Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Gasser Passer is back in Ohio !!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by careyohio, Jan 22, 2012.

1. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Oops, you caught me off guard. You did say Thames and I was thinking immediately of the 33. Thanks for setting me straight.
    It's interesting that it is still around, but I guess we're finding out that there are still a lot of survivors.

2. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

in the October 1965 HOT ROD magazine starting page 78 and goes
    3 pages of color pictures of this car. It also shows what the frame looks
    like with out the body. Im not sure if I can or could scan these pages
    and post them.
    The crews picture is also in there.
    Jack Goode, Robert Hall. Bill Jones, Ohio George, Ralph Kaup,Bob Nugent,
    and Larry Trout.

The color (according to HOT ROD ) is Pontiac Jubilee Gold lacquer.

there are a few interior shots also if you need them.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  3. great find, I vote for un-chopping it....and bring her back to Gasser Passer configuration. my 2 cents... look forward to seeing more

4. careyohio

careyohio

My son found that copy in his collection. Thanks.

5. Devonrod

Devonrod
    from london uk

I always thought this car was great, had a centerfold of it on my wall in the 60s, needs to be unchopped and restored, a roof with long posts would be fairly easy to find here in the UK and just shipping a roof shouldnt be too bad, you could ask on the NSRA UK site or Rods n Sods site if anyone can help.

6. SvenOla

SvenOla
    from Sweden

Gasser Passer configuration and keep the chop in my opinion .....

7. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

How did you track that one down? Awesome find. I say unchop it, paint back as the gasserpasser and race it.

8. brandon

brandon

You sure on the camaro hood deal..?...I have pic of a thames with a 61 chev hood rear panel

I vote for a rebody sans the chop.....

Now someone find that maverick

9. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Wow! Subscribed and looking forward to updates! And, yeah, I vote unchop and duplicate the original... Very cool!

10. wiseman45

wiseman45
    from terrell,tx

I have a car that is a lot like the Gasser Passer. I'm a fan of George Montgomery too.

Attached Files:

11. careyohio

careyohio

Started sanding the paint off of a rear door.
    The dark gold color is the " GOLD GETTER " paint and the lighter gold underneath is the original " GASSER PASSER " paint.

Attached Files:

12. careyohio

careyohio

Nice car.
    What's the color that it's painted ?

13. careyohio

careyohio

It was nice today, so I shoved the car outside and started bead blasting ( Not sandblasting ) the paint off down to the gold color. One layer at a time. Takes awhile, but saves a lot of hand labor. A few more nice days and we should have it all down to what's left of the original paint.

Attached Files:

14. jimbob

jimbob

Can't believe that thing still existed, another vote for a full resto and lifting the lid. Good luck with it!

15. sololobo

sololobo

My newest hero's, atta boys. Killer! ~sololobo~

16. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Man! Im on the fence. That chop looks super mean and I love the spindlemounts up front (sell them to me?).

Since you will NEVER make it 100% original, like finding the original motor, trans and so on - I'd keep the chop but still do the paint and so on. No matter what it IS the original car.

17. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Check this one out. Good running car too. Ran him at Texas Thaw.

[​IMG]

There is a video of our race on one of the Texas Thaw threads, but I seem unable to post a link to it.

18. Dominick Hide

Dominick Hide

Here is the video...Just click on image to view....

[​IMG]

19. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

^^^^Thanks! I should also mention that Dominick took the picture I posted of the Gasser Passer. I tend to "borrow" his shots:eek:....hey I can't help that I have good taste!?:D

20. trksmth

trksmth

I can't get enough of these finds! Good luck in your choices. I know your not going to make everybody happy, but you know what needs to be done to make it how it was. I'll check back to see how it is coming along. Mike

21. careyohio

careyohio

More progress. Bead blasting the body down to get to the original paint. With bead blasting you can remove one layer at a time .Looks like when it was chopped the paint was stripped down to bare metal on the back and top of the body. Also found out that the top chop was brazed and not welded. A little more warping but nothing we can't handle when we unchop it.
    We went to Mich. a couple weeks ago and picked up a PETES ENG / MONTGOMERY " Pruned " blower off of Al Bergler. Really nice guy ! We are still looking for the PETE'S ENG. blower drive for it . Chasing a lot of leads on parts......hope we have some good luck finding what we need.
    Going to put a running motor in it so Rob can move it around Thompson under its own power.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  22. I love that car!

23. violet springs

violet springs

Glad to her you are going to unchop the top. Congratulations on your second place finish during tech week, I voted for you. I was a little disappointed that my tech didn't make the cut; I'll try again next time. Looking forward to see you and Rob at Thompson, I plan on bring the Willys but it won't be ready to race yet.

24. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Looking good. :) Only 5 weeks until Thompson and I can get a closer look.

25. n847

n847

26. spacebull1

spacebull1
    from Belgrade

Me too..<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:)

27. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lookin' good! Have you found another roof to unchop it?

28. Looks like the car ended up in the right hands. Looking forward to following along!

29. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I'm confused it was "black with flames 30 years ago" and the picture/video on post #145 shows it in perfect condition with 1990/2000 model cars in the background. How did it change so much in so few years.

Pat

30. I think that car in the video is a clone if I'm reading it right. I don't get the whole unchopping thing. It looks good the way it is. It's a race car. Everybody's different I guess.