Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Kustoms of Larry Kramer.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 00 MACK, Feb 17, 2012.

1. 00 MACK

00 MACK

When I was about 9 years old in 83, I used to see the ads for Larry in Classic and Custiom magazine. Before long, I started going to the big KKOA shows in the mid west and got to see the cars he built and they werent only mercs. The guy was definitely one of the big players in the kustom revival in the early 80's. Here are some of the mercs he's done.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Larrys name here on the H.A.M.B is king of the mercs. I figured he deserved a formal into. LOL

3. twochops

twochops

I know how much you hate bubble skirts so I removed them
    and opened the rear wheel openings--enjoy -TwoChops

Attached Files:

4. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Who me? LOL I like them if the owner or the builder of the car is from Detroit.

5. hellcat666

hellcat666

Anthony post the picture of you when you were like 9 standing next to that white merc where it looks like your hair was combed with a shoe, thatl get this thread some attention

6. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

In the early 70's I grew up in a house across the street from him, he is the one who gave my old man pointers on doing paint and body work,when my dad was starting out. Larry stayed with the Merc's and my pop's did vettes, needless to say I had the best influences in my early years. And was the first guy that I remember having killer cars as a kid, other than my dad. I remember going for a ride in Larry's FAT RAT! I thought that car was the SHIT (AND IT WAS)!. I remember sitting in the passenger seat as my dad leaned in and said LArry don'y kill him, just scare him a little bit!..HAHA I need to get the old man back in town and head over to Larry's real soon.. Anybody have pics of the Fat Rat.. Purple Metal Flake Kellison with flames.. I know the old man does I will see if I can get them and have them scanned.. I also remember Larry build a T when I was a kid and thinking Holy Shit Thats What I want when I grow up!.. Kudo's LARRY and thanks for passing along the addiction! Ryan

7. he also did the roof switch and chop on my 1963 rivera and must have saved it from being junked it sounds like it was in pretty tough shape when he started on it

8. Mike53

Mike53

I have no pics but didn't he do that merc (loose term)for C.K. Spurlock,Kenny Rodgers manager and the founder of Gambler Chassis?

9. John B

John B

The Mercrodder

10. phat rat

phat rat

Nice photoshop Bill. But it looks better with the skirts

11. brandon

brandon

Did you know "big & little" frank and lil franks cousin kamen?

12. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Thanks Anthony, Larry is very cool.
    Slim

[​IMG]

13. brandon

brandon

Did this car get wrecked?

14. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Larry's built a lot of really nice cars over the years. He certainly deserves some HAMB recognition! Thanks 00 MACK!

15. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

@brandon...
    Larry told me...

”HE SOLD IT TO A GUY IN CHICAGO AND THE VERY NEXT DAY A LADY IN A SUV HIT HIM IN THE REAR. NEVER KNEW HOW BAD IT WAS OR IF HE EVER GOT IT REPAIRED. I WOULD SAY THE BODY WAS WIPED OUT. HE WAS SITTING IN CAR ALL THE WAY OFF OF THE ROAD AS HE HAD PULLED OFF OF ROAD DUE TO RADIATOR HOSE COMING OFF AND SAID HER FRONT BUMPER WAS AT THE DRIVERS SIDE OPENING WHEN SHE STOPPED. I DROVE IT PRETTY MUCH TO CRUZ INNS ETC AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE CAR..THE REST IS HISTORY..THANKS LARRY”

Slim

16. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

this is why i like it here. great info ,great guys and and legends like larry. always liked the merrodder. have a poster in the garage. saw it in 94, wow. hope he keeps building.

17. John B

John B

18. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

HAnser... ;) Yhea I remember them having a couple midget's in the garage.. I wonder what ever happened to them.. My dad and Frank the (dad) used to wheel and deal from time to time on vettes...

19. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Ouch thats a hard 'before and after' to look at..

20. John B

John B

This one resides in a friends garage. He inherited it from his dad. Been trying to talk him into changing the mirrors. I think a set of peep mirrors or even a set of swan necks would change the look to the better. But it's his and he wants to keep it like his dad had it.

If you look close you can see the Kramer Crest on the side of the truck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same truck in October of 1988

[​IMG]

21. brandon

brandon

Yeah ....big frank had a quarter midget in one of the sheds ....and his black on black on black ss chevelle. I remember going to their old house and picking up a 671 , chrome straight axle, hydro stick and some other stuff for big franks vega panel....lots of cool stuff...lol

22. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

One more chop, Larry. Is that too much to ask?
    [​IMG]

23. skrtchsr, your not asking to have that merc chopped are you? i fell in love with that car at the pumkin run last year , i wouldnt change athing

24. swissmike

swissmike

One of the few factory body styles that look awkward and beg to be chopped. I have a 39 coupe I my garage waiting to get the treatment.

25. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

Nope, Thats Larry's car just messing with him. That car is nice!

26. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Yep,he is as good as they come,I remember looking at one of his cars At butler county fairgrounds and talking about a stuffed engine compartment and body mods killer body work,makes a person want to scratch your head and ass and think how the hell?A true true customizer

27. king of the mercs

king of the mercs

Thanks guys for all the positive comments on my work. A couple negative but those were the guys that have no taste. Majority rules..thanks again...larry

fastcar1953 and AChopped1950ford like this.
  28. brandon

brandon

When are you going to post up pics of the ri:Dde in the garage?....?

29. king of the mercs

king of the mercs

As for my 39 merc coupe no chop will be done to it. Super original body and as good as they come..no rust no patch panels all original sheetmetal solid floors and trunk all originan and no patches. Don't get any better body then this car. A real sweet driver now as all late model running gear was added to it around 2000. Think i will just keep on driving it as it s a real fine road car and dependable as they come and gets 21 mpg with the 305 tpi engine...larry

AChopped1950ford likes this.
  30. king of the mercs

king of the mercs

The c cab got hit in the rear one day after i sold it to a fellow in chicago. Don't know if it ever got repaired or not. Never heard from the guy after that.