'm hitting the rack........

11. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Wish I was going. Looking forward to the coverage.

-Dave

12. I'll be there with the PoorBoys.. and the wife is there with the "Unholy Apparel" booth..... Looking forward to your coverage of this event...

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

Heres just a couple teaser shots,.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Harms Way

Harms Way

15. Matthew

Matthew
    from Burien, WA

Looks like an amazing show; wish I was closer!

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, this should be a good one. I'll once again be one of those waiting far away to see the photos that are posted.

17. I've been to Autorama most of the years of my life. I missed a couple here and there of late, young family and all.

I guess I kind of take Autorama for granted. I mean, it's right in my back yard. And it's always been a part of my life. Like Big Daddy. Ed Roth was at every Autorama I could remember. The year before he died, Dad asked if we should go see him. I said Nahh, he'll be here next year. "It's probably not worth waiting in that line." Ever regret something you said? I sure do.

I'll be there, on Sunday this year, again due to family (same weekend as the Blue and Gold banquet for Cub Scouts- we'll have to plan that better next year ;) ), but this time, I'll savor it. Because reading the posts on the HAMB, there are a lot of car guys that can't make it. And I feel for them. There really isn't anything like it.

See you in the basement!

JK

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  18. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Best of luck to the group from Wicked Fabrication and Byers Custom here in Seattle that are showing the 57 ford upstairs.

19. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Great pix ! I was supposed to be there, but due to Darryl's Tulsa Show being so close to this one I'll have to wait till next year.

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

21. Chemin

Chemin

I'm really looking forward to going on Saturday. Thanks for the setup pics.

22. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I'D love to unwrap one of those special necklace's and drive the shit out of it all night long then take it back wrap it up like it was and see the look on the owners face! they are cars made to drive!! I know they are nice but man I never plan on building anything soo nice you can't drive. One day I will build one really nice But I will drive it !!

23. ac duster

ac duster

thanks for pics will be at show all day sat going sents 64

24. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Your post is appreciated by those of us on the West coast. Thanks.
    Lynn

25. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Great pictures - Thanks for looking after my car this weekend:D

26. Mattbee

Mattbee

You are so lucky Dennis!!!:D I can't wait till Saturday. Talk to you later

27. grabrr

grabrr

Thanks for the pic's!! I was going to have a hard time sleeping tonight as it was, now I'm even more excited to go tomorrow. This will be my 25th year going, and the second year without one of my best car buddies, we'll have a beer for him tomorrow.

28. LabRat

LabRat

Thanks Harm , always cool to see these shots , and your a champ for doing the graveyard shift ... Although I imagine it must be quite surreal , wouldn't take much to believe that all the little noises you hear are the spirits of past rodders checking out the new builds on display ...

29. hemifarris

hemifarris

Your after hours photos are like the calm before the storm. Excellent shots....Mike

30. 50's dreams

50's dreams
    from colo spgs

Man I wish I could make it out there this year. But a newborn baby is more rewarding