Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starbird Rod and Custom Show Tulsa

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doc Squat, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Feb. 17, 18 and 19th. Tulsa, Ok. Whos showing and whos just going? I'm showing. Mid-winter kickin tire and bullshit session.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Like I told the kid, "Your musics not too loud, its just like OKC, it sucks!"

2. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

3. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

I guess it's just me and you squat.

4. 4psi

4psi

I will be there Saturday.

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

with the 3w?...hmmm?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. apache matt

apache matt

i will be going just to look

7. 4psi

4psi

I wish!! I will be picking up a few parts for it while I am down there..hopefully.

I am ready for some Coney Island.

8. flathead okie

flathead okie

Will not go to another Starbird Show. Overpriced and cannot leave unless you pay to re enter.

9. 4psi

4psi

Sounds like a strip club.

Come on, you know you wanna go. :cool:

10. redsdad

redsdad

Going Saturday.

11. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

You must have stopped by the Pella Window company and picked up some panes.

12. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Move in tomorrow. Looks like rain and there is not a car wash close to the Expo Center. I hate to drive my deuce down there in the rain. Oh well clean as best I can. Looking forward to meeting some new people and kicking tires with the folks I know.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

13. dirtyball

dirtyball
    from G town Ks

14. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I'm going to help friends setup but won't pay DS's high prices for the rest of the BS.

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The Coney Island part, yes! I make a couple of trips to Tulsa every year just for that purpose, nothing else!

16. redsdad

redsdad

17. kdavis

kdavis
    from ark

who won the 20k ?

18. JWall32

JWall32

The 59 Imperial

19. hartman601

hartman601
    from Tulsa, OK

not me...ha, yeah murray seemed like a pretty solid guy. 10,000 hours out of a 2 gar garage.

20. yblock292

yblock292

Lets see:
    1. $25 a head to get in
    2. $6.50 small beer, $9.00 slightly larger
    3. $3.25 shitty hot dogs
    4. Stupid *^#%$@( monster trucks, running like every 30-45 minutes
    5. 90% mustangs, cameros, chevelles
    6. a few (very few) very nice hot rods

Done with Starbird!

21. Wow, a Mopar won the $$$!!! That NEVER happens at a Starbird. Wonder if it had a SBC under the hood?

My last Starbird show was the 1988 event at the Myriad in Okalhoma City. It's all the name. Poorly run, to boot. I agree with yblock292 100%.

22. yblock292

yblock292

Thanks, i think alot of guys feel the same,the Starbird-Devlin show in Wichita was GREAT, no bull shit stuff, all for charity, well organized, good cars and put on by some really super guys. It was an outstanding show, low ticket prices, lower entry cost, none of the dumb shit stuff starbird did and does. Will defiantly do Wichita next year but will not attend another Starbird only show again.

23. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Agree. I was at GNRS and only paid $20.00. Starbird has priced himself out of business. Lets see 20,00 people at $25.00=$500,00. 45,000 people @ $15.00=$675,000. Seems like a no-brainer to me. I watched people come to the door and turn back when they found out it was $25.00. Lets see, a guy and his wife, a couple of kids, a cuople of hot dogs and cokes all around, $200.00. He had better wise up or he won't have a show.
    My entry fee $40.00.
    I know it can't be cheap to rent the building and he doesn't get a cut off the food and drinks. But $25.00 a head?

24. redsdad

redsdad

Hate to say it, but I don't want to see it cheaper. It was too crowded Saturday afternoon as it was. There doesn't need to be more people blocking my view.

25. Ramblur

Ramblur

Its been 30 yrs ago for me. Won tickets and a T-shirt from KMOD and I wanna say 'Wolfman Jack' was there. Good times as I remember...

26. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was the best Starbird show that I had been too for a while. I had a blast! Thursday
    afternoon (Thanks Ted) we went early to see what was going on and was amazed with
    the quality of cars that was at the show this year. This was the first year that we
    bought tickets for the Friday night Hall of Fame dinner, it was so kool. Bill Moore was
    to my left and Murphy was sitting right across from me, Bones right in in front. Got the
    chance to hang out with Alan Mayes and was introduced to Geno. Kenny Youngblood,
    Bo Huff, and many other famous guys that just spun this Kustom Nerd's head around.
    I'm thrilled that Starbird can attract all of these kool guys in Tulsa Oklahoma. If it wasn't
    for Starbird I wouldn't be able to meet these guys. Very Kool!!

The cost went up because the Fairgrounds raised their rate. I paid $25 Saturday to go
    to the show. I spent 8 hours (on a rainy day) at the show and I had to leave to get
    home for a ball game or I would have stayed longer. That is the rate of $4 an hour.
    Cheaper and better entertainment then going to a movie. Needless to say, a lot kooler
    then going to a movie.

This year I saw my favorite Willys and a Willys truck that I've ever seen. They're were
    to many people there to take pictures. The public was all over the place. Also a lot
    more Kustoms this year.

Thanks to everyone that I had a chance to talk to and I hope I didn't talk your ears off.

Happy Trails, Mick

27. sunbeam

sunbeam

The man made a name for himself by takeing credit for other peoples work.

28. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I have to disagree with you, the man was doing shit that nobody else was , and he did alot of them , I know at times he had people working for him, but for the most part he worked alone and build over 100 cars, the guys that complain the most about this guy are ones that have only built a couple cars their whole life.Who cares what the other guy is doing, I just get in the shop and work as hard as I can to get stuff done. I find dwelling on the other guy only slows me down and ruins my creativity. I know the strabirds have some people that don't like them , but who doesn't. I have alot of respect for this family, they have done alot for the hobby, like his sytle or not. If starbird stole your design or idea, wouldn't you one up him to prove it . The only story I have ever heard about in the confusion about the lil coffin, which has ben settled and he stated stuckey built it while working for him. No different then me building cars for mcphail, some ideas are mine some are his, and the cars are his. but how much of the physical work does dennis do? how much does rick dore do? how much does d"augastino do? and what about oz? see what I'm saying it takes two to build these cars, and the guys building many cars cant fund everyone so they need others to build cars for. just the way it is, but starbird hasnt build a customer car since the 60"s the rest were his cars. and thats doing something.

29. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Should have come on sunday. You could have fired cannons down every row and not hit anybody. I personally heard lots of people complaining about the price. One guy said he wouldn't be back as about 90% of the cars there he can see at any weekend rod run. I still say from a business stand point I'd rather have 45000 @ $15.00 than 20,000 @ $25.00. And who doesn't want to see more babes walking around?
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

30. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I totally agree! I haven't been there in years.