Register now to get rid of these ads!

1961 Catalina "Super Safari" build for real towing and daily useage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Jan 1, 2012.

1. On the lh threads, full size Pontiacs, Olds and possibly Buicks, used LH threads through 1964 model year. the 61-3 Tempests also did this too.

2. so ugly yet so cool!

3. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

4. Sauli

Sauli

Wow!!!That is some serious Pontiac enthusiasm right there!!! Beautiful cars, and the ´62 Catalina Safari sounds like a particularly special find, a "dead ringer" to Your parents´ old car, right down to the color. What are the odds for something like that to happen, anyway?
    I never knew about these cars having the left-hand threads on the wheel studs before. Learn something new every day, I guess. Thanks for the most awesome posting.

5. Zerk

Zerk

Enjoying the updates! Curious about all the mods to frame, suspension and brakes. Any and all pics of the "rolling build" would be welcome.

It's a real pleasure to see what one man with will and enthusiasm can accomplish. Best of luck with your plans.

6. ls7gto

ls7gto

I love this thread !!!!! Here is my Canadian 61 Parisienne Safari Wagon, in the correct dawn fire mist. [​IMG]

Can I PM you about some parts?
    Doug

7. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

What are the advantages/or desires of a wagon over a truck?

OK, so you can sleep in the back if you have to, but then again you could get a suburban to do that. Or you could just get a topper for the bed---instant hotel.

Better mpg possibly?

8. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool factor. Wagons are way more cool.

9. [​IMG]

Well, for me being a Pontiac man, Pontiac did not build trucks. There are a few exceptions, they did build them in the 20s and from '55-'59 GMCs with V8s came with Pontiac engines.
    A wagon was built to hold 6-9 people in relative comfort. Trucks rid harder, do not handle as good, etc, etc. Of course, things can be modified.

10. [​IMG]

thanks for the nice words, pics and more info is coming..

11. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

I love that you use it to tow/push the TF car. Just like how it should be done.

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

Very nice car! I have always wanted to make a 2 door sedan delivery from a 61-62 Poncho wagon...use a h/t windshield for a slight chop ....not that I would cut one up that was this nice!

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Can fit ALOT more friends in it to go for a ride.:cool:

You need to bring that to the Jalopy Showdown in May.

14. ls7gto

ls7gto

Denise, (HRLC), Its been a long time since I seen or talked to you! Hope all is going good! The wagon is a replacement for the totaled 56 olds.
    Doug ( good guys Rep.)

Sorry , End of Hi-jack!

15. [​IMG]

Some pics of the posi going into the '62. With a drop style rear, you leave the housing in the car, get it in the air, pull the tires and drums. Then 4 bolts per side to slide out the axles.

[​IMG]

Once that far, pull the back end of the driveshaft and the nuts that hold the 3rd member to the housing. The ratio is staying the same, 2.69 which may sound lazy to chev and ford guys but, these trans have a 3-1 low gear so, it works out quite well and this gear makes hiway cruising nicer and trips to the pump , a little further apart :).

[​IMG]

These rears are very strong with a ring gear dia either 9 1/4 or 9.3".

Brad at Fabcraft in Texas has all the info and parts you may need for one of these '57-'64 rears. www.fabcraftmetalworks.com

Olds is the same center too.

16. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

What about something like this to fit your needs? This is from the coe thread. I am just kidding the safari is awesome i love the wagons myself.

Attached Files:

17. What an animal huh?! Everything has its place.

18. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

I'm not seeing any of your pictures. :(

19. Not sure what the issue is but, they are there. Does everyone else see them??

20. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I can't see pics at work(not that i would be looking) but i can see them at home.

21. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yup!

22. This thread has been dormant for a few months. It was my busy season with 3 events I run in late March. Now, can get back to projects. i have been collecting engine parts and getting machine work done. Yesterday, picked up the 455 block for this car. This block was used in one of my GTOs from 1998-2009 and was +.030". With some taper after the 181,000 I put on it in that time, I opted for a fresh bore out to +.060".
    Still deciding on which heads to use. Looking into some with small valves to go along with the small cam I will be using in my quest to get decent mileage and still be torquey and able to pull loads.
    More coming..