Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

2. flamdit

flamdit

this thread is the best here is my 55 suburban

Attached Files:

3. GaryS

GaryS

I don't think a center sump pan from a LA will clear, or at least it would be a very tight fit. I measured just over 8" clearance between the front crossmember and the steering hardware, while the pan measures about 9". It's hard to get an accurate measurement, but at best it would be a tight fit. Maybe the old A engines have a smaller sump.

I should be able to use a truck pan with a rear sump. The only thing that concerns me is the 1" deeper sump that might drop it far enough below the crossmember to put it in danger of hitting high spots in the road.

Since I need the entire drive train, I think I'll look for truck 360 and transmission cores with all the accessories, brackets and miscellaneous parts that I need. And since I'll be fabricating motor mounts, I can mount them higher if needed to get clearance for the pulley and raise the pan a little bit. If needed, I can also enlarge the floor hump to accomodate a change in engine position.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  4. GaryS

GaryS

Thanks for the dimension info. That pretty much verifies what I've been calculating, but the front sump has me scratching my head?? I wonder if the A engines are set back? Without parts in hand, It's difficult to determine the actual mounting points in relation to the mount location on the block. I'm going to use the later model spool mounts, so will be fabricating the attach points from scratch. I'll spot weld them in until I get the engine and transmission and can fit them properly

5. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

one of my 56 plymouths also have a 2 door savoy

Attached Files:

6. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

Nice to see another suburban. Post some details on it when you can.

lc

7. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Sweeeeet, I like the cars!!

Attached Files:

8. GaryS

GaryS

I had forgotten that the service manual had this info.
    [​IMG]

9. Finadk

Finadk

GaryS,
    It can be done. [​IMG]

A stock 7" crank pulley will hit the frame unless you lift the engine, I wanted to keep it as low as possible so like Nick said, went with a 5" March underdrive pulley.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Center Sump oil pan will also work, I used a Milodon 30755 center sump pan that is supposed to fit A, B and E bodies. It seem to clear the steering linkage fine, but I am going with a Rack & Pinion that I am still in the process of working out.

The engine is offset to the pass side, I just lined it up by centering it in the with the trans tunnel. A 727 will fit no problem and Imperial Services makes a transmission mount for that conversion. I went with a T56 6 Speed and modified the original mount to work.

I will post more info soon.
    Scott

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  10. George

George

There's been reports of problems getting stuff from Imperial Services lately....

11. GaryS

GaryS

Scott, are those stock '56 front mount brackets?...or are they from Butch's kit that was linked on an earlier page?...or?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  12. George

George

Don't know on the 55-56s but the 40s & early 50s use the rear sump Pick up & van set ups, by 60 the engines used a center sump. Where your saying center sump I'm thinking that you'll have to find a center sump set up from an "A" Poly. Much more familiar with the Hemis than the "A" Polys, but I'm thinking that the oil pans will interchange between A & LA. Someone will come along & crawl my butt if I'm wrong about it, I'm sure!:)

13. 56budman

56budman

Hey i'm one of those who fell in love at first site with my 56 custom royal lancer,I do need parts,anyone who wants to contact me my number is 712-212-6634 Thanks !!

14. Finadk

Finadk

Gary,
    The Tabs were already on the frame as mine started its life with a V8. The Six Cyl cars do not have the frame tabs. Nick cut his out of a parts car. If yours was a 6 cyl from the factory the Butches kit may be the way to go. The engine mount brackets and rubber isolators were from Chassis Engineering Inc. Remember on the LA blocks the drivers side mounting ears on the block are two different widths depending on the year of the block. At some point they made them closer together to clear the PS box. I forget the dimensions but there is a 3/8 or so difference on the mounting brackets. Chassis Engineering has both.

Scott

15. kapa73

kapa73
    from finland

hi,
    looks like you have a lot very useful information here and
    awesome cars. I will take my time and read this thread.
    I have -55 belvedere with flathead 6 and powerflite.

16. canucktruck

canucktruck

Question: Is this a steering wheel for 56 Plymouth? Somebody told me it was and it was discontinued early 1956.

