Register now to get rid of these ads!

hemi info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by amalgamated, Feb 22, 2012.

1. amalgamated

amalgamated

A friend of mine's son in law scraps for a hobby he junked out a late 50's D500 Dodge truck with a hemi in it ask if i wanted to buy it did some lookin on the WWW found some info but all the listing was 4 bbl or 2 4bbl carb set up this one is 2bbl was it a stock set up? just know much about mopars is it worth my time? are poly motors good or bad? Thank's

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The truck hemis typically had a 2 barrel.......the 4 bbl and dual 4 bbl were passenger car applications. Depending on the exact year truck this came from it could possibly be a 270, 315 or even a 354, though that last one was usually in a bit larger truck.

No matter which of the three it may be, it's worth saving. You can determine exactly the engine model by checking the numbers stamped in the top of the block, just behind the water pump and in front of the tin valley cover. There will be a prefix..something like VT434 or some such, plus a serial number following. The prefix is the model number. There are threads on the HAMB with lots of hemi info. But if you find the number I referred to, post it here and me or someone else will decode it.

Ray

3. amalgamated

amalgamated

Thank's Ray did not have the numbers off of the block when i was looking on the web might go look harder this weekend

4. 35desoto

35desoto

The engine number will be stamped on the block at the front of the valley cover but behind the water pump. Normally they are covered in crap but they are AastaMPED IN PRETTY HARD SO SCRAPE THE CRAP AWAY AND LET US KNOW WHAT YA GOT
    iF ITS A HEMI - ITS WORTH IT

5. snaptwo

snaptwo

X3 on the serial numbers, I found a nice 270 core a few years back out of small dump truck (wish I'd kept it !) Even some polys can make a good start for a traditional rod, again get the numbers as they are in the same place. Happy hemi hunting !!