Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Cam Should I Run?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indestructableforce, Feb 21, 2012.

1. I'm goin to buy a small journal 327 off a guy this weekend. I was just wondering what cam I should run there's thousands of opinions and threads on this already but I want opinions for my specific setup.

I plan on honing or boring it, putting some forged rods, hyperteutectic pistons (flat tops), forged rods, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock Thunder AVS 650cfm manual choke carb, 2.5-inch ram horns, camel humps, aluminum short water pump, 60k volt coil, stock points distributor, roller tip rockers, and chromoly pushrods. I wanna turn around 6500 rpm, have a decent low end, either run a 2500- rpm stall or a 4-speed.

Some of the cams I had in mind were the L-46, L-79, and the 300 horse. I want pep but a hydraulic flat tappet cam.

BTW, I wanna run a nostalgic cam like what'd been available back in the day.

2. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

The cams you have in mind are a bit on the mild side, Sounds like your a newb to this I know its a 327 just use a 1970 Hyd version of a LT-1 cam you didnt say what CC head you wanted but with any traditional SBC that cam profie is a good safe choice. Good luck with your project!

3. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

The 350 HP 350 chevy cam is real good in a 327 69/70 vintage.

4. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

For decent low end, this is one of the few times in life that smaller is better. You wont spend much time above 5000 rpm. Whats the car weigh?

5. cooger

cooger

I fully agree with the above, having had a couple of motors with it.
    Far as I know, Crane cams still has the original grind available.
    Super sound.
    cooger

6. Thanks. Pretty sure most camel humps are about 62 or 64cc, right? With that and flat tops it should have about 10:1? I don't wanna go much higher tho, maybe 10.5:1. People have told me if I am to run a lower than original compression it won't sound as good. I know power will be weaker.

7. cooger

cooger

Oops! correction: I thought it was the 350hp 327 cam, not the 350c.i. cam.
    cooger

8. What about the 350hp L46 350 cam? Stock compression was 10.5:1. It appears to be a little different than the L79, not being as "needy".

9. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

I have built several 327 engines and will tell you I made a mistake by using a old 350 hp grind in one of them, You will make more horespower and more torque with a modern cam like a Comp cam XE268

10. Well, my thing about a low end is I had a 307 with a full race cam in it and it was in a truck with 3.08s. Talk about driving like shit but stupid fun. Not sure what it'll go in but itll probably be under 3200. I want it to have the mean sound of a big cam but be driveable (not idle at 1200 like that 307 did) and have the ability to hit 6500 rpm if necessary. ;)

11. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Pick up the phone and call your friendly cam grinder and allow him to recommend the proper cam grind based on your vehicle, the use that you will put it to and the stats on engine components. There is no right cam for all circumstances. The proper cam brings everything together. Most modified engines are over cammed and over carbed. Bigger is not always better as you have already found out with your 307. Good luck