Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roadrace cars... vintage, nostalgia, historic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zman, Dec 18, 2009.

1. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

One of my favorites. Donna Mae Mims

Attached Files:

2. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

Another favorite, Bob Tullius at Bryar with the Trans Am Tempest/GTO

Attached Files:

3. wisdonm

wisdonm

My parts catalog 1000TC had a lot of wins on it. I think it was still winning in the late '70s. I wouldn't doubt that Datsun bribed SCCA. They always could and still are being bought by the highest bidder.

A friend of mine used to both road and drag race this Chevy sb powered MG TC. Sometimes he'd run a road race with the drag chute still attached.

[​IMG]

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=27640&pictureid=366677

4. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

Bangshift just did a mini-series on the outlaws of racing and included a bit on the Gray Ghost.

5. Still_Crazy

Still_Crazy
    from . .

Ahhh....the 60's

[​IMG]

6. Yeah! I think I went there, when I was back in NYC, "back when". I believe that one on the right, when dancing on the bar, could pick up a fifty cent piece with her.........ahhh, never mind!!

Isn' that a neat looking Healy 3000 Six????? I didn't know they did road racing down in "The Village.

7. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

I remember that Healey, it was purple too.

8. [​IMG]

Phil Hill in John Von Neuman's new Ferrari Monza, goes inside Jim Peterson in his Jag XK-120M at the 1955 race at Glendales' Grand Central Air Terminal

9. slick377

slick377

[/QUOTE]
    Now that's PHOTOSHOPPING....

10. Now that's PHOTOSHOPPING....[/QUOTE]

Sorry! Josh Shaw already identifed it as such, a couple of years ago:D

But, thanks for coming to the party:cool:

11. <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    FYI

For those who've not seen my post on the other vintage racing threads: The book, "Pole Position: Rex Mays" by Bob Shilling is now at the book stores.

I'm over halfway through my copy. It's full of information and photos, much that has never been public. However, being "pricey" ($125), take a look at a copy before buying. It's not just another "coffee table" dust collector. It's written for the devote Mays and oval racing fan and serious researcher.

For those in SoCal, the author, Bob Shilling, will be at a book signing the day after tomorrow (Feb. 25th), 10 am to 2 pm at Autobooks-Aerobooks, 2900 Magnolia Blvd. Burbank

Though I know the author, I have no financial interest in his effort.:)

12. [​IMG]

This is one of the many really neat MG specials of the day. This one was built by the Raville brothers, driven at the Glendale races by Clarence Raville.

13. damnfingers

damnfingers

I am so jealous...love that car! :D

14. [​IMG]

This other MG special is that of Marion "Joe" Playan. I often wonder if these specials, mostly listed as 1466 c.c. were the factory XPEG engine; or an XPAG engine (1250 c.c.), bored and sleeved. I know, if they were the latter; and they were sleeved with 2 1/2 Riley sleeves, they were displacing considerably more that 1500 c.c.. From my experience, the boring and sleeving of XPAG engines made for a very fast MG. They also made for great "Hand Grenades":eek:; though, frankly, I never lost too much metal out side the engine.:cool:

15. indybail

indybail

I bet it was hard to sneak up on folks a a "sleeper" with that chute.

16. [​IMG]
    A Mercedes 300SL, in 1955, was somthing new on the road courses of Southern Californiia. The customer cars were virtually all steel bodied. The one here in the photo is apparently a "customer car".

Lance Reventlow and Bruce Kessler worked a "switch-a-roo". They took a steel bodied "MercSL" through tech inspection; then ran an alloy bodied racing version in the races. That trick dismayed many a Corvette driver and fan.

The two lads also lied about their ages. I'M SHOCKED!!!!!:D

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

So why hasn't anyone noticed the TWINS?!?!? Heck with the car. Gary

18. VectorGES

VectorGES
    from Conway, SC

19. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  20. 55xgasr

55xgasr

'69 Firebird X-Trans Am SCCA racer

Attached Files:

21. 55xgasr

55xgasr

Before & after some details

Attached Files:

22. damnfingers

damnfingers

I remember "The Purple Onion" in San Francisco back in the early 60's as well as the "hungry i". Life back in the good old days! :D

23. scanner will not conect
    have some of my car

24. [​IMG]

This is Josie Von Neuman in her step-father's (John) Ferrari 1.9 litre Mondial. As I recall, she was a tough competitor.

25. I don't care that the car isn't HAMB friendly but what makes you think that's an ex-T/A car?
    Nice car though!;)

26. bettlesr

bettlesr

Here's a shot of a 56 vette I ran at Bryar during the 70s

Attached Files:

27. indybail

indybail

Hey! I found the needle!

28. autoidiodyssey

autoidiodyssey
    from Maryland

29. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps

Cool thread! Here's one you don't see too often, a 1964 Studebaker Daytona...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  30. These are the "Creme D' Le Creme" of historic racing. When I was a kid, I thought the Brits were crazy running those ERA's up against the other European marques. It's only been in the later years that I realized how fast those 'buggers" are.