Register now to get rid of these ads!

A COUPE--Deuce rails or A- frame????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cheepsk8, Feb 19, 2012.

1. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Fixing to tear into my original 30 A coupe, first off its gonna be a highboy with no chop or channel. Keeping the paint and interior [ good driver quality]. I'm afraid with 32 rails it will sit too high and I will not be happy with the outcome. It'll be a V-8 car for sure. Anybody out there with regrets one way or the other. Personally I like either. Ride and performance are considerations as well. Don't hold back, how would you guy's go with it?

2. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

Deuce. No doubt about it.

3. VonKool13

VonKool13

Not even a question----32' rails!

4. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

If it will be flat motor powered-A frame.
    Any thing else 32 rails.

5. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Not gonna be a flattie. Really only considered the original type frame because the fenders and boards are in really nice shape.I thought it might be nice to have the option to throw them back on later if I wanted. I haven't bought a frame yet but plan to next month.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

"A" frame, full fenders, sbc with 3x2 and a '39 trans behind it. '40 Ford wheels (47 ford caps) with 7.50's out back and 5.50's up front. BLC-J headlights on a dropped bar, Pleated interior with a '47 Ford steering wheel.

Kinda like this in terms of stance....
    [​IMG]

7. brandon

brandon

Clean ride above.....stance is right on

8. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I will agree about the clean ride. Waffling on the frame question is ok til I spend the cash. I like both looks, that's the trouble.

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

32 frame without chop.. Model A frame with chop.. You can still get it fairly low on a deuce frame....

10. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

When you look at the profile of a a model A high boy on stock rails it looks too high off the ground---to unagressive. Even if you drop the car with an axle and lower the rear with suspension mods, it still has the less desirable look. Unless your trying to duplicate late 30s '"pulled off the fenders to make it go faster" look, it needs something to fill the gap. Some guys of that era left the splash aprons on. That was kind of a regional look that really never went over to well.
    IF your in a position to afford a 32 Ford frame that is "pinched" and set up for a model A----That's the way to go. IF your not in the position to afford that, you might consider "frame covers". Just what the name imply's, it's a cover that is attached to the side of of the the model A frame. I've seen a few that were pretty darn nice, one guy even put a 32 style "reveal" into his, I've also seen 2 that were of the "what were you thinking" category. I'm just sayin'. BILL RINALDI

11. The 32 frame will bring you down just fine. Longer wheel base give more room for larger OHV motors. Reworking the truck are of the floor pan will be required but it should not be a show stopper.

12. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Not so worried on cost on the frame, I like to buy high and sell cheap anyway. Mostly an option thing . My screensaver for a while now has been a bad-ass blue coupe on A rails and again a 4" chop, no channel. I have a pic saved I will post, from the HAMB of course, I cant recall whose car it was but I really liked the look when I saw it. Even liked the A grill, I might have lost the hood sides , but its not my car. It's on 32 rails and from what I can tell it sits fine.

Attached Files:

13. A Rodder

A Rodder

I would 100% go with the 32 railed chassis. I plan on doing mine, just might take a little longer than had planned.

14. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

It's hard to beat a chopt A coupe on deuce rails!!!

15. 32 rails for sure will work fine

16. Ianjaylights

Ianjaylights

They both can look good. It depends on the look you're going for. I like the look of a 1940s early 50s hot rod with an A frame and a higher stance.

If you want a highboy, then a 32 would look better but if you want to channel it, a model A frame might be better

17. !!!! ATTENTION

!!!! ATTENTION
    BANNED
    from court

Saw this custom frame A sedan at a show.Thought it sat nice.
    Low hi-boy,a med.boy?
    Clicked off a couple I-phone pic's

Attached Files:

18. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I was going the A frame route...then found a set of 32 rails. They look so nice, you just have to use them. Plus, less shoehorning necessary.

19. Now it speaks french :D
    It's mine since last november, it reached french west coast last january ;)
    [​IMG]

20. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

32 rails it is. Love the French car! I guess I need two coupes, so I can have both. Seriously, I don't think you can go wrong either way but I want the car to look good and drive well. My local area rodders all agree with the majority here. Good as well too, I can build my frame and running gear and have less downtime at the body swap end...............thanks!

21. If I went with deuce rails even if it is a high boy in my opinion it still needs a mild channel, maybe only a couple of inches.

You could still go with fenders at a later date no matter what frame you choose. Although if you use duece rails it woild be a wast to hide the rails.

22. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Check out the new, May 2012, Rod & Custom mag. Gotta be a Deuce frame. If your buying a ready made Deuce frame, look at Brookvilles modified for an A Deuce frame. Really a nice fit, pinched perfect at the cowl, available with or with out frame horns. BILL RINALDI

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, be different and put it on '32 rails like everybody else! My vote goes for "A" rails and fenders later... Mater of fact, the car Jeffery James suggests above is axactly what my parts collection is right now. Wish my scanner was working so I could show you Brian Bauers '30 from the October '78 issue of Street Rodder, it's one of my favorites and unchopped, fenderless, Chev powered.

24. Just built a 32 frame with a set of Dearborn Duece frame rails. Model A dropped front crossmember and I built the x and rear crossmembers...Only way to go. A lot stonger for your power train too. Pinch it to set the Model A body correctly.

25. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Drove today to a local rodder's garage. Hes putting together a 30 coupe on a Brookville 32 pinched chassis and it sat good. 4 inch chop on his though. His is gonna be flat-head powered, lake style headers driver paint. i went to look at the stance. The longer wheelbase is alluring for the extra room in the engine compartment. The traditional look is also hard to get away from. Everyone here has made some good point and your input is appreciated. I'll just hang up and listen some more. By the way , when I turn my computer on , I look at this. Makes me smile.

Attached Files:

26. josh highley

josh highley

If it's a highboy, 32 rails. You will not have any issue with a low stance if you want it.

27. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

The way I see it its like this,32 ford highest and most sought after 2.model A on 32 rails 3.model a stock frame,And thats just all about money....Resale