Register now to get rid of these ads!

Incredible welds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty f100, Oct 6, 2008.

1. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

I was out of town out west for a month for work. Did getta go see Barrett Jackson and hung out last weekend at the Grand National Roadster Show, and it was a blast....but no welder in sight for 5 weeks. Got back Friday and was in the garage all weekend.

I took a couple of quick vids yesterday. There are pics at the end of each vid.

Desk Graffiti:

A couple simple cup walking fillets. Nothing fancy, but at least you can see the motion. One was laying wire, one was dipping and pulsing a bit with the peddle. The guys that do this for a living are super quick. I'm just have fun with it.

2. bracket

bracket
    from ATX

Some semi recent welds. Wouldn't call them incredible by any means.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

every time I read this thread my self worth drops a little further....

4. 1moore

1moore

That is a stitch job , you can tell by the dimples in each pool from the quick on off . It's the same as if you let up too quick with the pedal on the tig machine.

5. bracket

bracket
    from ATX

What welds are u referring to?

6. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

wow....im a Tig-ger by trade and im amazed. technique is different from person to person and those videos are completely different from what i would do. same type of weld in the end but different ways of doing it. amazing welds. wish i had a camera that could tae nice close up pictures.

7. Bead on a razor blade that a buddy of mine did

[​IMG]

8. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Heck yeah, it's always cool to see the different ways people go about doing the same thing. I'm always messing around with different techniques and pick stuff up from other guys whenever I can.

9. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

Aluminum fuel tank I built for my truck. Still learning . . .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. noboD

noboD

Josh, any tricks to useing silicon bronze? I know it requires argon for a mig. Also saw on Covell's site that he suggests useing a carbon arch stick weld with rods of SB. Which is easier for the rookie? It's for an OT body shop repair on boron steel.

11. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Oh man, I've never even SEEN carbon arc welding done. I've not migged with SiB, but I've heard it is really slick.

I tig it, and it's not too difficult. It can flow nice, but you've gotta find the sweet spot for it to do so, otherwise it balls up on the filler quickly and/or the puddle gets funky. You need to do short runs and keep the overall heat low or you'll crack the weld all the way through to the back of the base material, even if it's a weld on the top of the material. On thinner stuff you'll be doing that anyways to help with distortion.

Looking up stuff on boron steel, it's extremely sensitive to heat. SiB will be nice for that, because you don't need to put a lot of heat into the base metal. You just get it hot enough for the filler to flow into the joint. Sometimes it's called electric brazing if you're not melting the base metal at all. I would guess that when I do it, it's kind of a mix....maybe not a "true" weld or braze. Welding requires the base metal to melt, with brazing the filler flows in and "sticks" into the base metal, below the base metal's melting temp.

Funny you ask though, I just recorded this out in the shop yesterday:

12. noboD

noboD

Thanks Josh. I know exactly what you are saying about differance between true welding and brazing. This is being done as spot welds for repair panels. Not sure if my buddy's welder has a pulse setting, but it sounds like that might be an advantage. Covell makes it sound like a good alternative for panel replacement, because it doesn't shrink and uses low heat. Hope this isn't concidered a hijack, as it has to do with incredible welds. As always, thanks for your insight.

13. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

14. noboD

noboD

No brag, just fact!

15. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Yeah, Marcella does ridiculous work. His stuff is what made me want to try weaving on aluminum. I think it's been posted in this thread before.

There's a thread about his work on pretty much every auto forum in existence, and obviously 99.9% understand the talent at work. But there's a local tuner forum that someone posted that link on, and two or three guys were like "yeah, it's nice, but really anyone can do that with a bit of hard work"...I called them out on it, and they questioned if I actually knew anything about welding:D And of course they were all "too busy" to show their work.

That's next level stuff. Talent+hard work+passion. Not "everyone" can reach that level, no matter how hard they try. Freaking outcome based education ruined this country.

Here's what I was welding in that vid I posted earlier:

[​IMG]
    SiB on pipe edge by Brown Dog Welding, on Flickr

16. D.G.F

D.G.F
    from Las Vegas

the only pictures i have.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. wfsfab610

wfsfab610

Very informative, This is the kind of stuff I was hoping to see on this forum, There is such talent out there

18. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

One other quick thing about the silicon bronze....make sure you've got good ventilation. Not good stuff to breath in. I've got an old box fan I set up on my bench to suck air away when I'm messing with galvanized or welding with silicon bronze.

19. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

ok so i just printed out a couple of these and they are hung over my welding table. but for now i outsource all my welding needs to the pros. :) might have to take a welding class at the C.C. to learn how to really use the machine i talked my wife into letting me buy.

20. D.G.F

D.G.F
    from Las Vegas

21. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

22. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

This bit is awesome man!

[​IMG]

I finally bit the bullet and went for a new Inverter machine... Hope to be back in the game shortly :)

23. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

I made a base for my latest motorcycle piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone gonna be at the Detroit Autorama this weekend? Stop by and say hi, I'll be in the Artist's Alley in the basement.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  24. sixty34me

sixty34me

Holy shit! There are some bad ass welders on this topic! Here are some of
    mine.
    sorry for the crappy cell pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Smokey2

Smokey2

GOODER WELDS !

You'all maka' ME Sick.........................................Thanks

Smoked-up, In Tha' GREAT SMOKEY MOUNTAINS

26. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

Wish I could come and see you Josh... Not going to be there this year.

27. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

BUMMER!

another one from today

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  28. stewscoupe1929

stewscoupe1929

Josh you can weave those welds like no other! what kind of machine are you using?> i have an old miller econo tig.. plan on up grading soon! i was thinking about the dynasty 200dx? your thoughts?

29. river1

river1

i'm not josh but i have a Dynasty 200dx, i love it and so will you. the only problem with the Dynasty is that you can't blame the machine for your/my goober welds :cool:

later jim

30. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

word, the Dynasty 200dx rules. I've had mine for 3-4 years now, definitely a terrific investment.