Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why do people put a ball bearing under a stud??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31' A Bone, Feb 19, 2012.

1. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Big truck wheel (dayton) stud installing tools have a ball bearing in the bottom of the threaded hole. You screw the stud into the tool up to the ball bearing and use a impact wrench to install the stud into the hub. When you back out the tool the stud breaks free from the tool easy and doesnt back out of the hub. The ball bearing keeps the stud from locking into the tool... works slick.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I just checked, there is no ball bearing under me ;) :D

Just kidding, but the explanation on not messing up the threads by bottoming out the stud makes the most sense to me.

4. Motor_Psycho

Motor_Psycho

Nothing wrong with the practise of doing this to be honest. Recommended to do it on our dragster engine, by the manufacturer! And Rodeck/Alan Johnson Performance Engineering know what they're on about.

5. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I think another thing you guys seem to forget... is that is bottoming a stud wether a main or head stud in an aluminum block with a bullet or ball end machined on it, or in this case quickchange cover stud which is nothing more than a long set screw stopped against a ball bearing.....allows the stud to be snugged up an still remain square to the flange .....remember you have 6-8 studs(depending on rear brand)to slide the cover over
    If you just crank them in they will be "bent" all over the place
    ...then you can drive the cover on an off with a hammer if you desire

Leave them loose and you can fish them out of the scalding gear change pan
    Remember "Quickchange"...They where designed to change gears in mins....not after coffee on a sunday

This horse dead yet?

Tony

6. I had a ball bearing mouse trap once. But the dogs got him.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup. Got it. Dont want to take the time to do it right and bottom tap the hole? Drop a ball bearing in. Sometimes (well, most of the time actually) I'm glad I'm behind the times...:rolleyes:

8. 1Bad67

1Bad67

Just cause you don't understand doesn't mean it ain't right. But obviously no amount of splainin will educate everyone.

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, honestly, at first, I didnt understand it all, and I have been installing head and main studs for 35 years. It took two pages of posts of guys talking about bottoming the stud out on the threads and galling the threads to suss out why guys are doing it this way, but now I understand it perfectly. Its just not the way I am about to do it. Clear?

10. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

I wanna smack the dead horse one time too....thanks for the explaination goatroper02. you brought back many a memory in my younger years...orange rag in hand ...grab gears....hot usually drop right in the hot grease and splash it on you. Yeah, they dont get changed cool very often.