Register now to get rid of these ads!

Planning our first USA trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brenton, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Brenton

Brenton

Gday guys n gals,
    So, we've decided to plan our first trip to the USA for next year, and we're hoping to take in both Viva Las Vegas and the Lonestar Roundup. Probably go from LA to Vegas to Texas we think. I am seriously considering buying another kustom/ pickup to cruise and get around in whilst over there, can't stand the thought of cruising the most infamous highways in the world in a rental minivan/ plastic grocery getter, and then most likely bring it home with me to add to my collection.

Most likely be about a 3 week trip. There's a bunch of us going, all up about 15 I think, including 3 kids under 7.

Whilst in Cali, the wife and I are also hoping to swing by the Winchester Mansion (the missus is a huge fan of this place, absolutely fascinating history imho). We'll probably take in Disneyland (for the kids, and the kids in all of us, and do the 'touristy' thing) but only for maybe 2-3 days maximum, along with the Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon (better do the standard touristy stuff and go to see them, may not be able to get over there again for a while...)

The majority of us (except maybe a couple of the wives (not mine, she's as big of a car nut as I am)) are traditional hot rod/ kustom/ classic car enthusiasts, so of course we'll be visiting the likes of So Cal, Mooneyes, Austin Speed Shop and others and take in as much hot rodding culture and lifestyle as I can possibly take without overdosing (doubt that's possible though!).

I am dead keen on getting to a Bob's Big Boy Broiler for a REAL burger and shake, but are there certain cruise nights every week or is it every night?

What I'd like to know, from those of you locals over there, where else should we be aiming to visit? Both car related and 'just plain cool history/ architechture/ etc'. It'll be a flat-out 3 or so weeks but I can sleep on the plane home or when I'm dead so I'd like to try and get as much in as possible.

Any suggestions?
    Cheers,
    Brenton

2. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Your trip will be fun as you planned it. Us socal rodders still like trips like that. traffic is crazy sometimes but if its your first trip it will all be interesting. ahh I would recommend a rental vehicle so you dont have the worry of transportation problems.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If by the Winchester Mansion, you mean the Winchester Mystery House, keep in mind that it is about 400 miles North of Southern California proper.

4. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

In LA do the Peterson automotive museum. There is also a so cal speed shop in Vegas .also go to the nethercutt museum , I think that's what it's called, has a huge amount of cars

5. 59 brook

59 brook

nhra muesum in pamona and so cal speed is not far i did it in '10 when i was out there

6. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Lake Havasu, Arizona could be on your way between LA and Vegas. Amazing city, it is the home of the actual London Bridge. They dismantled it and moved it over on cargo ships. Every brick was numbered so it went back together the way it came apart. A lot of other cool things to see and do there, rent a boat and spend the day on one of the nicest lakes in the west! I know I see a lot of people on the HAMB from there so it does have a pretty good following there. Only thing I would be aware of for Havasu is time of year. 120 F. is not out of the ordinary for there in the summers.

Have a good trip!

Scot

7. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

Sounds like a great trip! If you buy old car for the trip, find one with easy to locate spare parts and a good cooling system... and carry lots of water. Some big, open expanses of desert/plains on that route, especially between Vegas and Austin. Although, I'm sure as an Aussie you're fully aware of how to prepare for a hot, desolate stretch of road. :)

8. Special Ed

Special Ed

That's a pretty ambitious list of things to see and do, especially considering there will be some kids along. Driving distances and times need to be a major consideration. What you've mentioned is already one week's (or more) worth of your vacation, just driving from place to place. I think you might want to reconsider your idea of hitting the round-up, as it is relatively far away from a geographical point of view. Nothing against it, but if you have time constraints and kids, it's a haul....
    Everything else is within a day's drive for you, regardless of any possible traffic issues.
    Here's a link to some various car-related stuff in the Los Angeles area that you can expect to see, and it's just the tip of the iceberg...
    http://www.socalcarculture.com/events.htm

9. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Brenton,

H&H Flatheads, 4451 Ramsdell Avenue, La Cresenta.

Ed Iskendarian Racing Cams, 16020 S. Broadway, Gardena (Dont miss Compton).

Masterson Kustoms. 11039 Atlantic Ave; Lynwood.

Old Crow Speed Shop, 52 E. Palm, Burbank.

Hollywood Hot Rods, 40 E. Palm, Burbank.

Barris, 10811 Riverside Drive, N. Hollywood.

Circle City, 931 W. Hoover St. Orange.

Limeworks Speed Shop, 7717 Greenleaf Ave. Whittier.

