Register now to get rid of these ads!

JB Weld, what crazything have you done with it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Nov 19, 2004.

1. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

common dental amalgam contains mercury. Spitting out the amalgam that the dentis works off a filling constitutes a significant source of mercury polution of water going into waste water treatment plants. Autopsies have shown the mercury content in bodies is many times proportional to the number and size of amalgam filings the cadaver had. Brushing teeth and chewing gum and food releases trace amounts of mercury from amalgam fillings.

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

1968 Corvette 327, 350 horse,
    had oil and water mixing
    found the valley was badly cracked around the lifter bores.
    cleaned, JB Welded
    no more problem

3. Put the first small block Chevy in my '38 Ford pickup in about 1985 or so, using original Ford radiator which means I had to close off one extra outlet at top and bottom. Did it with steel freeze plugs of the right diameter and JB weld. Been holding 24 years and no sign of leakage.

4. madpiper

madpiper

i used jbw on the ashtray of my 53 dodge!! the back broke out and is made of potmetal
    and its still holding.

5. flynstone

flynstone

how about snorted some........................well kinda, breathing wilst grinding some smooth..........no buzz

6. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

I used JB Weld at my job to glue UID tags (military version of a UPC barcode) onto various pieces of military "equipment". Don't ask, use your imagination.

The super-engineered high-tech adhesive we were provided was $250 for a container about the size of a small butter tub and it didn't work for shit.

I ran down to the local parts house, bought a $12 JB Weld industrial epoxy kit, and it worked great. One kit was enough to glue well over a hundred tags.

We shipped a large majority of the "equipment" to Iraq and Afghanistan and haven't yet heard of any problems with the tags coming off even in rough battlefield conditions.

7. Repaired pitted axle seal journals, repaired/made knife handles from the stuff, fixed leaking pitted motorcycle fork tubes, fixed a leaky disc brake piston

8. Tim Cowan

Tim Cowan

I JBed a 1944 Army Jeep rearend that had a crack and leaking grease from the cast iron. Worked well until I traded it off. JB is #1 for gas tank repairs, fire and welding scares me on fuel tanks....TIM

9. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the damn truck I bought in high school!:D

10. Greasy64

Greasy64

[He's the same guy that glues cuts shut with superglue after squirting them out with Brake cleaner...Ouch.[/QUOTE]

I do this all the time. It works well and you don't have an open wound or a soggy band aid.

11. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

The original 1917 Ford radiator in my rod was leaking in one corner where the core attaches to the bottom of the top tank. The radiator shop looked it over and proclaimed the core too thin to be soldered.

I inverted the radiator and cleaned the area really well with lacquer thinner. I mixed up a batch of JB Weld. I warmed the mixture in hot water so that it would flow nicely (this also causes it to set faster, so I had to work quickly). I used what's called an irrigation syringe to squirt the JB Weld over the offending area, working from the center outwards. I'd mix a small batch at a time and kept going until the leaky area was well covered including the surounding area.

The radiator has not leaked since and you cannot tell that this repair was done since it was on the under side of the upper tank. For the frirst couple of months the radiator had that JB Weld smell when the motor got good and hot.

12. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

used to it fix a Jesse James west coast choppers gas tank on my last bike the day I got it back from the paint shop! Popped a leak at the back, needless to say I was p*ssed! However, it sanded and was able to be feathered in nicely! My grenade shifter on Mizz Moonshine is JB welded as well! Next, Trim holes and shaving the door handles... wonder how well it would work on the hood seam? hmmmmm

13. My wife's '54 DeSoto engine block had a repair that was fixed with blue goo when we got it. We found out the hard way.

So I dug out all the blue goo, sprayed the block down with brake cleaner, mixed up som JB and slathered in place, smoothed it out and let it dry.

Perfect!!! Still!!

I like it.

BTW...I'm still pissed that the block was fucked. Oh well.

