Register now to get rid of these ads!

The chase! Or is looking for parts as much fun as actually using them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BamaMav, Feb 21, 2012.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

One of my favorite things is looking for parts. I enjoy the chase, when you get in your mind what you need or want for your build. I never put anything down on paper as a got to have, but stay flexible to different ideas on what might work. When I get my mind set, then I start looking. Some parts I find quickly, others take time.
    Another thing, I hate to buy new when used will do. I don't have a gold lined checkbook, so I have to watch my spending. I enjoy getting a deal on a lightly used part that looks and works as good as a new one.
    Finding stuff is as much fun as actually getting to use it!
    Anybody else enjoy the chase like I do?

2. 37_chevy

37_chevy
    from Nebraska

I was the "parts manager" among other things at our shop for 10 years. I enjoyed finding something that was hard to get. That was long before the internet too.

I enjoy the hunt as much as bagging the parts I need.

3. The chase does it for me to! Beating the bushes, internet, searching, trying to find just the right part, or figuring how to adapt something to the application needed. Your right about how sometimes it just falls in place. Last year I stumbled across a 31 roadster body & Model A frame on craigslist for $1800.00, pretty solid body. Went and took a look, thought well I'll pass as I had plenty on my plate with my current project. A week later got a call saying bring me $1500.00 and it's your. No brainer. Within the following two weeks I come across a 40 banjo, 39 toploader and a flathead. Funny how that works out sometimes.

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I HATE it, at time, but when the car is done, there's a certain "let-down".

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Love the chase, and also the surprise when I find something I wasn't even looking for! I try to buy as much used as possible and I can look at my project and tell you what and where I bought every used part. Can't remember where any of the new parts came from because they just weren't fun to buy.

6. love the hunt....and find.....and....yes I'm a horder....when it comes to junk yards....just love a good day at one..and why I have so much junk....

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The chase for the parts and cars has always been fun but the most fun is the daily driving of an old car.

8. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I enjoy the hunt.. but the chase is another story.. I've been chasing some rare speed equipment for years with no luck and now getting tired of looking...

9. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Ive always found that all you need to do is waive a big enough stack of $100's in the air and you can get anything you want as fast as you want. I dont have enough $100's so i dont have everything i want, but when i NEED something i resort to real money and it magicly appears. The HAMB and my local conections help too

10. grazy

grazy

I have meet some amazing people chasing old parts heard wonderful stories and made good friends along the way . Many times when down sizing guys love seeing the stuff they have kept for years going to the right person or project its not always about the money.Keep in touch if the project keeps moving they will remember buddies having things you need .Keep following leads you never know what else is sitting in a building or barn restorers remove flathead speed eqipment but oldtimers dont throw things away.Keep a look out for what your buddies need its always good to have things to trade its cheaper and always better than buying.

11. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I love the chase. Grew up near a speedway and detroit dragway. Lots of parts in my area. I hit this flea market by my house every weekend. Last summers finds:

Speed Gems SBC to 39 trans adapter, $30
    Sun tach, the one that looks like it needs a sender but doesnt, $5
    Rebuilt Y-Block generator, $10
    '50 Merc steering wheel and column, $3
    Lots of Stewart Warner gauges

And lots more stuff, its all part of the fun for me.

12. F6 - so ya mean they flew off cars at the speedway and landed in your yard? lol Yeah I gotta say with 4 or so ongoing projects and 2 yards right by the house that have tons of goodies "stashed" going on a junkyard crawl is high on my fun list :D

13. mow too much

mow too much

I love the hunt but the find is getting tougher and like Grazy said I have made new friends and have heard some neat stories, about 15 years ago when I built my 29 hi-boy I bought a Hallibrand V-8 quick change at the old Pâté swap meet from a guy that had it stored in his dads barn since the early 60's, he and two of his friends had plans to build a dirt track car but they all were drafted and those plans changed.

14. R1FIGHTER

R1FIGHTER

I've always been a hunter. Wether it is for car parts, bikes, music or women I've always been looking for my next find. I'm sure someone with strong psycology background coud chime in here and blow or minds.

15. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I sell early v-8 mecanical stuff for a living, I will useally buy some ones back yard or building full of stuff, ya know you buy the good with the bad, I' love sorting through the stuff when I get it home, I love the hard to find trinkets like the brass fittings for brake llines, the hard ware for backing plates, the little stuff you need to put a car together, I useally don't sell that stuff and I save it for my friends so they can build their cars, I call them " the golden nuggets ".

16. Gasr57

Gasr57
    from Ohio

Yep, When I on the hunt I'm like a crack addict looking for a fix. It drives my wife crazy. She is always telling me "You like looking for parts more than using them." I wouldn't go that far but it's right up there.

17. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

foreplay! ooppss wrong board----i think???:D
    love the chase,once you get it-then ya gotta hunt for something else.

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You know, my wife has told me about the same thing!

19. fleetside66

fleetside66

I was going to say the same thing in the exact same words. Since I'm a little too far gone to do another build, I've taken to replacing parts on my finished car with more interesting ones. Right now I'm replacing my generic gauges with old S/W wings gauges. Sigh.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Its the find that I really like. I dont generally chase stuff that much, I have a mental list of exactly what I need for a project, and I try to buy it as it comes up. Sometimes something on my list comes up, and I A)dont have the money at hand because I have just bought something else on the list, or B) its far away, big and heavy, and shipping isnt viable. That happens on the HAMB alot, I'll see something like a rearend housing I need, but its in Arkansas or something.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have figured out how to avoid that. Start another project before you have finished the last one. Sorta like avoiding a hangover by having another drink...

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the hunt for parts is more fun when you are reselling them for big bucks on ebay thereby raising the prices for everybody.... well, everybody except the guys who get out of bed early enough to be at the swap before the sellers..

23. Zandoz

Zandoz

Because of my health and living situation, the hunt is all I have. I find a car that I'd love to have, then I start planning the project in my head, and tracking down the parts to accomplish it. Right now, I have 3 completely different projects going on in my mind's garage.