Register now to get rid of these ads!

JB Weld, what crazything have you done with it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Nov 19, 2004.

1. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Blew a flywheel on a 69 Mustang 428 Cobrajet NHRA stocker and took about 5 inches out of the top of the block where the bellhousing bolts on. Took it out & put it in the corner. Years later I cleaned all the 5 pieces , coated the edges with JB Weld, fitted them in place, then bolted a bellhousing on it until it dried. As far as I know the engine is still running around in a 62 galaxie

2. psychopathic51

psychopathic51

Bought a 327 SBC years ago, was bored 60 over, the guy I got it from swore it was a good engine. After I paid for it, got it home and started bragging on it word on the streets was it was blown up. I sold the car i planned to put it in and my cousin wanted it REALLY bad so I sold it to him for what I paid for it, $300 and told him what I had heard. He tore it down to rebuild and one cylinder was FULL of antifreeze and pitted really bad from sitting like that. He mixed up some JB Weld and filled the pits in the cylinders and let it set up then honed all the cylinders and rebuilt the motor. Through it in a OT camaro and drove it for a year, a local dirt track driver wanted the motor and wouldn't take no for an answer so he told if he wanted it he had to buy the whole car. He told him about the cylinder and what he had done and the guy laughed and bought the car for like $3500. Pulled it apart and rebuilt the motor and called my cousin and said "You weren't kidding about that cylinder were you!" he ended up rebuilding the motor just like it was and ran it for like 3-4 years in his dirt track car before it threw a rod through the block.

Crazy things can be done with JB Weld.

3. Truckedup

Truckedup

Felled tree hit my expensive chainsaw and cracked the fuel tank.JB patch has held for 4 years.
    My 50 Chevy PU had a loose kingpin. Problem on the floating bushings used on 1/2 ton when the spindle hole gets egg shaped.Usual fix is to have the spindle holes bored oversize and fit custom bushings.I cleaned it up,coated the bushing with JB ,pushed them into the spindle followed by the king pin to keep it all in alignment.Been good for a year now.

4. 31HotRodLincoln

31HotRodLincoln

Repaired a 1940 water pump hole crack. hasn't leaked yet

5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a 20HP Evinrude outboard that got some water in the lower unit. It froze and cracked the housing. We put a new seal in it, patched the crack with JB and ran it for years before I sold it. Good Stuff!

6. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Drilled out the hole in an aluminum head on my Seabring convertible. The head came from a coupe and the EGR location was there, just not drilled. I begin careful drilling, only to come out the other end outside of the head. JB that hole and drilled the remainder of the hole offset. It has worked for 2 years now. Smelled a little funny the first couple of times it heated up, no prob.s now.

7. Which is not a bad deal only this one was brought back by a spammer. Ryan or one of the mods got em though. Thanks guys.

8. I fixed a cracked banjo fitting on my 49 Harley tanks,was a banjo fitting with a chrome steel line to the right tank from the front petcock on the left tank. JB weld sealed crack for 3 years till the little girl T-boned me...alot more gave way than that JB weld then....

9. Smokey2

Smokey2

Hey To Hillbilly (frum anutter Hillbilly ),

What's A WHOLE ??? Is that the same as four Quaters ?

Err, Is that sumpthin' U put a Fense Post en ??????? Clarify Please
    Thanks,
    Smoked Up, In tha Great Smokey Mts of Tennessee

10. Road Runner

Road Runner

JB Weld should post a link to this thread on their website...

11. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

I had a snowmobile w/a Y-type split about 8" long,roughed up the area real good washed it off & mixed up a bunch of JB & put it in the basement for a couple of days w/a light on iyt keeping it warm.It worked the rest of the winter ,bounced it around alot & never leaked.

12. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I repaired a fuel tank with it, never had to do anything else to it.

13. Not really a crazy thing but,I used it to bond the dipstick tube into my block while doing the engine build-up.....just cleaned the tube really well,..used a small round wirebrush and cleaned the hole in the block...wiped it down with laquer thinner, smeared it with JB Weld ...hammered that sucker in and it's there to stay .no leaks,no squeaks,no rattles
    Stan

14. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I had a very early 289 timing chain cover spring a leak and dump all the coolant into the pan. I found the culprit, a corrosion pinhole in the cover, slathered it with JB weld, and bolted it back on. Never leaked a drop after that.
    Second miraculous save was when my wife bought an expensive set of cast iron fireplace tools. Within a week, I broke the poker tip in half. In a panic, I glued it back on with JB weld, let it sit overnite and we're still using it, in the fire nearly 20 years later!

