Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ok, gotta dumb, kinda O/T question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Feb 18, 2012.

1. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

So, I have had this happen before, and I'm just now thinking to ask about it. Tonight I moved my truck around in the garage. It's a flat surface, and the driveshaft is not connected. Why is it when I start to push the truck, I can feel it want to roll back or forward opposing me at times? Is it something to do with the rear end? Or am I just nuts? Both?

Moved from here:
    [​IMG]

To here:
    [​IMG]

The excess transmission fluid on the floor didn't make it easy to fight the beast...

Edit: Just to save some reading, what I mean is as the truck starts to move one direction for a few inches, is tries to go back to it's original position.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Crap, sorry about the huge pictures. I thought I was able to make them smaller... guess not. Should have just left them off. Oh well.

3. you are from waco tx!! there used to be alot of craze people there.

4. Willy301

Willy301

If you have Bias tires, it could be due to minor flat spots. It could also be due to minor floor deviations, it may look flat, but it likely isn't perfectly flat. Just my thoughts on it...

5. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Haha, what do you mean "used to be?"

I'm as certain as I can be the floor is flat, but those tires are from a junk yard. Just needed something to keep it rolling... But, I've noticed it on my daily drivers as well. I just assumed it had something to do with the transmission on those. Like I said, just curious.

6. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

There still are.....lol

7. Ghost28

Ghost28

Hmm. maybe the brakes shoes have a little tension, and they are springing back on ya.

8. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

Cool truck! I think that's the tallest radiator I've ever seen.:D Could it simply be the moving mass wanting to stay in motion?

9. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I dunno, no brakes on the back yet (do that on Monday) and the fronts are disc, would it still do that?

Haha, oh that radiator... It's from a late model Chevy and it's been turned on it's side... I was too cheap to buy another one. :rolleyes: If you look at the bottom left (from the front), you can see the original radiator cap. And thanks for the compliment!

I wish it was a case of mass in motion. Most of the time, I get the truck started in one direction and it still tries to roll back. It seems like if I get it over it's little hump, I'm good to go. Same with other cars.

10. ptpdub

ptpdub

don't mean to change the subject, but your truck is so sweet!

11. greaserjohn

greaserjohn

That looks like a 500 cadi engine.

12. belair

belair

BATF took care of that.

13. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Did you go to Woodstock?......just checking off a list of things that you could be experiencing........like the guy said...could be tires flat spotted a little from sitting....or you could be spending too much time in the garage...either way, I think you'll pull through...remember, If you can handle the harrassment here, you can make it anywhere.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's possible that your shop is built on a VERY slight incline. There's a road somewhere (Austin?) that you can put your car in neutral and it'll roll up hill by itself. May be the same thing.

15. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I may be a light weight, but I swear it was only one beer...

It seems like if the shop was on an incline, the truck would keep rolling in one particular direction.... I dunno, I'm clearly losing my mind.:D

16. metalshapes

metalshapes

Toe in or toe out?

17. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Toe in right now. I have yet to take the time to set it straight.

18. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

my truck does the same thing,i believe the bias are my issue

19. physics? every action has an equal and opposite reaction. im just kidding but im sure it does have a part. evry time i tried to move a front clip that i had(with motor still in it) it was a PITA.

20. modeleh

modeleh

Does it have a spool? Sometimes wide tires and a locked or tight diff make a vehicle hard to roll unless going dead straight, the tires can't scrub to compensate.

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

She's just a fat stubborn bitch, Hawk...lol.

Seriously, you said once you get it over its "hump", you're movin'.

That's the tires...from sittin'. Maybe put a little more air in 'em?

22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

X2, is this only happening when you have the fronts tires turned to the left or right?

23. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Any kind of "posi" rear end can cause this.

24. n847

n847

I would guess the posi thing could be a problem, but I've never noticed it in my cars...but I would be more likely to believe the front end alignment would cause this problem!

Also did you mount your rear end or was it a frame swap with original axle could it be possible the rear end is not perpindicular to the frame?

25. A Rodder

A Rodder

Its the tires, plain and simple.
    I don't think he has spools in both his other is cars.

26. tjmercury

tjmercury

Metal shapes beat me to it. I was gonna say the sideways flex of the tires due to toe in or toe out

27. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I have bias tires on mine, and they will act strange that way. I had radial temps on it when building it, and a world of difference on same floor in same place.....as far as Waco, try some weed first next time ???? LOL :eek:
    Cheers.......

28. I think it is just trying to get away from the Ferrari flag.

29. squirrel

squirrel

put more air in the tires.

30. afaulk

afaulk

Just goes to show ya....lots of bored people checking out this site, Hahahaha. Seriously dude, Patron will make things seem a bit off center!