Attached Files:

17. tjsfury

tjsfury

It looks like one from the photo. That unbroken horn ring is valuable.

18. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

I've been told that that wheel was a rather rare option inthe mid fifties Plymouth. The same basic wheel was used in 57-59 Plymouths (I believe) but with a different horn ring. I'm no expert and am only passing on what I've been told. Nevertheless, I'm sure it is somwhat rare and valuable.

19. George

George

Might post this @ www.forwardlook.net

20. Granger Perry

Granger Perry
    from Albany, WI

Does anyone have a extra set of 55 plymouth tail lights?

21. delux wheel....pm sent....

22. torch2099

torch2099
    from SoCal

Just wondering how big of tires people have put under these cars. right now I have 235/60 R15, wondering if anyone has been successful with any wider.

also, on 15x8 wheels.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  23. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

running 245/45/17 on mine

24. VETTE 89

VETTE 89

Sorry about breaking this thread, but I am lookig for some info on 1955 Plymouth. Here is my story. In Dec 1956 I purchased a 1955 Plaza 2door, V8 ,3speed. This car had never been titled in Mich., but was driven on manufactors plates. The car was a plain black, but the interior was what you would get in the Belvedore. The engine was the same as the Dodge, a 270ci, rated at 198hp/4barrel dual exhaust. I never saw another one like it. I owned it 2yrs before being wrecked. Put the motor in a 1950 2door. My question is has anyone out there have any info on this? thanks

25. GaryS

GaryS

I've seen enough Mopar "one of none" cars, to never doubt what strange combinations left the factory. The Michigan D-plates give even more crediblity to the authenticity of your '55 Belvedere.

Special order cars were quite common in those days. I worked for a Chrysler-Plymouth dealer in '64, and I special ordered a '64 New Yorker 4-door hardtop for an old farmer who didn't trust automatic transmissions. I'm sure he had the only '64 New Yorker ever built with a three speed manual and a floor shift.

FWIW, I watched an old movie last week that featured several '56 Chrysler products and one of them was a black, '56 Plaza, 2-door, driven by Rock Hudson. the interior shots I saw weren't very clear, but the dash looked like a Belvedere. I know that movies often film interior and exterior shots in different cars, but this looked to be the same one.

I also saw one of two factory '60 Plymouth Florida Highway Patrol cars in Orlando, that came equipped with Hemi engines two years after they stopped production. I've never found anybody who knew that they even existed. I know they were factory built, or modified, because one of the salesmen knew I was a Mopar enthusiast, so he took me in back to show off the oddball car.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  26. sickboy713

sickboy713
    from oildale

that is almost the same wheel i have in my 56 belvedere, mine has an embelem on the center part.

27. VETTE 89

VETTE 89

Thanks Gary S, wouldn't mind trying to put a new Hemi in one. My brother did it in a 66 cuda, really nice. Thanks again

28. GaryS

GaryS

Since deciding to go with the stock front suspension, instead of a Dakota clip, the restoration gods are punishing me!

I have one side disassembled and cleaned, but the other side is giving me fits. My half-inch Craftsman impact wrench won't even break the parts loose. The car has been sitting for over a decade, and the grease has set up like glue. I've solvent cleaned everything and applied penetrating oil to all threads and joints, and then let it soak for several days. I got two more loosened today, but still have a couple to go.

I cleaned and soaked everything again, and will let it sit for another few days before I take on the last two, but I'm beginning to think the Dakota swap would have been a less difficult option.

29. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

Plymouth didn't come out with their own V-8 until 1956 when they used the 277 poly. In 1955, the V-8 Plymouths used Dodge 270 poly motors, so that in itself isn't odd. The interior combo is what I find more interesting.

As GaryS stated, it wouldn't be too far off to say that it was a special order combination of the 4 barrel, manual trans, and the higher end interior- the Belvedere's were generally two or three toned cars, so if the buyer wanted a plain black car with the upscale guts and drivetrain it probably could have been ordered that way. Regardless, I'd bet it was a pretty neat car.

30. Get some MAPP gas Much hotter than propane .Heat & beat !