Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 ford sedan bagged ( Will the sway bar still be needed and use stock bushings)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Feb 15, 2012.

1. I have a bagged 1956 ford sedan and it lays frame. I have the original front sway bar and was wondering if it will be needed and will I use the same stock stabilizer links and center bushings?

2. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Yep, I'd anything having bags makes it more important to have a sway bar

3. Ok so I can buy the stock length end links and they will be fine?

4. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Sorry, but why isit more importnt?
    I know tons of people never put it back w/out any issues, me included, plus you have to see if the sway bar doesnt interfeer with the bags.
    Mine would have hit all the time, althou its a very diff. car.
    Anyway, i didnt notice any diffrence at all, and i did quite a lot of research b4 goin w/out it.

If you run good shocks, which imo you should anyway, and dont drive like a rally driver i dont think you'll have any problems w/out it.

5. I just thought since I have it might aswell run it

6. lurch13

lurch13

i have owned 3 different cadillacs i put air ride on them all never put sway bar back in just good shocks and seperate valves going to each front bag so the air can't transfer from bag to bag and create body roll.as long as you do that you will have no problems also use a dual needle air gauge so you can get the same amount of pressure to each bag up front.

7. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

I've amassed a small collection of 'em over the years by saving them, thinking they're going to be needed but blahhhhh.
    I dunno, maybe you shouldn't listen to me, I've never put seat belts in my stuff either?

8. Yeah I never do either.

9. choptvan

choptvan

You might remember my 54 ford. 2 door conversion. I bagged that as well. I ran without a sway bar for a bit. Horrible at real high speed on the highway. ( had a 292 tricarb. Hauled ass everywhere I went! ) I put the sway bar back on. HUGE difference. I even had 2 valves for each bag like it is supposed to be. But just like with coil springs, the sway bar helps. A lot. I would suggest it. I had to get a pro suspension sway bar link kit and cut down the spacer. I had to replace the bolt with a sporter one as well to keep it off of the frame. When the frame would drop all the way down, it would touch the frame. So shorter it was.

10. I remember your car. Are the 54 stabilizer end links the same? What size bolt and spacer would I need? Also where did you get yours from?

11. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

On my 55 it will bend the stock length ends as soon as you drop it down. Makes for a pain in the ass when taking them off unless you cut them. I just leave them bent and drive it.

12. So you are saying just get the new end bushings,bolts and spacers and install it as if it were going on a stock car?

13. atomickustom

atomickustom

Sway bars improve handling and stability. The thicker the bar, the more difference you will notice. If you are driving around with the car sitting significantly lower than stock you may want to use shorter end links. It's not complicated: set the car at the height you expect to drive most of the time and make or buy a link that puts the bar level at the ends. (Most sway bar links are just a spacer, four washers, four bushings, and a grade-8 bolt.)

On the other hand, the lower your car sits the less difference the bar makes so if you plan to scrape around most of the time it might not matter much. As chopvan's experience shows, it's not just about cornering like a slot car: they make a big difference at highway speeds, especially in windy conditions.

Personally, I'd go with an aftermarket bar that would get you a better improvement and maybe some pivoting end links as well.

14. Anyone know a company that makes them specifically for 55-56 fords?

15. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

Yeah I just bolt them on as stock, when you air it out and then raise it back up you will see that they are bent. Doesnt effect anything except for if you wanted to undo the sway bar, cant take the nut off of a bolt with bent threads.

16. So all I would have to do is cut down the bolt?

17. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

If you wanted, guess I'm lazy but I don't remove the sway bar very often so I never bothered.

18. I will have it right. I really dont want bent bolts.

19. ryno

ryno

id most definitely run the stock , or bigger if you can and afford it.
    as atomic mentioned, set it up at ride height, and measure the distance between your mounts, go to lowes or a hardware store and buy the correct length grade 8 bolt. go to o'reilly's and get stock replacement rubber bushings and use them, you will have to cut down the stock spacer to fill the height between.

20. Ryno, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you.