15. caseyrod

caseyrod

that ch@@ its great I have use it for over 25 yrs but it works best with plastic's. I ve have repair many side view mirrors that never even after 10 yrs have become lose. great to repair crack steering wheels!

16. When I got this 1940's Crouse-Hinds 4-way traffic light it had a half-moon chunk broken out of the lower cover. I took some aluminum foil and made a mold from the opposite side of the cover. I mixed a batch of JB Weld and filled the mold which I had taped to the broken cover. A few hours later I removed the mold and was amazed at the repair. After primer and green paint, the repair is invisible! Good stuff.

Jim

Attached Files:

17. lowball27

lowball27

Used JB weld and dimes to seal an exhaust leak for an inspection on an 85 Diplomat. Got it to pass surprisingly???

18. Mac_55

Mac_55

this is just a funny one that involves jb weld .

Had a guy come up to me trying to sell me an ot 4x4 chevy . He said " its fully restored , all steel no bondo , 13k" now this was just a run of the mill 86 chevy 4wd , apparently fully restored meant black primer. I walked over to see what was so special and i noticed the cab corners looked like they were litterally melting . it had more stalagmites hanging from it than a road side cavern . i said " i thought you said this was all steel , not bondo " to which he replied " thats not bondo , thats 2 cases of jb weld liquid steel" ... I damn near choked LOL.

19. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

First time I heard of it was when I swapped a long block rebuilt engine into my brother-in-law's 82 Malibu. We used the old oil pan and it had rotted out under the gunk in a rib on the side. I asked at work for ideas for patching it. One guy suggested JB and it held for years.

Second time I used it to glue and fix a recurring leak in my A's radiator. Vibration kept loosening the solder that held the under hood filler neck. JB has been on it for years now.

Third time was a leaky freeze out plug on my son's Ford Tempo. Cleaned it up and glued it shut. I gave up on the car when it blew another plug between the engine and trans a few months later.

Great stuff!

20. My friend's Case tractor froze and had spider web cracks all over the side of the block. He used a Dremel and made little valleys where the cracks were and drilled the end of each one.

Then he used JB to fill the cracks.
    Then mixed a large batch and troweled it on thick over the entire side of the block.

That was 10 years ago and he's still using it.

21. JB Welded some heels back on my wife's high heeled shoes one time.

This evening, I have the JB Weld drying on a throttle cable housing bracket on my 54.

22. wrench409

wrench409
    Member Emeritus
    from Here

Never tried it on a kitten............

But I did a pre-release consumer test ( some years ago) with a unique super glue product and have had excellent results on everything I tried it on.

It's called RapidFix and it is what appears to be superglue with a carbon fiber powder you sprinkle over the wet superglue. Dries rock hard!

I repaired a laptop computer hinge with it a few years ago (HP wanted too much for the parts and it was JUST out of warranty).

It's available just about anywhere now. Bing or Google.

23. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Had a couger with a c-4 that we kept blowin up cause we like racin so much.So we just drilled a hole and put a bung in there to drain the fluid. To seal all this half-assin up we just JB-welded it and it lasted thru many re-builds and constant abuse.

24. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I have used JB Weld for many things over the years but on e which I did about 8 years ago comes to mind.

It was a pool pump impeller that had split in half and I did not feel only heading over the the store and purchase a new one so I JB Welded it back together and 8 years later it is still working fine with no problems.

I find JB Weld as many uses and when things like plastic water overflows break I just JB Weld back together again.

Great product with thousands of uses.

Jimbo

25. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Some say it can mend a broken heart and fix the crack of dawn.

I've used it to fix oil pans, gas tanks, etc.

26. mikyboy

mikyboy

filled a leaking freeze plug on a chevy. same on a thermostat housing

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  27. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I use the super glue on small cuts all the time...works great!:D:D

28. Dawn who???

29. DANSLED

DANSLED
    from CW, Ohio

i bought a kool old antique push mower at an auction for 2 bucks, had a 2hp briggs motor on it. took it home, tinkered on it, got it running, ran great, mowed great, .... til i hit a rock, bottom of the block cracked/spilt clear across. my old man chews me out and tells me i have to buy a new one now. i got the jb out mixed up and glued the block pieces back together. next day fired it up, mowed with it for another 3 years!

everyones toolbox should always have duct tape and jb weld!!

30. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I used it as a sandable, heat resistant body filler on valve covers once.