Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chicago Guys: Blue Bandit Pics Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by King Tut, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I talked to a coworker and showed him the pictures on the forum. He said "Dick Stokes" before I could even get a word in. Then he went on to talk about his gas station and some good stories of the old days. Tommy (my coworker) is really good friends with Dick Messina (his name is on the newest version of Shake Rattle and Run.

He doesn't know where the 55 is, I asked. He'll be happy to hear Dick is still alive. He had heard he passed.

2. GTO1

GTO1
    from Illinois

For everyone concerned about the original Don Gay 66 AF/X Funny Car Infinity / Stokes and Marinan Blue Bandit II. It's present condition except for the much deteriorated antique paint, and removal of the Hemi mounts, is as Butch Burwell sold the car!
    The present owner has a much more meticulous and exacting standard for body work, than what was previously preformed on this car. He has spent several years working in a true antique car restoration shop, as well as owning his own custom paint and body work shop.
    To TRUELY RESTORE this car would be to Pre Stokes + Marinan period, as the car was originally built for Don Gay! The present owner has no intention of chopping the car up, by taking it BACK to the original build. The car will retain it's extended wheel base as altered by Stokes + Marinan.
    When it is next viewed by the public, it will have the present owners personal choice of Pontiac Inspired Paint Scheme!
    Everyone has their own opinion on how the car should be restored / refurbished, and we can appreciate their opinions!
    Thanks for your interest, it is one fine piece of PONTIAC HISTORY!!!!!!

3. RUBE

RUBE

4. King Tut

King Tut
    from Chicago

All I can say is, what a great tribute..

...Bruno...

5. Bob_W

Bob_W

Dick's gas station was actually on 43rd & Union. I grew up in the same neighborhood & constantly walked over to see his cars. The station is still there but I don't know who owns it now.

I'll be back down there for Thanksgiving & I'll ask my brother what he knows about it.

6. lawman

lawman

Thanks for the Pictures Guys. Tom (Tired Old Man)

7. hogridenfool

hogridenfool
    from chicago

Stokes still owns it, he's there every day, I see him all the time, I still live down there on Wallace

8. Stokes Daughter

Stokes Daughter
    from Illinois

I came across this site today and loved reminiscing about the Blue Bandit. Dick Stokes is my dad and he is alive and well. His station is at 43rd & Union and he has been there for 51-years this month. I am the "April" that was painted on the front of the car. For those that remember my dad driving the car around the lot every morning; I sat right beside him many times...some of my fondest childhood memories.

9. DickStokes

DickStokes
    from Chicago

Hello race fans. I just found out about this site and thought I'd jump in, say "hello" The '55 Chevy Blue Bandit was my car, back in the day. Those days racing was real fun. As the years progressed, the cars got faster & faster & racing became a serious competition that ate up all the spare time and money that one could afford. When I first started racing, there wasn't much 'go fast' parts to buy, you'd have to make it or have it made if you were serious. It was a great time. Someone asked for pictures and I have a few. If I can figure how to post them, I will. Great to see some gearheads still around. ... Dick Stokes

Attached Files:

10. King Tut

King Tut
    from Chicago

Dick, Glad to see you found this..Im the who started this thread..I remember you, The Shaker, JailBait, and the rest that came from Back of the Yards as we called it..Im still in the neighborhood, 29th and Canal..Was always with my cousins who raced out of ChinaTown 24th street..

...Bruno...

11. DickStokes

DickStokes
    from Chicago

Hi Bruno; Glad to know there are still a few guys still around. Those were the "Run what you brung" days. Running back of the yards and on the Dan Ryan just south of 71st St. before the Ryan was completed. I had stuffed a 6lug rear end under the 55, that I scarfed from a Chev PU truck. It had a 4:89 screw and with the injected Chrys Hemi, it was a bad machine on the street. On the track it could run High 8 secs at 149 mph in the quarter on gasoline. The ride was comfortable, like a Sunday drive. ... Dick

12. King Tut

King Tut
    from Chicago

Dick, Do remember any of the guys that ran out of my side, like 26th Street, 24th street?????????????????? I remember watching some great racing right down Canal street...

...Bruno...

13. StorminGeorge

StorminGeorge

I used to work for Dick Stokes. I helped build a ran the Sundaay dragster at US 30 dragstrip. He had to 70 Duster with a rear engine configeration at the time. He is one hell of a racer. If you remember he had an adjustable wheel base on the 55 Chevy gasser. Wish I had some picks. The Charger is the car he crashed in. If you can get in touch with Dick he does or had a movie of the car during a run at US 30.

14. StorminGeorge

StorminGeorge

Hey Dick nice to know your still around. Hope you remember me it's George.

15. StorminGeorge

StorminGeorge

Nice to hear from you April. I worked for your dad in the 70's. It's George the guy who ran the purple dragster.

16. Stokes Daughter

Stokes Daughter
    from Illinois

Hi George ~ I am embarrassed to say I don't remember you. Keep in mind that I was a very young girl at the time and now pushing 54 years old...YIKES! My how time flies. I was so excited to find this thread about my dad. I loved our racing days and as a little girl, had always hoped to race one day myself. I still love a great car and fondly remember my time growing up at the station. I hope this message finds you happy & healthy.

17. gotmark73

gotmark73

Bruno, when I met my wife she was at 29th and normal. We both miss that neighborhood. We're in Munster now. My dad, Wally is 70 and remembers a lot of these cars. Thank you guys and girl for posting these memories

18. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

19. GTO1

GTO1
    from Illinois

I have contacted Don Gay Jr., his father was the original owner of the GTO. He is very interested to see the car restored. He mentioned the 68 Firebird Drag Car.

Does anyone know where it is?
    Any contact information?

Thank You!

I will post some of the progress of the GTO as it happens!

20. DickStokes

DickStokes
    from Chicago

Hi Guys: Well, another year gone by and I still enjoy the nostalgia re: racing days. This is Dick Stokes, Blue Bandit. Update, Aug. 2012. I'm still alive and kicking, and still at my work shop at 43rd and Union, Chgo (52yrs now). No more racing of course but the shop (Stokes Auto, Chgo) is doing well, I'm still working, 8 to 4pm, 5 days/wk. We specialize in hard to fix cars and emission test repairs. Glad to see postings from old friends and aquaintences. I've got a few more picts to post after I change their format.

21. DickStokes

DickStokes
    from Chicago

Hi Guys: Well, another year gone by and I still enjoy the nostalgia re: racing days. This is Dick Stokes, Blue Bandit. Update, Aug. 2012. I'm still alive and kicking, and still at my work shop at 43rd and Union, Chgo (52yrs now). No more racing of course but the shop (Stokes Auto, Chgo) is doing well, I'm still working, 8 to 4pm, 5 days/wk. We specialize in hard to fix cars and emission test repairs. Glad to see postings from old friends and aquaintences. I've got a few more picts to post after I change their format

22. StorminGeorge

StorminGeorge

April I'm the mechanic your dad had and he and I ran the little purple colored dragster by the name Sundaay. I owned the orange 70 Road Runner everyone called the pumpkin. Just turned 60 last month. Your not old. I remember you and your little brother well. Tell Dick I said hello.

23. RUBE

RUBE

24. Collin Benoit

Collin Benoit

I have a picture of you that my dad took in ‘67 at US30.

scan_20210412 (10).jpg

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

pprather likes this.