Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Scarlett fever 2012 a benefit for scarletts special needs & rett syndrome awareness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob James, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Bob James

Bob James
    from San bruno

[​IMG]

Scarlett Fever is an annual benefit that exists to give support to Scarlett James, an incredibly brave eighteen year old Bay Area native who is leading a very difficult life. At a young age, Scarlett was diagnosed with Rett Syndrome, a disorder of the nervous system that leaves it’s victims, almost exclusively girls, unable to walk, talk or feed themselves. They need twenty-four hour a day care because of the horrible seizures and breathing difficulties associated with this only recently officially recognized affliction.

Luckily, Scarlett is part of an amazing family, as well as an entire subculture that knows how to take care of their own. She is an official member of The Road Lords car club, who boast over 50 members with 5 chapters spread out over both coasts. They truly function as a family, and Scarlett is very much everyone’s adopted daughter or little sister.

Scarlett Fever benefits take place on both coasts, The San Francisco show is always held at the DNA Lounge in March, while Scarlett Fever East is held in June at Maxwell’s in Hoboken, and is hosted by the New Jersey and New York Road Lords chapters. The outpouring of love and support for these successful events has been nothing short of miraculous and awe-inspiring. So, while Scarlett Fever is indeed a benefit, it feels much more like a celebration. While there is no cure for Rett Syndrome and those affected do lead tremendously diminished lives, Scarlett’s parents Bob and Rosa decided long ago that they were going to give their daughter the best life possible, and this event is the living embodiment of that pledge.

Top bands, burlesque performers and even authentic Hawaiian dancers all line up to contribute their unique talents, and the auctions at these events have become the stuff of legend. Mike Ness, a long time friend of the family and Scarlett’s Godfather, dutifully sends autographed guitars to both shows. Local builder and co-sponsor Skoty Chops spends the months leading up to the event building custom bicycles and pedal cars to be auctioned off. Top kustom kulture artists and pin stripers like Keith Weesner, Mr. Wim, Jeff Norwell, Egge, Jeff Allison, Speedcult, Rich Luna, Steve Caballero, Dirty Donny, Pizz, Terry T-Bonez and countless others have contributed art, while The Rodder’s Journal, Mooneyes, Gambino Customs, Trophy Queen, Behind Bars Inc., Cole Foster, and many other car clubs including the Burbank Choppers, Dragoons, Poor Boys, Rumblers, and Piratas M/C have also sent in various contributions, all proceeds generated by these donations go to much needed therapy and medical supplies.

In the end, that may be what makes Scarlett Fever so unique. With any other charity, you never really know where your donation is going. Here, you not only meet Scarlett, you become an extended member of the family yourself, and can truly see her progress. You are making a difference in this very special person’s life, and you’ll have a great time doing so, a win/win situation if there ever was one. – Mike LaVella

2. 62dartman

62dartman

I try and make this one every year (hoboken, nj), as they always put on an awesome show inside and OUT. Plenty of cars and hot rod parking out front (a plus in hoboken!). Get out there and support a great cause and buy some cool stuff!!!

3. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

stigma 13 is locked and ready to rock! hope EVERYONE makes it out!

4. axle

axle
    from Drag City

A great event for a great cause.

5. 1oldracer

1oldracer

I can't make it, but if you give me an address I will send some pieces for the auction.

rj

6. rat pink

rat pink
    BANNED

cant wait till this show always amazing people ....id love to throw down some art for the auction! hopefully this year i will not get a ticket for parking in the red or find home less people sitting on my car, lol

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We're getting revved up for this at the shop!

8. CarolynNaborsc

CarolynNaborsc
    from new york

I try and make this one every
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. jasone

jasone

Good luck to the James familia, hope that the fund raising goes well. One of these years I won't be broke and will be able to make it up for this amazing event for an amazing kid.

10. texas rattler

texas rattler
    from texas

my heart and prayers go out to them ,hope they raise alot. i know where their comming from.

11. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Great cause.

Is there a way to bid for items online?

12. Bob James

Bob James
    from San bruno

Hey buddy, I tried to send you a pm but your box is full.
    Send me a pm and i will give you an address to send your art donation to. Thanks so much, We need all the help we can get.
    Respectfully,
    Bob James

13. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

Bob I am working on some photos to send you guys for next years as I just got a new (to me) 1949 Graflex medium format film camera.

Here is a photo from the test roll I shot last week
    [​IMG]

14. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I just gave some Vintage Torque DVDs to Mike LaVella from Gearhead Magazine yesterday! Hope you guys have a good turnout.

15. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

This weekend be there!!!

16. It's an honor to be asked to support Scarlett Fever. I gave a set of these signed prints to Mike LaVella from Gearhead Magazine at the Detroit Autorama a couple of weekends ago. I wish you a great turnout for this wonderful cause!! -Mark

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

Mark I am blown away by your art brother!

18. See you all there!