Hot Rod & Hobbies, 2769 Gaviota Ave, Signal Hill.

LUNCH at Philippes 1001 N. Alameda St. Awesome.

Get a tattoo at Tattooland, 2641 W. Lincoln Ave, Anaheim.

Dave Lindsay has tons of info here...http://www.socalcarculture.com/

The Early Ford Store, 108 West Bonita Avenue, San Dimas

Wed. evening @ Bob's Big Boy Broiler, Downey,

Slim

10. We will have a gaggle of Customs headed back to Roundup from Viva.
    We are going to run Route 66 out to Needles, CA, then up to Vegas.
    On the way back pick up the points along 66 we missed and on to LSR.
    Its going to be an awesome journey.

Hook up with us at Viva!
    We will be the 1962 Bulletbird and 1960 Ranch Wagon from Texas.

11. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

You're trying to do too much! LA - Vegas - San Jose - Texas. In the first place, you probably can't even do all these areas in three weeks. You'll end up missing a lot more than you'll do and you'll end up missing the reason you went to any given place. Vegas is worth 3 days, San Jose is another 3 days (or more, with 17 Mile Drive). If you go to San Jose, you have to go to San Francisco and that's even more days!

Recently, I helped plan a 24 day trip for a young couple from NZ -- no kids and they were exhausted from doing just LA and Vegas. Do yourselves a favor: stick with LA and Vegas (and San Jose, if you insist) and do it in a rental car!

You should post your arrival and departure dates so HAMBers can fill in the important events you should see.

Petersen Museum. Hollywood
    Nethercutt Museum, Sylmar (look it up on the computer)
    Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake (Burbank) on Friday afternoon, late. This is different from Bob's Big Boy in Downey (Wed & Sat afternoons, late.)
    Venice Beach on Sundays
    SeaWorld in San Diego .... and the San Diego Zoo
    Universal Studios and Hollywood Blvd and Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm
    Pomona Swap Meet

I'll PM you my phone number. Roger

12. Brenton

Brenton

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
    I forgot to mention we may have an ex-pat Aussie who lives in Texas along with us, which would be good.
    We may blow the trip out to 4 weeks if I can convince the wife...
    Thunderrocket, we're planning our trip for 2013, will you guys still be doing the run back in 2013?
    Slim, now you're talking, H&H Flatheads is on the list (I LOVE flatheads!) along with some of the others you mentioned.
    Gimpyshotrods, That's the one, Winchester Mystery House. Have been told by the missus in no uncertain terms we are NOT missing it (lol!) so will plan accordingly, thanks for the distance heads up.
    EchoOfGecko, that was definitely my plan, something along the lines of Chev Apache pickup/ early Ford F100s or wagons. Spare parts accessability is a must, along with cooling, I live in one of the hotter states here in Oz, so I know all about overheating!!
    Thanks again everyone for the advice, I'll be chatting with the others soon and start making things concrete on where we're going and what we'll be seeing etc.
    Cheers,
    Brenton

13. roughneck424

roughneck424

Might consider flying into San Francisco and getting the wifes Winchester House out of the way first. Then drive over to Vegas via Reno. Then 2-3 days to Texas then back to to LA and flyout of there? Not exactly a round trip in the airline so prices might be out of line.

14. Brenton

Brenton

Thanks Roughneck424. Not a bad idea at all...

15. gag1025

gag1025

No matter what you decide to do have a great time and enjoy this part of the US. I live on the east coast and have been to LA a couple of times and really did enjoy myself. I hope you enjoy your trip here as much as I am sure we would enjoy a trip to Australia. The next time plan on flying into Florida, but do so during the winter months because the summer is too hot to bear, especially in the South Florida area. Lots to do there as well. Disney World has a lot more to offer than does Disneyland.

16. Deu55

Deu55

Flew into LA and out from San Fran with no different in price.So you could do the opposite no worries.If you go to San Fran you must check out Brizos tell them where your from a ask if you can look through the shop great guys with so many cool projects .Sanderson Headers next door and Rodders Journal not far away also.We took a notebook with address of shops and places we wished to visit then put them in to a Gps.You have to try an In and Out burger...Rod

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

17. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

Speaking of burgers, when you're in LA, hit up Fuku Burger, or in Vegas, try and find the Fuku Burger truck. They post their daily schedules online and on Twitter, but it's worth the effort to find the truck. it's kindof a Korean burger fusion deal, last time I had the Tamago fried egg burger and it was the best damned burger I've had in a long time.