Register now to get rid of these ads!

History George Cerny Restyles...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. KFC

KFC
    from UK

It's one of the few issues I own , I love the idea but a huge amount of work

3. Always loved the coupes AND this article, but the real lustable car associated with Cerny for me was his shop wagon. Just eyeballed one on the drive in this morning thinking it would make a good family hauler.

4. I've been thinking that my 47 need eyebrows, thanks for the inspiration!

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

'55 Chevy Eye Brows are like Early Cad Sombreros which are like Desoto Grilles. They look good on anything!!!

Ryan you bite your tongue on 46-48 coupes!!! They're going to be the new black. ;)

6. JJ I thought you played with unicorns!

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$1980 in labor, but only $29.90 in parts!!
    About $16,500 total in today's dollars. Says all they bought were the electric latches. Guess the Plymouth bumpers etc. were free. :)

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd say those changes didn't improve the looks of that car at all.

9. A bunch of the Labour prices state "parts included". Not sure why they have a parts list and then not list the parts:rolleyes:.

10. weez

weez

That top reminds me of a '46-'48 coupe I saw in Long Beach in about 1987, it was near LBCC. It had a mildish 3" or so chop, no B-pillar, but it still had a full length doorframe! Must have been an adventure opening and closing the door, (and a rattle fiesta while driving) Not much custom about it, pretty stock looking otherwise. Always wondered about that one...

11. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

If that car were a chick, she'd be the type that orders a cheeseburger deluxe w/ the works and a DIET coke.

12. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The side view seems to show the front axle moved forwards a bit, which helps the front-end proportions to my mind, though there is no mention of that in the text. I've also never much liked the '41/'42/'46-'48, and I think the stock front overhang is one of the things which contribute to the heavy, stodgy look.

But what's with all that air under the frame?

13. modeltford

modeltford

Looks great, other than the 55 Chevy grill - looks like an afterthough to me - just doesn't belong. Even the stock one would be better!

Also think it'd flow better sitting a bit lower....

Rich

14. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

Ugliest cars AND trucks ever made were 46- 48 Fords. Lipstick on a pig is all I see.

15. customcory

customcory

It was nice when Car Craft use to do that. Theres one from then of a sectioned 40 coupe restyled by a shop owned by some oriental guys. That car should be cloned.

16. BigBlockBuck

BigBlockBuck

I like how they show an unmodified version of the car in the article, I wish more publications did this today.

17. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Tough crowd!
    The real interesting part is Ryan appreciates old customs more and more as the years roll on.. Good on ya!

18. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

The 46-48 is definitely not a looker in my book either, but this custom treatment sure goes a long way towards pulling off a miracle. The car looks very, very good. The side profile is spot-on, and the rear looks really neat too. The front I'm not entirely sure of, though.

All in all it's certainly a great improvement.

Cheers, Eddie

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Jesus... The irony of your timing. If I only had more energy to type, I'd write a dissertation. Instead, I'll spare ya and just say this:

I've always felt that customs fall on one side or the other of a very thin line. One one side is a car that tries really hard to be something that it never should be. And it was built for all of the wrong (?) reasons:

- Look at me!
    - Promotion, Promotion, Promotion!
    - I'm so great!
    - You want to be me, right? Please?
    - Fashion

On the other side is a car built with an eye for simplicity that is impossible to explain with words. It's what is not done more than what is. It's subtle. It's quiet. It's clever. It's... all kinds of things with a tasteful whisper.

I like certain cars on the far side of the line, but I have a passion for the customs built with more restraint than ego (?).

20. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Ive never been a fan of these coupes myself even though I had one when I was in highschool. Guess that was because it was free. Ended up trading it off before getting it running.

21. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I get you, and I think that you're exactly right..... But sometimes I look at an "over the top" custom and see just ONE unique piece of work or ONE beautiful line that just intrigues the hell out of me. It makes it all worthwhile just for that.
    Kinda like "yeah, she's kinda homely, but look at that ass!"

22. I've always been a ford coupe fan. I think the 41's were clean and 46-48 were hashed over 41's. I've never seen a 46-8 grill change the improved the phony stock bolt on grill. one exception would be that texas car with the 50 plymouth grill. every one I've seen has a big gap filling the stock mustache
    I've owned my 48 for 22 years and still haven't decided on a grill. I scrapped the 47 Olds for several reasons.
    I'm under the impression that customs should be an improvement over the original design and when done properly no one item show stand out.
    mine is homely but has the best looking ass I've seen on an old ford

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  23. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

This is why I love the HAMB. Even its revered founder gets no slack. I expected a lot of "you are right Ryan, it looks great Ryan," and I'm thinking "headlight treatment awesome but that grille sucks a little bit..."

Instead of those answers, I see tough as nails, keeping it real, even if real is being a cranky bitch, answers. That is genuine and you can't get it everywhere. Its that kind of no bullshit authenticity that keeps me coming back day after day. That and Ryan's Hunter Thompson stuff. Can't get enough of that either.

Nice work gentlemen.

24. fms427

fms427

I can't believe you don't like 46-48 coupes !! Shame on ya !!:D I rather like them........built this guy in the 80s and still have it.

Attached Files:

25. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

That is sooooo good looking!!!! Wow!!!

26. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

The way I see it, an uglier base only makes it more of a challenge, but there's more room for your work to shine through.

fms427, that is a very good looking coupe, congrats!

Cheers, Eddie

27. beautiful well done car...but that foot and a half from the grill to the top of the hood is the reason I ripped my Olds grill out

28. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

Does anyone have pics of his chopped Plymouth station wagon which used to be used as a push car at Santa Ana?

29. Push car hell that was his race on sunday car. Cad v8 he said it ran 99 never could reach the magic century mark lol

30. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

If it copies, here is the wagon

Another Cerny car that was shown a bit more in the magazines and books is his own '50 Plymouth Station wagon custom.
    Again a rather unusual car to start with, but George tallents made him create another wonderful custom out of it.

Chopped top, frenshed headlights. '53 and '54 Chevy parts wher used for the grille (later replaced) and strange chose but beautifull '36 Dodge taillights. The top was chopped 3 inch in the front and 4 in th back. rear window post where leaned forward.

[​IMG]

Rounded corners on the doors.

[​IMG]

Peacked headlights

[​IMG]

Later the car was redone with added side trim, Pontiac grille, different headlights and hubcaps.

[​IMG]