Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new project 1928 Ford with Flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Frenchy Dehoux, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Now that I have my 32 Hot Rod Lincoln V12 powered roadster done it is time to start on my next project. Hopefully this one will be done a bit sooner. I am planning for a Flathead V8 Mercury engine with 16 x 4 inch smooth wheels in front and rear. 32 Ford grill with a pair of Buick fin drums for the front. Possibly having a 1952 Mercury 3 speed transmission. Here are a few pictures of this project including the engine.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

What is that cowl from? Doesn't look like '28/'29 (or even '30/'31) Ford.

Malcolm

3. The guy I bought all of these pieces told me it was a 1928 / 1929 Murray body what year do you think it maybe. He cut the body in half to fit the Duval windshield.

Frenchy

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  4. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

It doesn't look anything like a '28 Ford cowl but it sure looks good with the Duvall windshield. What is that thing? Maybe it's a late model A commercial cowl that's been narrowed. Does it have provisions for hinges?

5. nice start. cowl is '28 Ford from a 4 door Murray built body

pic
    [​IMG]

6. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

murray body cowl !

7. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Interesting new project! I've never been a fan of those windshields, but I'm sure you'll make it look good.

8. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

I like the motor

9. Thank You for the clarification on this body.

Frenchy

10. That Duvall looks great on the Murray or Briggs cowl. Will this be a roadster pickup??

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  11. I see you have steped up from the vw days and now are with the big boys in the hot rod world. I have some front end parts if you need them like wishbones and axles and brakes if want to go the traditional route let me know.

12. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I like how the curve of the w/s matches the body line , very nice !

13. 38 Zephyr Thank You for your compliments this is why I want to leave it the way it is I like the lines from the windshield and the body.

Frenchy

14. Ron

Give me a call when you have a chance to talk about those parts. I am still building VW engines among other engines. (602) 7231047

Frenchy

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  15. Wow Frenchy...2 roadsters? thats cool! I would love to come over sometime and check out your progress.
    Brent

16. zephyrV12

zephyrV12
    BANNED
    from pomona ca

frenchy that looks good already

17. A few pictures of the 1952 Mercury transmission I found for the 53 Mercury Flathead. I also located a pair of Mercury Flathead with the Mercury logo on them. Also located a brand new Hurst shifter for this transmission.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

18. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

I have not decided if I will have a truck bed installed or not. I have looked at other projects here on the HAMB and see what options I have.

Thanks

Frenchy

19. You gonna run an FK-87 and a set of IDA's?

How ya doin' Frenchy

The VW Magazine Editor Formerly Known as Kaferdave, lol

20. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Hi Dave

I wish they made a manifolds for my flathead V8 and I would install 48 IDA'S.

Frenchy

21. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Here are a few pictures of my project worked on it this past weekend bought a plasma cutter a tig welder as well as tube bending machine.I made some progress I gave up trying to locate the rear portion of the cab but what I will be using is the inside of the front seat from a phaeton. Found a pair of rear doors that were damaged and cut them in half and made them fit to the rear panel right and left side. Next I will locate the floor pan for the body to weld on.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

22. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

man you work quick and do some nice fabrication , keep those photos coming

23. oj

oj

Reason you are having a time mating the seat back is that the back didn't go onto the end of those side panels. The seat back is inside of them and those panels are kinda like 'wings' that extend rearward to the rear doors. If you have an original seat back try it inside of them and see if that don't make more sense.

24. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Thanks for the advise we have cut the center of the body and narrowed it by 3 inches or so to make the Duval windshield fit the Briggs body to keep the body line at the top. If I cannot locate the rear panel I am planning to make a skeleton frame inside of the rear panel you are looking at to make it stronger.

Thanks
    Frenchy

25. Lookin good Frenchy!

26. Thanks I am happy the way it is turning out to look. After the body is all done the way I want it I will work on the chassis. Than the engine ,trans,rear end the easy stuff.

Frenchy

27. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

All I can say I am on a roll every night working on this project so far so good yesterday I went and bought the sub floor from a 1931 Roadster a friend had in his yard,took it home and did some measuring to make this sub floor fit the body. From the pictures you can see that I have to cut 6" in the center and 5" 1/2 or so from the side to make this fit nicely. Next I will make brackets to fit the side panels and rear panel as well.I also found a nice pair of front legs to lock in to the front cowl.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

28. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

This morning I decided to cut the bottom panel to the appropriate width and lenght needed for the body to sit in. Here are a few pictures so far this morning I will finish this panel and post pictures after all cuts have been made to give an idea how it will look.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

29. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

30. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Working on this project all weekend pie cutting the lower bottom panel to have it fit to the body. Next I will weld it all and place. Next I will place the body on it and see where I will have to make some adjustment. Here are a few pictures to show the progress.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Attached Files: