Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep!--'ol Teague loved the "Step down" low CG feature on those Hornets!
    He was a terror back in 1952!

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by noboD [​IMG]
    As with anything Smokey related there's more to the story. I'm guessing flipping the ring gear side to side would have fixed the one speed forward problem. He also pumped an abrasive slurry through the intake and head to open it up as they weren't allowed to port anything. But that and more is for the Smokey cheeting thread.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Okay, we all know that motor racing of any kind is about getting an edge -- without getting caught breaking the rules.;)

Now, I'm assuming all this "Smokey" talk has to do with the early years ('51, '52?) before Teague and Piggins developed the 7X :cool: Hudson Hornet engine. Totally serious question, 'cause we always run the risk of just feeding oft-repeated MYTHOLOGY :rolleyes: with only spotty basis in fact. Too many generalities here, folks.

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

DeuceDon, you are sure right about Marshall being a real man among men! Others won
    more races in the Hornets than Marshall (7), but he left NASCAR in '52 after locking horns
    with France, Sr. -- duh, who DIDN'T? Marshall could race anything with four wheels, so
    he did fine in motor racing until getting killed at Daytona Motor Speedway in 1959.

[​IMG]

Thanks for posting this pic Lowcat. '52, when Marshall Teague was called
    "King of the Beach" for his numerous early wins on the sand at Daytona
    in his "Fabulous Hudson Hornet." Hornet pilots, including Teague, Tim
    Flock, Herb Thomas, et.al., amassed more than 100 wins and two out-
    right championships from '51 to mid-1954 when Hudson could no longer
    afford to assist teams.

Teague worked with Hudson engineer Vince Piggins to develop the
    vaunted 220-hp Hornet 7X, introduced for '53 -- damned good for
    a flatty! He was the first driver to win factory backing (Hudson)
    and sponsor (Pure Oil). His team did include the famous mechanical
    master, Smokey Yunick. Well liked by everyone but Bill France,
    versatile Teague left NASCAR after 1952, excelling in other series,
    including Indy racing. He left with seven wins and an enviable
    winning percentage of 30 percent. Among his many awards and
    achievements, he was named two-time AAA national stock car
    champion ('52 and '54).

Marshall was a family man but had balls of steel when racing.
    He was the first man to die (testing an Indy car) at the new
    Daytona Speedway in 1959. One of the greatest in NASCAR's
    first 50 years -- a great in ANY series!

[​IMG]

Marshall and his daughter Patty, THANKS to Legends of NASCAR!

[​IMG]

Above appears to be a hand-tinted postcard image of the Teague
    #6 Hornet, THANKS to The Car Domain network. This illustration is
    from a GREAT feature done by Jim Brennan in 2009 on the Fabulous
    Hudson Hornet. Look it up! It's a real blast and FULL of facts about
    the Hornet flat six in early NASCAR when the flatty six spanked the
    performance V-8s of the era, from the OHV 303 Rocket 88, to the
    Merc and Ford flatties, to even the Chrysler 331 Firepower hemi!
    (blog.cardomain.com/2009/03/25/cardomain-obscure-muscle-car-par)
    <!-- / message -->

4. BillWallace

BillWallace

Brizo not to dissagree with you but the early Corvairs were very dicy if driven hard around twisty bits as were V/Ws & probably any cars that had the swing type rear suspension. Yes I was around then & experianced the phenom of the wheels tucking under when hard cornering. The late model Corvairs that had this straightened out using independent rear suspension were a very nice car. If G/M had not built this car to a price point maybe it would have survived but even today we saw G/M ruin a beutiful design in the Pontiac Solstace building to a price so its just the way they do things.

5. Well, sure. He flipped the differentials.

6. And not to forget his flywheel lightening trick. Remove the ring gear and drill holes radially and when the ring gear is reinstalled the holes are hidden.

7. jroberts

jroberts

I always enjoy pictures of the Hudson Hornets that raced in the early days of NASCAR and other stock car groups. Here is Herb Thomas in his Hudson at the Harnett Speedway just north of Spring Lake, North Carolina.

[​IMG]

8. Steven C

Steven C
    from Tennessee

[​IMG]

Iwo Jima under fire during the pre-landing bombardment, circa 17-19 February 1945. View looks northeastward, with Mount Suribachi and Tobiishi Point in the foreground.

[​IMG]

View of the southern part of the island, with Mount Suribachi at right, soon after the initial landings, 19 February 1945. Note ships firing from off Iwo Jima's eastern shore, and landing craft moving away from the landing beach area.

[​IMG]

Fletcher class destroyer off Iwo Jima, probably during the pre-landing bombardment of the island, circa 19 February 1945. Mount Suribachi is at left.

[​IMG]

Smoke and explosions on Iwo Jima, probably during the pre-landing bombardment, circa 19 February 1945. Location appears to be the rocky part of the island's eastern coast, just north of landing beach "Blue 2".

