Register now to get rid of these ads!

59 Corvette Resurrection after 43 yr break

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by masters9661, Feb 21, 2012.

1. masters9661

masters9661

This 59 Corvette belongs to a friend of mine. He purchased it in 1967 on an Air Force base in Texas. He brought it home to Iowa in 1968 and blew the engine drag racing it. In the late 70's it was torn down for restoration but did not get beyond that point. It had been setting in a building ever since. After attending the HAMBDRAGS in 2011 he became motivated to get it back out. Last fall we pulled it out of the building and are currently working toward giving it a face lift and hope to have it at the HAMBDRAGS in 2012. Will keep ya posted.

Attached Files:

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh how I love Corvettes.... Excited to see this one be brought back. Full Restoration or loose?

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Amazing how some of these cars get put away and forgotten for years and years. Nice to see this one will get another shot at the drags. Looking forward to the (re)build thread. :D

Don

4. Hellfish

Hellfish

It will be great to see that back on the road & track again!

Hopefully you can bring it to the Heads Up and Meltdown Drags, too. They're only 6 and 5 hours away, respectively! :)

5. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Hell yeah, more details please...

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Looks nice with the Cragars. Would look even nicer with a set of chrome stacks popping out of the hood.

7. He no doubt knows this but if not tell him to be carefull and not sand though the Gel Coat or he will never get paint on it.

I am very fond of quad headlight vettes myself. Or as my friend james says, "Oh how I love Corvettes...."

8. Papa Tom

Papa Tom

i have a 40 over 327 roller motor super t10 tunnel ram single 4 with a new 750 holly tell bill to call or pm papa tom

9. masters9661

masters9661

Hey Tommy!
    I will tell him for sure. Do you know if a turbo 400 will fit his car?

10. haychrishay

haychrishay

That's cool ! and keep pictures coming on the build.

11. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad this will be raced, so many of them have become trailer queens for shows. As mentioned earlier, I'd love to see stacks, maybe even calliope stacks...

12. Muttley

Muttley

Show him this picture for inspiration. ;) :D

[​IMG]

13. jimdillon

jimdillon

Good to hear it will be drag raced as well. Way too many of these cars have been taken back from a drag racing background to stock.

Just so you know a turbo 400 will fit but they are a bit fat in the tunnel area and may have to relieve some of the glass for a shifter depending on which one you run. Have to fab your own mount. The turbo 400 is a bit stronger in my opinion if you are going to put your foot in it.

A neighbor ran a turbo 400 in his 62 back in 1969 and I am putting a turbo 400 in a 62 as well. A turbo 350 will fit with a stock driveshaft but with a turbo 400 you have to make a new driveshaft which is a wise thing to do anyways as that can be a weak spot. There are a number of places that can build you a driveshaft. DTS is a local shop that builds them but I am sure you can find a reputable shop in your neck of the woods.

Keep us posted with pics of the build-sounds good

14. Papa Tom

Papa Tom

the 400 will go but not as easily as the 350 or glide because of limited space. Tell Bill if hes's interested in the 327 with or without the transmission or tunnel ram (any way he wants it). All new -- never been fired. Has new Hurst shifter on trans. also that came from a '61 corvette.

15. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Turbo 350 goes right in with a new mount. Short tailshaft 400 should fit, but might need to massage the tranny tunnel.

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm a long time fan of the T-400 as I knew the engineers that designed it but in this case I say FTT400. Any proper Vette from this era HAS to have a 4/5 speed. Case closed!!:D

Frank

17. 4tford

4tford

Here is my buddies 59 350hp w 4spd sitting next to my 40

Attached Files:

18. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

this pic was sent to me from my dad's uncle (1970?)
    on the back it says"E/G class won 1970 gas nationals over 32 other entry's"
    this was the first version they raced,the second version was more yellow with a red top (like a banana split with a cherry on top)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  19. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Meltdown Drags.....Meltdown Drags.....Hunnert Car Heads Up.....Hunnert Car Heads up........

20. stored in an out building? 427 big block would be a good one for the drags!

21. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Sounds like a great plan you have after the car has had a 40 year nap. Keep us posted, love those old Vettes as well.

Good luck.

22. Way cool, is he keeping the red with black coves?

23. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Love them solid axles !!!! I'm partial to 56/57 single headlight cars but love em' all.
    Good Luck with the re-build.

24. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

any updates? lets see that vette

25. masters9661

masters9661

It is going to get paint. I don't think he has fully decided on an exact color scheme. Getting about ready for primer now so he still has a little more time to sit on the fence. Will post some updated photos in the next couple of weeks

26. Philroy

Philroy

Come on dad, get these nice folks some pictures.

27. masters9661

masters9661

Just to give a progress report on the vette. It was soda blasted and the body work is in full swing now. Mechanicaly 95% of the way there. Now we just have to get the bodywork finished up (hopefully within the next week) assemble and shake it down. Then she will be ready for the 2012 HAMBDRAGS!! It sure feels good to be coming down the home stretch. ;)

Thanks for all of the interest and words of encouragement. Hope to see you there.

Attached Files:

28. Gold! Gold! Paint it Gold!!!! A nice era correct shade.

29. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

I hate myself for loving vintage Corvettes. I will NEVER be able to own one, but the flame is growing brighter.