Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Best 1955 Cadillac build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonBurke, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Congrats on all the well deserved awards Roger! The car looks fantastic!!!! :D

2. Great update Roger, ever thought about taking up writing as a profession.....:D

3. Great write up Roger - great to read about you being out and about enjoying that car!!

4. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kool write up Roger, the Caddy looks kool in pictures but they don't do it justice.
    I couldn't say it better then Barney Fife would, "Its the Cats," That is what he would
    have said if he ever saw it in person. The paint is awesome.

I have a question for ya, Looking at the pictures, I noticed that the hood was up a
    lot. You having car trouble? :)

Thanks for posting the pics, I never get tired of looking at kool.

Happy Trails, Mick

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Awwww, you know how it is Mick, sometimes, in the Midwest heat, the radiator surfaces get really warm...hurts to touch it...got burned a couple of times. Even the steering wheel gets waaa-aaay hot...that's why the windows are down too. :p So, I open the hood to cool it off so I can check the coolant after it cools...and ya know, each time I checked it, it was right where it was supposed to be.:rolleyes: I prolly won't need to do that much anymore since the engine has quite a few miles on it now.:cool:

R-

6. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just wondering, Your on my "look up to" list and I'm always looking to learn
    something new.

Happy Trails, Mick

7. Ghost28

Ghost28

Well you definately got out this last year. Nice read and congrats on all the awards. You and dan both deserve them with all the work that you guys have put into your cars.
    See ya around...John

8. NoSurf

NoSurf

It was great seeing you and your Caddy at the Greybeards show Roger. I look forward to our paths crossing again this coming year. And gas is below $3/gal here in Abilene...

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

LOL, Jay...never say never, eh...???

Even tho it's "below" $3 right in your area right now...it won't be by April one, 2012, in time for the summer cruising...and that certainly won't be an April Fool's joke on the American motoring public...eh...??? No, the oil companies are waaaa-aaaayy too greedy these days...and they've gotten away with jacking up the price for way too long...we'll never seen gas to where it's easily affordable again.

It's $3.09 here...and it was good seeing you...

R-

10. BillyBob

BillyBob

Really excellent job there 40studedude! If your not to busy and want to head out to socal and help me with my 55 as well I would appreciate that! Or if you'd rather I could send you my 55 and see if that hood hinge fits as well as some body work

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

LOL BB, thanx but no thanx...I only work on my own cars (and I still have two waiting -a '60 Chevy two door wagon and a '48 Caddy Sedanet) and the closest I've gotten to SoCal in the last 10 years was Santa Maria...and that was three years ago. But thanx for the compliments on the Caddy...if the one in the avatar is yours, it's looking fine...good luck on it.

R-

12. BillyBob

BillyBob

Thanks R. Yes the one in the avatar is mine. That was shortly after my wife surprised me with it. Unfortunately it hasnt gotten much farther since we have had a son and moved into a new house and not to mention my crazy work schedule. But your thread has truely given me some much needed kick in the pants motivation to start on this build again. Hopefully a new hood hinge will be in my near future. So much to do and so little time.

13. ... or the Swedish version: So many women and so little time!

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Tony...how many times have you been married...??? You've got that kind of money...??? How's the truck coming...???

R-

15. Hi Roger.
    Ah, married only once, but working on the second...

You see, in our little country you only have to pay for the kids, not to the ex, when you change the veiw, so to speak!

"Bad" news is, I got 4 of the small ones...
    Good news, the youngest turned 18 last week and didn't want a gift, he said -Let's go to a bar, dad. I order, you pay!

And so we did!!!

Truk coming along too slow, but you have to take care of the children too...! :D

After the first run, now it's all about fixing more rust and searching for that little "ticking" sound from the motor. Probably a clogged lifter.

In the meanwhile, rod on and may Santa have some cool stuff in his sack!

16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Catching up . . .
    Really enjoy your Caddy escapades journal, Roger. What a great summer. The awards are well deserved and there are many more to come, for sure.

Your attention to detail is supreme . . . the spears, the header covers, hubcaps, etc.

I get a kick out of the fact that Dan is a man of so few words, while you . . . well, you have a marvellous way with words. Thanks for sharing y'alls summer story.

17. Gator

Gator

Yeah, he should write a book or something - haha. ;)

This is one of my favorite threads, and you're right Brer, the attention to detail on this car is fantastic.

I've said it before but IMHO when customizing Caddy's 'less is more' always applies - and I think Roger got it just right - a real inspiration.

18. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

just read all 39 pages of this incredible journey, all i can say is,

WOW!

19. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations on your Rod and Custom feature! It is a beautiful build and it's all documented right here on the HAMB!

20. Rod and Custom??? Cool!!! Guess I'm going to pick up one of those!!

Congrats Roger!!!

Bill

21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With your name on the cover, future generations of customizers will always know about this beautiful car! So cool . . . and well deserved.

22. Congrats on the Rod and Custom article!

23. So, I looked at the March and April issues of Rod & Custom and didn't see the Caddy!! What am I missing lol??

Bill

24. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

May.

25. 10-4, Thanks!!

Bill

26. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

27. mad-cad

mad-cad

Roger
    Congrats on the magazine feature,you and the caddy deserve it.
    -Tim

28. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Wow...!!! Looks like this thread got kicked back up when I was on my way to Rapid City for the Counts indoor show there and missed it...and just now noticed it since Mad-Cad kicked it back up...My sincere thanx to all, I appreciate the comments...

FWIW, I was invited to the Starbird-Devlin Wichita, Kansas, show, mid January, as one of the Magnificient Seven cars (of which there ended up being over 30)...the Cadillac didn't make the Final Seven, but it was certainly an honor to have been invited and to be there. The Caddy did end up with a "Slick & Smooth" award.

Two weeks later, I and the Caddy participated in Jack Walker's Cavalcade of Kustoms in the huge ISCA show at Bartle Hall in Kansas City, Kansas...and got a really nice leather jacket for bringing my car down.

[​IMG]
    Kansas City show, parked alongside Dave Pareso's radical Stude Kustom...

Ever been to Bartle Hall...??? Three city blocks long and filled with over 700 cars...the place is huge...I never walked so much at a car show in my life...!!! Thanx Jack.

Last weekend I and the Cadillac were invited to Rapid City, South Dakota for the Counts indoor show...what a fun weekend that was...My bro, Dan and I did lots of site seeing while the Cadillac sat inside, warm and dry. At the awards ceremony , I received a five foot trophy for "Outstanding Paint - Custom" and $500 cash...first time I ever came home from a car show with more money than I went up with...and that makes the second "Outstanding Paint" award the car has won.

Being in R & C is kinda like a dream come true...it's taken a long time for one of my cars to get into the mag...and a cover "drop-in" is very special to me...I'd be remiss if I didn't thank "Rusty Steele" for the photography and Rob Fortier (Editor) for the great job on the article...it's very much appreciated...

Hope to see some of you at some rod runs this summer...again, thanx for all the compliments...

R-

29. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Awesome R&C feature, Roger...you must be happy as hell!!:cool:

It was a well deserved feature and they did a fantastic job on it...your Caddy looks awesome...Congrats!!

30. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

WOW Roger two magazines featuring your Caddy,even one on the cover . Is the swelling of your head going down yet? You should be proud. Man even in the winter you are adding miles to the odometer,Cool. Rick