Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Ladies & Gentlemen... Latch Your Hoods!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1951Streamliner, Feb 16, 2012.

1. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Going down the freeway today my hood popped open. I was going to re-debut it at the Sacramento Autorama but I guess that plan fell through. I was on my way to get the paint cut and buffed.... :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

3. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

That sucks!
    Glad you were not seriously hurt.

4. krimsonghost

krimsonghost

Yikes... I've actually had that happen to me with an s-10 I had, not fun

5. Gigantor

Gigantor

Oh DAMN! That hurt to look at like seeing someone with a broken leg. Yeowch. Sorry about that, man!

6. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Sure was a damper on my day

If anybody knows of anybody with a 49-51 pontiac hood please let me know.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Whoa! Glad to hear you made out okay. On the FREEWAY!!? Damn.

8. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Damn!.. sorry to see that

9. Wow - sorry to hear and see that but like they say it coulda been worse. Glad you're ok

10. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

It definately could have been worse.

Just the fact I was on my way to get the paint polished was kind of a slap in the face :(

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Damn, what a big let down after being so close. a tough lesson that hopefully remind others to check their hood latches and make sure that they have good strong ones. hope that you can find the correct replacement parts to repair the damage. had a friend with a nice chopped '34 3 window Chevy Coupe. well, he used bungee cords as a temporary set up. yep, hit a very uneven patch of road and the hood flew off and landed upside down. he repaired it and repainted in his driveway. came out beautiful.

12. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

In 39 years of driving, I have never had that happen . . .

yet.

YET = You're Eligible, Too.

13. jazz1

jazz1

That just a bad day that could have gotten a whole lot worse,,had it happen to me way back with an old ford f? and a load of steel on, peaking through the gap between hood and cowl ,,sure wakes you up. Put a secondary lock on hood after that.

14. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

The part that sucks is that I had always had problems with it unlatching, but it would never open all the way..

i finally thought i fixed it and have ben driving the hell out of it the last week with no problems.. but it decided to let loose at the wrong time...

I will be going with a more reliable latch system when i find a new hood and repair it.

15. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang , it that happened to me i would have to have the seat cleaned also. Glad you are OK.

16. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

17. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

Had that happen to me once.. it was like someone putting thier hands over my eyes! freaked me out not knowing whats in front of me on the road.. sorry to see that!!

18. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Sorry about your car! Had that happen in a VW once at 75mph. Scared the hell out of me...

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ouch, It looks like you had some hours in that one too. I had the hood on the 48 blow open when a semi passed me going the other way on a two lane road in Wyoming but the louvers let enough air through that it didn't blow over. You can see through louvers enough to keep control of a vehicle with the hood open though.

20. That fuckin sucks man! Glad your ok the cars easier to fix..

21. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

22. scoobyscooter

scoobyscooter

Damn sorry to see that, glad you were able to get out of it without more damage.

23. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

My '49 Ford didn't have a safety latch. Instead, the hood was chained just in case, plus it was a theft deterrent device.

24. volksjunky

volksjunky

Fuckin' poop ! Sorry to see that man...

25. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Happened to me once,49 Studebaker Pickup luckily had the window rolled down so I could lean out and steer to the shoulder,feel bad for ya

26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to see that, 'liner. Glad you weren't hurt. Good part, is I see no damage to the roof or even the glass? And a hood shouldn't be too awful expensive or hard to find. A few rusted 4dr Pontiacs, but with good hoods. The trim might be another story. Maybe you can straighten it. Still sucks though.

This is one reason I liked driving my '47 Hudson...the hood lifts from the rear. I've even forgotten to latch it, and all that happens, is it lifts a bit. I'd just slow down, and pull the latch handle under the dash.

27. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Rickybop.. the windshield is actually completely shattered if you look closely.
    The hood shouldnt be hard to find, and I actually have a NOS hood trim piece that i will use.. luckily I hadnt put it on yet!!

Thanks for everybody's concern.. let me know if you know of any pontiac hoods laying around for cheap!

28. Oh man.... that is tuff to look at :( That is pretty scary and like some have said....it could of been worse.So I take it you were able to pull over pretty safe? That really sucks that this happened right before the show.....sorry to see this man.

29. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I was able to pull over okay. I stayed strangely calm for the whole thing, it was almost dream-like. This gives me an excuse to re-go through everything though, and make sure everything is safe and solid.

Are you going to the Sacto Autorama?