Register now to get rid of these ads!

Elimiating odor in cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Asphalt Outlaw Hero, Feb 17, 2012.

1. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

fire D, comes in a little aerosol fogger can, its made to get the odor out of a home after a fire. open the door- toss in fogger can- close door- go in the house and drink beer. by the time you sober up the car will smell like roses.

2. 39 Ford

39 Ford

A box of baking soda in a plastic container with holes punched in does wonders.Also good in your frige.

3. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FYI, wineries will often have some fresh coffee grounds for you to take a whiff of in between types of wine that you are testing. When I lived in Washington in the tri-cities and in West Australia, they did that.

4. put an Iranian guy in there...

thats what Im doing to my bus.

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

If you can leave the car standing for a day or so, leave a bowl of vinegar inside it. If not, squirt some vodka using a spray bottle.

6. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Move to another town, and leave the family behind!

7. NoBackPressure

NoBackPressure

I've used full strength simple green to clean everything. Seems to work good on organic smells, at least on some of my cars in the past.

8. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Musty....lol!:)

9. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Depends...

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I walked by a R.Rod at a show last year and I stopped in my tracks. The window was open and it smelled exactly like the old cars in the junk yards that we crawled around in removing parts. It really brought back the junk yard memories. I had to walk back and check it out again. Unbelievable! I never found it pleasant but we did what we had to do. The memory was pleasant but not the aroma.

11. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

They used this in my house a few years ago after a fire and it worked great.

12. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

1. I tried that and the mice ate the Irish spring soap. They also found an unopened box and ate through the box to get at the soap which they also ate. Must be Mass. mice.

13. robber

robber

I think "Febreze" and "Ozium" both are very good.

14. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I poor coffee grounds in my garbage cans to kill odors.......it works pretty good for that except it always smells like fresh coffee for about a week.............

15. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

That is fresh coffee grounds....NOT THE ONES YOU'VE JUST RAN WATER THROUGH IN YOUR MAKER.........

16. afaulk

afaulk

The smell may be coming from the carpet/pad, if it has been wet and not force dried with the heater. Remove them and clean the carpet and floorpan. Dry in the sun or with a heater and replace the pad if necessary. Anytime your carpet is shampooed or if the car gets rained in, the engine /heater should be run on high, with one window cracked, for about 3-4 hrs. minimum, or until completely dry. There can be other probs, such as a leaky heater core wetting the carpet and smelling like anti-freeze. Febreze and other products make the car smell good temporarily but you need a permanent fix. Good luck

17. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Check the trunk, there may be a body in there. Decomp, even if you get rid of it, you will smell just out of memory.

18. jazz1

jazz1

Makes ya wonder 'bout the previous owner..I bought a truck years ago and it stunk,,asked the owner when I was looking it over if a dog had been living it,,,he said no and had no idea what I was talking about..Ended up throwing the bench seat out and washing interior with Lysol,,then leaving the Pine scent freshers,,that worked. Mystery as to where these odors originate eh!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Roll down the windows.

20. Turbo442

Turbo442

I have used activated carbon from the pet store. It's for aquarium filters and cheap. Throw some in an old nylon and toss them under the seats and in the trunk. We did that in two cars that were smoked in heavily and now you can't tell at all. It does take a few days to a few weeks. I didn't read thru the whole thing so sorry if somebody else already mentioned it and I missed it

21. codeblu

codeblu

I leave a rusty hammer under the seat of my O/T late model daily driver so that it at least smells like an old car inside.

22. Throw da' bitch out! :D

23. hemifarris

hemifarris

Pull the door panels and carpet. blow out the dust. fog a couple coats of the cheapest spray cans of paint you can buy ,then replace the panels and carpet. If it just needs a slight freshen up, you can occasionally put sliced oranges or apples in a small bowl under the seat for a day or so.........Mike

24. Spray Febreze heaviy inside car. Roll windos up, close doors. Leave sitting for a few days. Then roll windows down and leave down for a few days. Should be fine, I have never had a problem again. If you do burn the car and quit whining.

25. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Don't you dare spray anything in your car.
    This is the HAMB and THAT smell is traditional!!!!!!
    MrC.

26. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

stop the pickled egg , brussel sprout and olympia beer diet

27. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

MAN that makes my gut ache just thinking about it:(

28. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

This was a trick the Truckers taught me when I worked at the pallet yard. We would spray out the trailer and they would toss in some coffee grounds to get the rotting meat smell out. They would also put a little bleach in the fans to keep berries fresh longer.

Might have to try the coffee out in my new Stude.

29. I put a small mesh bag of charcoal under both seats and in the trunk. I did this last year over the winter while it was in storage. Come spring all the odours were gone and they never returned in the summer !

30. markl350

markl350

I had a family of mice move in and die in the heating & air conditioning ducts of my F350 diesel pu. It took $1,200.00 worth or work and I could still not get rid of it entirely. When you turned the heat on it was so bad my eyes would water and I would start coughing after a half hour ride. I ended up trading the truck in last fall...couldn't stand it any longer!