Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cheapest way to keep a bare metal car outdoors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thechondro, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Tarps made it worse. Rain crept under and rusted roof. Pop up garages? One of those bubble things? What do u use?

2. firingorder1

firingorder1

My Fairlane has a coat of paint on it. Works perfect for keeping rust away..

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Don't know what you would use. Seems like a good coat of wax or oiling it would keep the rust at bay.

3. Ospho is working on some of my stuff.

4. josh highley

josh highley

5. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Dont....unless you live in the driest desert around......Humidity is going to get at it ...Where is Silverlake?

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

For the money you will spend on high dollar protectants spray on a coat of epoxy primer.
    ouitside rust is hard to prevent unless you have the area heated.

7. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

8. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Is this serious? Paint the darn thing, even if it's temporary.:rolleyes:

9. Will epoxy be enough? Silver lake is in Los Angeles.

10. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

This hood has been sitting in a garage for a year.. Just a little rust.....epoxy would be your best bet.....

Attached Files:

11. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

epoxy, but still try and keep it dry, dont let the rain get to it..

12. atomickustom

atomickustom

1. epoxy primer/sealer
    2. a roof (a car port? ANYTHING to keep off the sun)

13. wsdad

wsdad

I made a removable tarp "tent" over my leaky camper roof using PVC pipe. Now it looks like a covered wagon. A side benefit is that the tarp seems to be lasting longer.

Did the same thing with some pallets on my bare metal model T frame. The pallets hold the traps off the car. You can pick up pallets for free on Craig's list or at many hospitals. The sharp corners tore the tarps in the wind, though. I may tie some rags around the corners of the pallets when I replace the tarp.

Good luck.

14. Willy301

Willy301

Make a tent over it to keep the tarp from touching it. Tarps don't keep moisture out for long though, so a good coat of epoxy primer and the suspended tarp are your best idea.

15. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

I have been using WD-40 to keep the rust at bay on the parts of my truck that are stripped to bare metal, no rust yet. No idea how hard it will be to remove when it comes time to paint. I would find some sort of shelter or carport to keep it under so as to not trap the moisture.

16. joel torres

joel torres

17. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

WD-40 soaks into the metal. My neighbor used ATF when his car was in bare metal. He drove the car on a shake-down cruise to Arizona from So Cal to make sure everything was fine, before it was painted.

18. Gibbs protectant is made for this.

19. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

I stand corrected, thanks :) guess I'll have to figure out how to remove it.

20. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

picklex works very well, but cheaper to spray on a dtm/primer/sealer, or even a cheap single stage..

21. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

22. atomickustom

atomickustom

Holy cow, THANK YOU! I had no idea that stuff would peel off like that when you're ready. I don't even know if I'll ever use it but just knowing that feels like valuable information.

23. jazz1

jazz1

If you don't plan on ever painting it I would try Gibbs or heck just rub it down with linseed oil..But if you plan on painting some day any of those products could haunt the crap out of you come time to paint..I had to put this bare metal project outdoors for while so I wrapped it up in a coat of epoxy,,,about $7.00 worth of product..I have seen some bare metal rods at car shows shot with coat of clear however I don't know how long that will adhere to metal.

[​IMG]