Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old Rusty . . . a Father/Son '51 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrerHair, Dec 18, 2010.

1. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

cool build, efi or not. The frame and suspension look awesome, and good call on the Ford tails. subscribed

2. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

Yea, the efi thing is why I didn't post my build thread here. I was originally gonna stuff a caddy 472 in it, but then I figured I wanted to drive it. A LOT! SO I wanted AC, and all the non HAMB friendly stuff to go with it. One day I hope to build a sweet, HAMB friendly RPU with a 472.......

3. robleticia

robleticia

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The hamb is traditional for sure...but not totally unreasonable. The drivetrain and suspension will be hidden. And it may be a good thing to not highlight that aspect of it...but if the visible parts of the car look traditional, then I think that most of us here can appreciate it.

I think that the neatest part of your build though, is the fact that you and your son Billy are building it together. And that's absolutely hamb-friendly...and everybody here can appreciate that!

5. Draggin wagon

Draggin wagon

i only hope that one day my boys will come out in the garage and get involved like that.. really i guess the problem is were always workin on their stuff together.. ( dirt bikes and fourwheelers) its all cool.. one day ill have time to work on my stuff and will miss workin with the boys on their stuff.. keep doin what your doin!!! thats what bein a father is really about!!

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will catch up with you soon Rod. Would love to get you down here.

Thanks McNally!

Looks like you and me are cut from the same cloth Jaregg!

Hey Rob, look in the mirror and say that. :D

Thanks Ricky. And that about sums up 1/4 or more of HAMB builds.

Good on ya Wagon. Enjoy it while you can. At the risk of repeating myself, let me say that it is extraordinary how quickly they grow up and move on to the next phase.

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Took advantage of the engine being pulled to close up the silver dollar size holes (Edit) And touched up the cowl being as how the bonehead who had done the paint/body work sucked. Sucks a little less the second time.:eek:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same bonehead re-shot the dash and painted the inner fenders, clock housing and glove box door (latter 2 hanging from ladder). (By the way, I am applying for VP status in Andy's Bonehead Club . . . guess he's the Pres.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. metalix_421

metalix_421

lookin good man!!!!! keep at it

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rattle can touched-up engine mounts & IFS dings. Here's the final steering linkage.
    [​IMG]

11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bent a 5 ft. length of 3/4" galv. conduit to fit the left frame rail for engine wire pull to the trunk.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. fitzee

fitzee

here we go some more pictures!! loks good keep at it.

13. Jimmy

You might want to drill a weep hole at the low point of the piece of EMT. If not, water can stand there and rust the inside of the conduit.

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

Well at least the "bonehead" has good taste in his color choice eh! :D Its always easier the second time and usually looks better too ! I have to spray something on the 47 soon just for the inspiration if nothing else lol ! Looks good keep it up!

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks!

Just trying to keep up with you guys, eh?

Good tip, thanks Rod.

Figured you'd like that color Steve. Although I promise we didn't steal it from you. Billy picked it out on his own! (Bitchin' Blue though, ain't it?)

16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spent my free time over the weekend ciphering the electrical system. Going with Ron Francis Wiring. Using their Access 24/7 system (like that fuse panel is pre-wired and easily accessed). Also like that their wire is so clearly labeled over its entire length. Went through their catalog and figured out what to use:<O:p</O:p
    Switches (headlights, wipers, dimmer, ignition, dome/courtesy, trunk light, brake light, etc.)<O:p</O:p
    Relays (crash, cooling fan, brake light, cruise, neutral safety, A/C, etc.)<O:p</O:p
    Light sockets (headlight, parking, tail, tag, backup, etc.) Still undecided on these. Do not want LED. What do y’all recommend for headlights?<O:p</O:p
    Locating battery in the trunk (right side). It’s only an 8 ft. run to starter. How about this as an anti-theft system? Put a Master Battery Disconnect switch in the trunk. Park the car, open trunk, turn “off” . . . ? <O:p</O:p
    Gonna be $ 1,600 total. Give or take.<O:p</O:p
    Trying to determine all electrical needs before we stick the engine back in. Need whatever feeds front of engine bay (alternator, fan, horn, A/C compressor, lights, etc.) so we can route the wires the best way (as out of sight as possible.)<O:p</O:p

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's like watching paint dry . . . but this is the state of things. Re-worked the cowl (sand, bondo, sand, paint) yet again, then yet again. My paint & body skills are pathetic. But dagnabbit, I'm learning.

Paint & Body 101 at The School of Hard Knocks. (The professor doesn't seem to know much:eek:):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Looks good. Now all you lack is finishing it up!!! thanks for taking pics as you go,

19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sprayed Rubberized Undercoating on tire side of inner front fenders. Had used Eastwood on underside of body floor. Ran out and found some 3M at the local parts store (1 can). It was good and black just like the Eastwood. Ran out, all I could find was Duplicolor. It is brownish and has bubbles, very disappointing. Stick with Eastwood or 3M.

[​IMG]

20. Just checking for the weekly update....

21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Andy!

Spent some hours in the Ciphering Dept. but not many in the garage. Did manage to get that hole drilled in the EMT and painted the cowl again. Still nowhere near show quality; will repaint it again (losing count). Of course, the finished car will NOT be show quality, it will simply be "The best we could do for a first-time build", which will be good enough for us.:)

[​IMG]

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also removed some factory pedal brackets from toeboard and welded shut the orig. brake & clutch holes.<O:p</O:p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So you&#8217;d think by now we&#8217;d know every component and every vendor necessary to complete Old Rusty. But you would be wrong. Have been busy over the past couple weeks getting down and dirty with some part numbers and prices.<O:p</O:p

From US Radiator: had thought I would use their aluminum &#8220;Desert Cooler&#8221; rad. But have since decided to go with copper/brass ($ 67 upgrade). Alum. cannot be repaired apparently. Has a tranny cooler, but am thinking I might need an additional cooler. Any thoughts?<O:p</O:p

From Tanks Inc.: SS fuel tank w/ in-tank pump & sending unit.<O:p</O:p
    Already have SS brake lines from InLine Tube and clamps from Kugel Komponents.<O:p</O:p

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  24. I knew you had something to update!
    Keep it up. You will be done before you know it.

25. flatford39

flatford39

Just went through this whole thread. Amazing work. I would just forget about the Aholes that told you were off topic. You are about on topic with this thread as anyone can be. What you are doing is not only satisfying something that has been itching you but instilling that itch into the next generation.

Thank you.

26. heatnbeat

heatnbeat
    from Madera,Ca.

I also just read from the start of this thread also. Great job! the time you spent with your son makes all the extra time worth it.

27. I laughed when I read this . You kill me man . LOL!!!

28. nvr2lo

nvr2lo

Great job, you guys are kicking......:rolleyes:

29. greasebandit0801

greasebandit0801
    from houston

just curios hows the bolt on mustang II suspension working out im think of doing the same to my 52 thanks

30. Brer- Loving the thread, keep up the good work! You and your son will have people all over celebrating with you guys when you finish!