Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. aceace14

aceace14
    from Indiana

I wonder if the wanna-be SuperBee in the background middle picture is for sale?

2. Circletrack 40

Circletrack 40

RE--Post #'s 17675 & 17687-- Photo of the Wagner cars-- 62 & 63-- Other than the drivers ( Jerry & Scratch ) Can someone identify the others in the photo? Could one of them be Bill McDonald, if so is he still around?
    Dave Weir.

3. jimg12

jimg12

Mario Fan,
    I was at Berlin driving for Mr. Hartley. I blew an rngine and Mario won. It was a paved trackand somebody was oiling it down bad and was very slick. Mario was sideways more than he was straight, but was standing on the gas. Mike McGreevey started out the year in the Caves car, it was a short car and did not handle real well but had plenty of power. I started on the pole at Louisville in June with Mike outsideand he beat to the first turn. I broke again and think Mike won the race in the Caves car.
    Jim Graybeal

4. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Jim, Excellent tid-bits and trivia of great midget racing history of a great era. I hope you keep it up. 'Checking the record book, in that photo of Andretti at Allentown on 08/06/66, Don Meacham won the race that day in Myron's other car. Meacham had a great year in 1966. And that race in June at Louisville, that you started on the pole, Sonny Ates won the race that day in Lloyd Rahn's car.

'Maybe next time 'flubyu' talks to Mike on the phone, he can ask him why he quit the Caves car to go drive the Kincaid Barber Shop car??? Because Myron Caves was one of the most cordial and nicest guys you'd ever meet.

Recently, over on a site that discusses Australian midget racing history, a woman chimed in on a bunch of pics of Tattersall, Meacham and the guys racing down under and said: 'That's my Dad!' It was Don Meacham's daughter. Don was down there in the last couple of years for some kind of reunion.

5. jimg12

jimg12

LittleFauss,
    I did not think the picture taken 08/06/66 was the same car I saw at Louisville. My second ride in a full midget was in Curley Rahn's OLD KK at the Hut 100 in 65, started 15th [AJ was 17th], he won and I blew up. Curley's car that Sonny drove was a new car in 66 [Johnny Pawl car I think]. Sonny and I lived about 30 miles apart so we traveled together a lot in 65 [when I was looking for a ride, with his help] and 66 when Idrove for Mr. Hartley.
    Jim

6. racer5c

racer5c

22nd Annual Rich Vogler Memorial Scholarship Daytona 500 Party
    Public Event · By Eleanor P. Vogler.

.Sunday, February 26, 2012.10:00am until 6:00pm.. 1 block north of Rockville Rd just west of Lynhurst Dr. Doors open at 10 AM, meal at 12:00, race starts at 1:00 Catered by Pit Stop Barbeque Dontations $20/adult $10 ages 6 - 16, under 6 free Cash bar. Come join the fun and watch the race live on big screen tv, live and silent auctions, race pool, tv raffle

7. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

8. Frye jr

Frye jr

My dad Danny Sr drove that car at Granit City USAC show in Sept of 66. Dad was 6ft 1 and he said his knees were under his chin. He said it was a really neet car. and really handled. I think they broke something thtat night . That was a long time ago. He couldn't think about getting into a car today with the seats and motors set back.

9. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Yes, that is the foot box, your toes go past the engine.

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx! I was guessing that, just needed some confirmation. Gary

11. Flubyu

Flubyu

Will do Little Fauss been a month or so anyhow since I talked with Mike he said he had a spot of possable cancer he was dealing with but as always remained very upbeat by saying he is staying ahead of it as always.

12. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Just he4ard about the help Josh Shaw has done for the racer who lost his home to fire. It dont surprise me to hear that Josh was ready to help!!!
    Josh Shaw is, inj my opinion, one of the best people i have ever heard of in this world, now or ever!!!

13. jimg12

jimg12

Spike I will go along with that about Josh Shaw and his Dad.
    JimGraybeal

14. Ebert

Ebert

Got my vote, too! GREAT people and super talented, too!
    E

15. baldtireman

baldtireman

And I thought that was where he put the "flight recorder"! LOL:D

16. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I was glad to help, but my T-Shirt Business partner Matt Schlensker at www.goodsleeveaa.com did MOST the work. He rallied everyone together to donate. I put together a big batch of clothes for the dad, and then raided my nephews (age 9 and 2) collection of left overs and race shirts and sent them along. Matt, then got around 30 (thirty!) atrist and Hot rod builders to donate items for auction. The proceeds are going to the family. I'll get matt to post a link on here if you'd like to help out. They are a Die Hard Dirt racing family with young children and LOST everything.

Here's a picture of Matt (he's so pretty ;)) fuelling up the #44 Sprinter he Crews on.

He's a great guy, and deserves the credit.

J Shaw

Attached Files:

• matt.jpg
      matt.jpg
      File size:
      65.2 KB
      Views:
  17. mud goodsleeve

mud goodsleeve
    from cincinnati

heres the info as I recieved it via Brownstown speedway:
    ATTEN fellow racers an fans. A fellow racer an his family need our help. Tony Arthur jr an his Family's house burnt to the ground while they were out of town an lost everything. They could use clothing an shoes. Below is a list of sizes for... eveyone. If you have anything you can spare it would be greatly appreciated an you can leave me an inbox on this FB site with your name an what you have an we can go from there. Thank You

Tony Nunn

Coxton Road Fire leaves 6 Homeless

Tony Lee is the head of the household and is in need of sweatshirts and jeans. He wears size 32/32 in pants and large in shirts. He is a racing fan by far and appreciates any help that you are will to give him. Thank you.

