Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage houses, post a pic of yours.

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Roothawg, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Not my place, it belongs to "my brother once removed". This is a story that began about 20 years ago when he made his first attempt to purchase the house. 7 or 8 years ago, he was successful, and the fun began.

A historic home built in 1898. Some research uncovered a few photos from its beginnings, circa 1900-1910

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shortly after its purchase in a sad state of disrepair. At this point we dubbed it "Frankenstein's Mansion". It was a mess, and really quite frightening to view, inside and out. Some work has begun here, new roofing installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Extensive repairs and upgrades over the next few years. Structural, electrical, plumbing, some landscaping, and a full-on exterior refurbish returning the house to its original colors and scheme. By this time, our beloved family member earned himself the flattering title "Uncle Giggles". You have to be f'kn nuts, don't you?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, OK. Maybe he's not completely insane. The place is lookin' pretty good. But it still has a long way to go. 4000 sq ft of interior to renovate/repair/restore, and eventually recreate the carriage house that disapppeared many many years ago.

In the spring of 2010, Uncle Giggles was busy experimenting in the lab. That's when the ghost of Frankenstein showed up. For full theatrical effect, he came equipped with wind, rain, thunder and a well-placed thunderbolt.

[​IMG]

According to reliable sources, the local FD had no issue with pumping half the nearby lake dry. The fire damage was minimal, but the water damage was extensive. Since these photos were taken, the entire house has been gutted, top to bottom, wall to wall.

[​IMG]

That's a nice story, don't you think?

2. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh my god that house is beautiful. Made me feel sick with the fire pictures. Glad it isn't beyond saving.

3. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

4. Besty34

Besty34

Original parts of the house date from 1732
    Sorry can't seem to upload pics

5. Besty34

Besty34

Try again

Attached Files:

6. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

here's mine. approx. 1820, moved (in pieces) 45 miles to 53 acres, mostly woods.

Attached Files:

A Boner and 40two like this.
  7. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

Here's mine, a boxy thing from around 1930. Garage used to be in the basement until sometime in the '50s when the detached one was built.

Previous owners renovated much of the interior, sounds like it was a smoky mess of outdated ugliness before. Unfortunately they covered up the original floors with some mediocre hardwood downstairs and engineered wood up. Kitchen's nice though, plus the important stuff like wiring and plumbing's been updated. We're going to have the DS bathroom redone in a few years and I'll tackle the one upstairs after that.

Since this was taken we had the windows replaced, keeping the prairie 9-light on the top panes, the driveway's been repaved, and the soffit's been fixed up from 'coon damage.

Basement's a dungeon, perfect for working on the bicycles. I just wish the garage had room for one more car! It's definitely a cozy place though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Living in New England; it's not uncommong to walk into a house thats pre 1950 and its certainly not uncommong to walk into a house thats pre 1900's. We have a lot of historic homes here and buildings. a lot of the pre 1900's houses, especially the ones built in the 1700's have those hand-hewn exposed beams in the ceilings and walls. Its neat to stand there and look at the beams that someone once carved by hand. In a lot of these homes; the original wide plank floors are still there. The old colonial homes had a centerpeice to the house and that was the fireplace/chimney. All meals were cooked in the fireplace and they tend to be quite large in the kitchen. the house was built around the chimneys so that virtually all rooms had a fireplace to heat the rooms during the frigid winters. Sadly; a lot of the houses have fallen into disrepair and into the hands of people who just dont give a $%^(.

9. noxided

noxided

I post something thats not off topic, just a little flashy, and it gets removed.
    But here is something that has nothing to do with cars, and look how long its been on here. WTF!

I know there is no rhyme or reason why the admin. do this but come one! WWW wheels are the shit!

10. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Damn near everything I own is old, house was built in 1939, garage I built has more square feet than the house. Three Model As, a 60 T Bird, same wife for 41 years but I wouldn't have it any other way...

Attached Files:

Brand Apart likes this.
  11. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

my boyfriend lives in a nice old 1950's ranch house in the quiet side of town. Has a prett spacious 1 car garage with a breezeway big enough to park a car under and 2 big trees in the front yard, front porch, and a nice peice of land. It's probably got the biggest yard on the street. The bathroom is original with the seafoam green sink, toilet, and tub/shower and the wood floors are original. the kitchen is all original. very 1950's/early 60's. We're putting it up for sale because I'm a farmkid and want an old farmhouse and barn to keep myself sane. So if anyone is looking for a nice vintage ranchouse in N.E. CT give us a holler haha.

12. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

i think this is a great thread; OT or not. if you dont want to read it; dont click on it. there has been a lot of whiners here on the HAMB lately. cheer up and move along. sometimes owning hot rods becomes a "culture" thing. live the lifestyle

13. NORTH30FORD

NORTH30FORD

Here's mine... still renovating. Built around 1912 during the "building boom" here in Calgary.

Attached Files:

14. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Anybody want to play oldest in the U.S? Here's where I live circa 1740-60. I havent been able to nail down the year due to a glitch at the registry of deeds and I cant read olde english for beans!!:eek: My family has been here since 1957, longer than some of your houses have been built!!:D

[​IMG]

15. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Some kool places. Makes me feel like I need to get back to work on the shit mess I live in.

16. Zandoz

Zandoz

Here's our place, before the addition that took the back half of the driveway. We still own the place, but we just moved to the 2nd place.

Attached Files:

17. seriouslybaby

seriouslybaby
    from small town

This thread is AMAZING!

18. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Glad it came back up. Thank you

19. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

You forgot to mention that it's in the coolest neighborhood in town :cool:

20. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure my house is the ugliest one on this thread :D

40two likes this.
  21. whiskey bump

whiskey bump

We closed a few days before my birthday in November last year! Built in 1916, Obviously remodeled since.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1334868448.718610.jpg

22. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

This is my 1951 David E Bohannon built home. 4 bed rooms, 2 baths large back yard. My neighborhood was built completely for GI's coming home from WWII. They started building in 44. And ended in 58.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The garage.. 2 car.. (more like 1.5) or 8 smart cars lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A crappy layout i made using an app on my phone.. you get the idea though..

[​IMG]

There was an addition completed in the mid 60's. You can see it as all of the addition is where the silver flat roof is.. plus all the skylights were added then as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

San Lorenzo was mostly farmland, a significant center of production of fruit and flowers, from the mid-19th century to the mid-20th century.

In 1944, under contract to the U.S. Navy, David Bohannon's Greenwood Company began construction of San Lorenzo Village, a tract of two- and three-bedroom homes for workers in the East Bay's war industries. San Lorenzo Village was one of the nation's first planned communities, with parcels designated for schools, churches, parks, and several retail centers. Bohannon's pioneering pre-cutting techniques, referred to as the "California method," were used in later developments, such as the more famous Levittown, Pennsylvania. Home construction continued into the 1950s to accommodate the region's booming population.

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

23. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Anyone live in Levittown, Pennsylvania or know someone who does? I would love to see the similarity of design of the houses there compared to my neighborhoods design

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

24. Well I wasn't planning on posting our until it was done or we moved whichever comes first.

Built in 1901 or so the titleing company says.

Actually we bought this garage and the house came with it.

Attached Files:

25. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool P&B!!! I just realized I have never posted to this thread... Then I realized that I have never actually just taken a picture of my house by itself! Always behind what ever car I'm snapping. It was built in 1912 or so, and is in the heart of down town Phoenix under the smog-berry trees...

Attached Files:

A Boner and Kelly Burns like this.
  27. The old girl is showing her age aren't we all. :D

28. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I hear that! :screwy:

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

29. I'm still rebuilding mine and removing some "updates" done prior to my ownership. My house was built in 1921 and the garage in 1950. The garage is concrete block and is technically a 2.5 car garage but it was built to house the giant 50's beasts. My '52 Buick Roadmaster fit in there with a solid 10 feet to spare.

I purchased this house when I was 21 and focused on getting it liveable, the life happened and cars happened but I am back on track to put it back in its proper place.

30. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's mine and my Bel Air. The Bel Air is a 1960 model, the house is an 1893 model. It has been completely gone through- we resided it with James Hardy after this picture was taken a couple summers ago, and it is currently for sale. It is a beautiful house, but with my wife and I being empty-nesters it is just too much house and yard for the two of us to keep up on - that is if we want to have a life outside of taking care of our house...and we do.

Attached Files:

deathrowdave likes this.