BloodyKnuckles

14. junkman123

junkman123
    from axton,VA

got a set of rectangle port big block chevy heads that i got a lot of money in,and when one cracked from the combustion chamber over into a water port i had it welded with nickel but the guy ground to much metal out after welding, the head gasket wouldn't seat,so i cleaned it up good spread a nice smooth layer on the head surface,let it cure for a couple hot days in the sun then took it to the engine shop and had it surfaced back smooth.works great.
    also got a 283 that froze up one year and swelled the sides of the block out,both sides were full of small cracks that were leaking water,so i wire brushed the hell out of them and forced the JB into all the cracks,let it cure.that was almost 15 years ago,still no leaks.
    i guess its all in the prep...

15. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Made a slant six thinwall aluminum one barrel manifold into a 90* mounted two barrel job by hand milling off the mount plate and cobbling up a new one. Just for shits & giggles I decided to attach it with screws and JB Weld rather than weld it on. Also used the JB for filling the auto-welded seam pot holes and the vac port plugs I made up.

Two years daily driver and she's still running just fine. :cool:

16. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

I've used it to smooth joints on motorcycle frames before powdercoating. The powdercoat sticks to it the same as metal, doesn't shrink or crack either. It's sandable etc. same as filler too.

17. bowtie40

bowtie40

I have heard that some guys have used it to fix intake ports in cylinder heads thet were ground too thin, sounds logical...

18. May Pop

May Pop

I used it to repair the gas tank sending unit on my sons Jeep. Its on the side of the tank so partly submerged. It rusted out where the wires come out for the pump and sending unit.I cleaned up both sides added a dollop of 4 hour on each side and still not leaking after a year.
    Ron

19. Patched the cracked/pourus engine block leaking coolant on my 2001 Kia. still going after 3+ years.

20. XXL__

XXL__

Old post, I know... I'm using my imagination, and it seems like the JB would become part of the shrapnel. That must be strong stuff to hold up to detonation!

I've used JB for many of the hacky fixes already covered in this post. My most unusual use was to fillet the edges of some flames I cut out of 12ga steel and tacked welded to the bed floor of a pickup. I wasn't about to weld all 60' of edge down, so I tacked, then pookied, then bed linered.

Attached Files:

21. Put a rod through the block of an OT Rally Car. The hole was about the size of a tennis ball. We couldn't find another block (2.6 Mitsubishi when they were new) anywhere, so we cut a piece of 1/8" plate the approximate size of the hole and JB'd the poop out of it on both sides. Used that block for 5 more seasons of racing!

22. eddie1

eddie1

Another thread brought back from the dead.

23. chris101_ny

chris101_ny

On a long trip on my motorcycle, the gas tank started leaking like a siv. Had to Pretty much cover the bottom of the tank. That was 4 or 5 years ago and I still use the tank today.

24. 32fordroadster

32fordroadster
    from Wisconsin

Plugged a hole in the side of a 45 gal. diesel fuel tank on a dump truck, it has not leaked a drop in over 6 years.

25. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Back to super glue. You cant glue a kittens tail back on just so you know. But if you cover the end of whats left after you cut it off it will heal up nicely.

26. Not JB weld...but JB weld'ish. I hear alot of wonderful things from my good buddy about the new panel adhesives being used in body shops and even direct from manufacturers...GM for sure...not sure of any others.

He said that GM box sides are held on with this adhesive...and you can't get it apart!! Need to use heat (torch) to burn the stuff out to get the box apart.

I'm mighty curious about using it for precarious areas/super thin metal that doesn't weld very easily....no warpage and no way it's coming apart once it cures. Why wouldn't we use something like that?

27. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

Riding my Harley back in '89 and got a little close to the edge of the freshly paved road. Dropped off the edge into the gutter and brushed the curb. Ground a 2" long hole out of the primary cover. Patched it with JB Weld and never looked back. Just sold that bike back in June of '10 with the patch still in place. Put over 180,000 miles on it that way.

28. kngfisher

kngfisher
    from Virginia

Fixed a cracked engine block from a 72 beetle. The oil was leaking from a crack near the oil sending unit. Fix worked ok for over 5 years until the subframe cracked

29. Roadsire

Roadsire

I used it to repair a 100 year old wall mount toilet tank cant even tell it was repaired no leaks

30. George G

George G

On the farm a small utility tractor had a cam bearing seize which broke the camshaft. The bearing turned in the block and scored the block. They used JB weld to "glue in a new cam bearing, and it works 100% 2 years later