Crystal wears size 11 pants and an extra large shirt. She enjoys anything do to with the Twilight Saga and loves to read. size 8 in shoes

Holley is 9 years old and enjoys anything girly. She is a big fan of Victorious. She wears size 9 in pants, 7/8 in shirts, and 3 1/2 to 4 in shoes.

Caleb is 11 years of age and wears size 12 in pants, medium in kids clothing for shirts, and 4 1/2 to 5 in shoes. He enjoys any sports and loves to be outside.

Christopher is 13 years of age and wears 16 husky in pants, large shirts, and size 11 in shoes. He enjoys racing, and remote control cars.

AJ is thirteen years of age and wears size 16 pants, large shirts. and size 10 1/2 to 11 shoes. He is a huge NASCAR fan and enjoys playing with handheld gamesSee More

Tony Arthur
    Hammersly lane, Williams IN. 47470

Hearing this I decided it was time for me to get to work to help out this fellow dirt tracker. On and off the track the dirt in out blood makes us one big family so I am doing everything I can to try and help get this family back on their feet.

The clothing drive was awesome, we have recieved a ton of clothing and I know this is helping them out a bunch. But clothing is just the start. They are going to have to completely rebuild their lives from scratch.

Luckily I have met a ton of good people over the years and made a few calls. Asking fellow racers, tracks, artists, Hot rod builders, pin-ups, and really anyone I could think of to donate art, shirts, parts, helmets, panels, anything that will help raise a few bucks. The response has been awesome! So far over 30 people have donated items for the auction. heres a list of a few: Top Fueler-JR Todd, Ashley Webb and Webb automotive art, Max Grundy, Ed Tillrock, Justified Defiance, Joshua Shaw, Thomas T-mez, Landon Simon, Robert Ballou, Jackslash.com, Jason Soudrette, Chad Boespflug, Thom-e Knocker and Godspeed, Lawrenceburg Speedway, Jerry Porkchop Walker and Sinister Hot Rods, Donny Conrad, Mr. Oz, Joey Taz Henchen, Kyle Cruea, Tyler Hilton, Kyle Cummins, Cody Hewitt, Julia Inked, Chris Naber, Taylor Brynne, April May Photography, Cherry Martini, Aly Hellcat, Chase Stockon, Dallas Hewitt As soon items start coming in and I get back from Autorama in Detroit I am going to start auctioning off everything on Indiana Open Wheel the HAMB and ebay.

I will deff post a link on here to the auction as soon as It goes up.

on top of this If anyone wants to give a few bucks you can thru paypal to: [email protected]

also if you want to get a shirt for your cash all the money from the purchase of a throwback Goodsleeve Sprinter T will go directly to the family. here is a link to the store- http://www.goodsleeveaa.com/product/goodsleeve-sprinter-t

We are still taking race and automotive related items for the auction.

-Goodsleeve A/A
    Matthew Schlensker
    4909 Relleum Ave.
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    513-293-8329
    [email protected]

18. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

This is the response from a connected person.

Bill McDonald in the red shirt, Ray Claybunder( not sure of spelling) in checkered shirt, Les Johnson in the STP shirt, don’t know the other person.

Duane Nelson

Bill McDonald passed some years ago.

19. easter

easter

Thanks Dryer - that was for Dave Weir.

20. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Absolutely, yes. As my old dragstrip announcer at IRP would say, "Josh is good people!"

21. mud goodsleeve

mud goodsleeve
    from cincinnati

Heres a couple pics I found of my lil one from last season at KC raceway. D. Frye racer and promoter of the BOSS (Buckeye Outlaw Sprint Series) had this barn find down in the pits. Rumor is it will be up and running to make a few laps at shows in the future.

Attached Files:

22. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Very cool, just placed my order!

23. mud goodsleeve

mud goodsleeve
    from cincinnati

rrbrucea- thank you, Ill have it packed up and out to you in the am.

24. mud goodsleeve

mud goodsleeve
    from cincinnati

shawtime- "fuelling up the #44 Sprinter he Crews on."

*crews on, cries over, gets divorced cause of, flattens wallet for, sweats on, and I wouldnt have it any other way

25. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

You're welcome! Always glad to help a racer out... I'm a transplant from Iowa and used to hang out at Knoxville on Saturday nights, even back before they started running wings.

Only car I've ever had the good fortune to crew on was an ARDC midget--they were from Pennsylvania and running a non-wing show down here in NC. That was a heck of memorable a night, our guy got tangled up in a wreck during his heat and we THRASHED to get him back together for the feature. He started at the back and came in second. And if he had another lap or two he would have won the damn thing. Man, I'd love to re-live that night!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  26. Pullmyfinger

Pullmyfinger
    from California

Thanks for the info! Originally I planned on keeping these helmets but something came up and unfortunately I am going to have to sell them. I will be posting them on Ebay under the seller name Letshavefuntoday if anyone is interested. Thanks in advance! Bill

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

True on all above..

My Ex fiance: "Do we HAVE to go to a sprint car race EVERY WEEKEND?"
    My answer: "WE don't.. but I'm gonna"

Happens to the best of us. See you at your house in Two days and be DETROIT bound.

28. RicSchwarm

RicSchwarm

Great looking t-shirt for a great cause. got mine ordered today.

29. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Just ordered mine,To help the cause..........Rich

30. easter

easter