Register now to get rid of these ads!

Severe Bondo Abuse

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Here's the upper trim attached
    That black stuff is a rubber strip which pads the glass from the channel, a gasket couldn't be used, the gaps will be filled with a rubber strip and urethane, it will be water tight.

[​IMG]

2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Here's the rubber I'm using. That's masking tape on the stainless bottom trim, it's welded to a fabricated filler piece which will be painted body color.
    [​IMG]

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Here's the filler piece, it has a drain hole in it which will have a rubber hose directing water out of the body.
    [​IMG]
    The bed trim will cover the ugliness.
    [​IMG]

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

[​IMG]
    All the trim fits again very well.

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

[​IMG]
    The bottom of the trim does go flush

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

A view from the inside and you can see how much the roof is chopped.
    [​IMG]

7. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I have to make a parcel shelf from scratch, I don't know what I wanna do, maybe tuck and rolled, maybe a squiggle formica pattern with diner table banding, I dunno.. This was a hell of a lot of work.

8. A helluva lotta work, for a helluva cool truckster. Great update!

9. The trim looks nice, I hope mine goes back together as well as that.

Where did you get the new clips and the rubber for under the trim on the back window..
    I took mine out this weekend and most of the clips are junk.
    I also had the felt/rubber piece under the roof trim, not sure why.

Did you consider a hole directly into the bed to drain, instead of a tube through the quarter panel, I am looking at that on mine because the drain tubes are stupid.

On the package tray, I'm going to Louver a panel for mine. I did this on my Stude and it looked good. Food for thought.

10. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Will it's a straight shot down to the rockers, there are slits cut into the rockers to drain water out from the factory, the replacements don't but I can cut them in, there will just be a small half inch hole the hose will come out of.
    I got the clips on ebay, they're the same as for Impalas, the rubber I got from a place called Skycraft in Orlando, it's just a generic molding that's the right width, I couldn't use the factory gasket.
    There shouldn't be anything under the trim on your Elky, someone musta put it there.
    I'm not gonna put the cab roof molding on until I'm done painting the roof, it still needs a few more coats of clear.

11. The clips along the bottom (only) were the shorter ones for a 55 6 7 back window clips. That's how it ended up working for mine. Otherwise the moldings weren't pulled in towards the rubber, close enough. The sides and top were the 59 clips I had. That make sense? Prolly not

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  12. b-mauger

b-mauger

should of left those rockers alone they were filled just right to last a long time!!!!!!

13. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Im glad to see your making great progress nads keep up the great work .

14. Workdragon

Workdragon

Just started on my ford F1 pickup and discovered that the entire truck was covered for some reason with a half of inch to a full inch of bondo on every single body panel on the truck. So far, I have 8 hours stripping, removing bondo and removing rust on just the cab and my garage looks like it snowed in there. Why would anyone do such a thing?

-WD

15. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

There are people that believe you have to cover a vehicle with a skim coat no matter what... I don't get it, and I really can't fathom why people do it in places that get cold like where I live, the filler expands and contracts so much it will cleave right off of the body.

16. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

I love chicken wire and bondo! hahahahahaha!

17. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

The idea is perpetuated by the shows on TV like Boyd Coddington's guys on American Hot Rod. They'd slather a couple of gallons of filler on every car and he had people with more money than brains lining up to over pay for their butchered cars.

18. Overhaulin' show doesn't help out, either! They just love trowelin' that shit on

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I laid down my Dyna Glide, bruised ribs, busted leg, then I went on a cruise, a rock n roll cruise at that, got a really bad chest cold and have made no progress. It hurts to cough.
    I'll report back when I'm feeling a bit better.

20. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really busted your leg? Hows the Dyna?

jaldi theek ho jaen

21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Go Nads!! Wait that didn't sound right. Hope your feeling better man. Lippy

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude, don't make it weird.:eek:

23. Heh, I found a YIELD sign under the the rear carpet of a 65 Dart.

24. perkshotrods

perkshotrods

I just read the entire thread and I cant wait to see the rest of the story. Nice work...Subscribed

Don't post much, but read a lot...

25. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Somebody did that to the rockers in my 66 Coronet before I got hold of it. I dunno what they were thinking... :confused: Maybe so it would float better during water crossings? :D

26. Bondo fixes everything.

27. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

My mum bought a brand new 74 Chev 3/4 ton and it started to crack in the first year, turns out the drivers rear fender was full of bondo... from new... figure that one out.

28. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I'm fine, the leg was rashed and has still got a nasty bump, it's on the shin, the same one I dropped a 5 gallon bucket of roofing tar on in November. The bike only suffered a bent turn signal. I'll be OK by next week.
    Me bohat gadha hoon!

29. Hey Mr. Nads! Here's the pics you asked for. I made two of what you see here. One for the front, one for the back. You can see where I welded in a strip to make up the space on the raised portion of the bumper support. Now I need make a trip to the hardware sto'! Get me some grade 8 bolts and that.

[​IMG]

Once it's painted you'll never ever notice it!

[​IMG]

30. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Thank you so much. I'm doing my valances now, boy are they straight, I found some good sets, I'll have painted soon.