[​IMG]

A Landing Craft, Support (Large) [LCS(L)] operating off Iwo Jima, probably during the pre-landing bombardment, circa 19 February 1945. Note explosions and smoke ashore, flares falling overhead, and LCVP underway in the right center. This ship appears to be either USS LCS(L)-31 or USS LCS(L)-36.

9. Steven C

Steven C
    from Tennessee

[​IMG]

Large explosion at the northern base of Mount Suribachi, probably during the pre-landing bombardment, circa 19 February 1945. Note the smoke and dust shrouding the island.

[​IMG]

Landing Craft, Support (Large) [LCS(L)] off the eastern Iwo Jima landing beaches, probably during the pre-landing bombardment, circa 19 February 1945. Note explosions and smoke ashore, and the change in terrain between the relatively smooth middle section of the island (center and left) and its more rugged northern portion (right).

[​IMG]

Three cruisers and other U.S. Navy warships bombarding Iwo Jima, circa 19 February 1945. The cruisers include (from distant left center to center): either USS Pensacola (CA-24) or USS Salt Lake City (CA-25), probably USS Indianapolis (CA-35), and a Cleveland class light cruiser. The latter is heavily shrouded with smoke from its guns.

[​IMG]

Feb 19th 1945 - U.S. Sixth Fleet during the invasion

[​IMG]

10. Steven C

Steven C
    from Tennessee

[​IMG]

Corporal Tony Stein, USMC. Stein received the Medal of Honor, posthumously, for "conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life" on 19 February 1945, during the Battle of Iwo Jima.

[​IMG]

Sergeant Darrell S. Cole, USMC. Cole received the Medal of Honor, posthumously, for "conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life" on 19 February 1945, during the Battle of Iwo Jima.

[​IMG]

Private First Class Donald J. Ruhl, USMC. Ruhl was awarded the Medal of Honor, posthumously, for "conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life" on 19-21 February 1945, during the Battle of Iwo Jima.

11. Lookit all them future altereds!

12. Brizo

Brizo
    from Indy

BillWallace, as to the early Corvair rear axle "tuck-under",the key word there was,"driven hard", you had to go far beyond anything considered normal driving--like road racing conditions, and then it would spin out or over steer. Normal for a rear-engine car. No Corvair has ever rolled over because of this. In 1972, NHTSA test drivers could not even force a Corvair to roll over!--untill the slid it into a ditch going sideways.

13. War-era Gas Rationing in the States

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 1941 Chicago
    [​IMG]
    1941 Groton CT
    [​IMG]
    1941 Tunbridge VT
    [​IMG]
    1941 Berkshires MA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 11E

11E
    from USA

Oooh. Kidney belts...good idea on rigid frames.

16. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was there at Iwo--6 years later,(Korean War) holding amphibious manuevers for Inchon,there was still lots of evidence from WWII along the beaches. That black sand was the hardest landing I ever made!

17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bet everyone had their "A" stamps ready!!!
    This was a golden opportunity for the "Black Market" to thrive back then!!

18. Tacoma wa. narrows bridge? around 1968-69?

19. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Get your Ass off of that Car

20. Teens memories from the 40s and 50s
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    photos: LIFE online archives

21. WWII era (not PC but reflective of the times):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. WOW, your strip was only 440 feet? Not even a 1/8 mile strip, but a 1/12?? Can anything be "outran" in that short of a distance? :eek:

Just axin'

23. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

This is in Seward County, Nebraska in 1938. I imagine the Oklahoma rural schools in which my Mom began her career looked a lot like this one.

24. fordwrench

fordwrench

Here are some pictures I found in a suitcase full of pictures from my Grandfather. I think he is the tall on without the hat. These are from somewhere in Michigan, maybe you guys can help me pinpoint the exact place. The place looks new and they also sold Speed Liner boats ( I have never heard of them before). The pictures are from 46-48 as the Harleys look like 46 WFL's. My Grandfather was Ward Jenson, the dark haired lady may be my Grandmother but she died when I was very young and I don't remember her.

25. That would be the "Lions Gate" Bridge, form Stanley Park in Vancouver BC, looking across the first narrows to North and West Vancouver.;)

26. starwalker

starwalker

But Bisbee isn't on Route 66, it's down near the Mexican border south of Tombstone.

27. Still_Crazy

Still_Crazy
    from . .

Cigarette vending machine in England delivered a lit cigarette for a penny, 1931

[​IMG]

Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  28. 11E

11E
    from USA

WFL?...not familiar with that. Looks to be a mix of VL's and maybe some EL's. No. 2 is definitely a flattie so VL or civilianized WLA. Wish we could see more right sides and with better light. Whole lotta' money sitting there in today's bucks.:)

29. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

he also managed to turn the bell housing into a positive displacement blower on one of his cars connected a tube from the bell housing to the air intake and got something like 5 pounds of boost

30. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

yA man the truth realy hurts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.