Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What us trad rodders were doing in the 70's...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drewski

Drewski

A lot of us picked up Vegas with blown motors for a little of nothing and stuck in a small block making a fairly quick daily driver.

I bought this delivery for a $100, picked up a wrecked Nova with a good engine, trans for $300 and put it all together for less than $1,000.

[​IMG]

Drew

2. Deuces

Deuces

I was there a couple of times in one of Novas or Camaros that I had.... How about the BIG parties down in Hines Dr. parks???? :D I remember back in summer of '77 there were so many guys and lots of chics in bikinis having a grand ol' time... Cars were parked on both sides of Hines Dr. :rolleyes: It was stop an' go traffic.. Dudes on Harleys grabbing a hand full of "cheeks" off the babes as they rode slow down the road... :eek::D:D
    I sure miss those days... :eek::(

3. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! I did the Vega thing with a white '73 GT and a 307 out of a '68 Impala.... I used the springs and sway bars from a wrecked '75 or '76 305 chevy Monza... I forget which... :rolleyes:

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

For all you young guys that never knew of him, I grew up watching his Christmas specials every year on TV. I am very proud to say that I saw him in person just outside of Danang in 1968. It was very special for me. I never had the tires hanging out of the wheel wells though.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I remember a buddy of mine buying a clean, rust free, numbers matching 440 4 speed, Dana 60 '69 Coronet R/T off the local Honda dealer for $900 in '77. 340 4-speed swingers and dusters were common under a grand.

6. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine, circa '81 (it was still the '70s where I grew up - and I loved it) Blue diamond tuft crushed velvet inserts on the seats.

[​IMG]

I ran those L-60 Firestone Super Sports until the cords were showing. They were no longer made so I was dreading replacing them. Ultimately the car got "Multi-Mile" brand "Super Wide G/T" tires, a popular brand carried by my brother in law's DX station. They were actually great tires. Wheels were Carroll Shelby "500"s.

Monroe air shocks were the lift kit of choice.

My Fairlane, probably 1979, more of a late '60s style I suppose, but faux Cragars on the back (Fenton "SuperSharks"), real Cragars on the front. No front bumper, shorty header mufflers. Slapper bars were made in shop class. We even got a pass out of school to go to the scrap yard for tubing! That was a great day. This was originally my grandpa's car, rubber floor mats and radio delete plate. Man, I wish I had this one back.

[​IMG]

My brother had a white Maverick Grabber with green stripes, running ET slots with small letter Goodyear Polyglas GTs. Trying to find a pic of that car as well.

CoupedeVille you are welcome to grab these pics for your tumblr site.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  7. Dam, I hope the porch was alright. :D:D

Man you screwed up a perfectly good chevy. Not that I never did something like that myself. Glad you are still here to tell about it.

8. txrider

txrider
    from Texas

Heh, I was an offender as well, 67 Cougar for me..

9. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

Pretty cool website! I acrually knew a few of the cars and owners.....i still know this guy today and he still has the roadrunner with a blower now!:) [​IMG]

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I SURE like your fairlane! Hell, I wouldn't be ashamed to drive that now!

11. Looks to me like he had a blower then too!

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

Since we are so far off topic.......(I'm on the left) I bought the GTO 2 weeks after graduating high school 1979. $1100.

Attached Files:

13. wvenfield

wvenfield

My neighbors 56. 1977.

Attached Files:

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^Hey! WTH! That '56 has a front bumper on it!

15. F&J

F&J

My 50s built roadster, pic taken around 1971 when I first got it. I've always liked old rods, I'm not new to this stuff:confused: :)

Attached Files:

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

I would love to have seen Tull back then......Zeppelin for that matter too :rolleyes:

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

hahha Zepp was the first concert I ever went to. 8th row ticket was $18.00! '77, last time they toured in the states.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

hey Frank, you know, I enlarged that pic, and that uh, well, that white powder in the middle of that photo kinda looks a little suspicious. Maybe you are taking this whole seventies thing a little TOO far??:eek::D

19. CoupeDeVille62

CoupeDeVille62
    from Chicago

Gents -
    thanks for sharing your photos and stories here.
    As previously mentioned, I started the blog as place to share the images I'd collected - but what I've found the most exciting is reading the countless stories the various owners have shared across the internet.

B

20. The Army used to have groups give shows from the Philipines that were clones of American singers. Close your eyes and your listening to Jim Morrison or Jimi Hendrix ... sorta like the guy is doing with Journey (Steve Perry) today. Never heard them doing English singers ... that woulda been a trip.

21. Tickets? They just put you in the back of a duece/half and told the driver where to go.

22. classicfins

classicfins

Shit.. man those days were bad ass.. I miss them...

23. classicfins

classicfins

You have no clue how much fun you missed....

24. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

And boy would we get in trouble if we did it today! :eek: :D

25. classicfins

classicfins

I'm doing my part to bring it back.. Currenty starting on a '71 Vega wagon, junkyard parts, Crager S/S wheels, jacked up rear, probably white and blue pearl with flames. No billet, no 5 speed, no computerized fuel injection, just pure 70's bliss...Most people will hate it :D

26. classicfins

classicfins

I recall a few of these 70's machines in my driveway from time to time. My buddies and I were always cruisin or building something cool....

Attached Files:

27. Deuces

Deuces

Looks like your buddy just got done burning one.... I could see right through his glasses.. :rolleyes:
    Don't ask me how I know these things... :D:eek::D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  28. Harms Way

Harms Way

And here you go,... Same exact day, But way North of the show,.. probably within hours of each other.... Don't know why,.. but this kind of wireds me out a little............

[​IMG]

29. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Back in the Daze! Class of '70 Redlands Ca.

30. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

Bracket raced every week end from '75 to '85, got over the jacked up deal in 79, back halfed the Chevelle, started winning some of the money back I burned. Hijackers and thrush muffs and wheel hop, yeah them's was the days, NOT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.