Register now to get rid of these ads!

buyer beware!!!! fraud

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustymerc, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rustymerc

rustymerc

hello everyone
    just a heads up, you all are probably smarter than me. but just a reminder not to money transfer anything. this week i posted a wanted add,i got a email from a petter huggins who stated he had the 49 mercury park lights I wanted. after questioning shipping and payment and being reassured he is a honest man, i in good faith send 200 usd to the uk where he was located via money gram. he recieved the money and next day gives me a tracking number for a company first flight. after calling first flight im informed by the rep this is fraud and im not the first to call there company this week about it! all in all im really bumbed out about it and just wanted to remind every one else out there, there is no rush don't be an idoit like me.

if anybudy has any advice im open ears ive reported to money gram and my local pd

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you are in So Cal and bought old car parts from the UK?

3. Consider the $200 as tuition for a life lesson. You will never resolve this.

4. rustymerc

rustymerc

i know stupid.... life lesson agreed

5. A true shame, some people spend more energy on ripping off people, than making money honestly.

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

For people that don't know.... if a shipping company is not world wide, the tracking numbers will only work until they leave the country.

ie... usps can't track a package that leaves the us, but fedex can!

Man sorry to hear... this is another reason paypal is a good thing!

7. Just a reminder that there are a lot of folks that used to work from the African continent now working from the UK. or at least they have larned to make you think that they are in the UK.

here is an example:

This is from the gearshift knob thread just posted today. His information says he is from the UK. They do speak english there correct?

8. Pharouh

Pharouh

Seems to happen to everyone at one time or another. Around 1979,I bought a set of really nice wheels from a company that advertised in a national magazine. Sent $365,a few weeks later I get 3 rims? (the wrong ones),call the guy and leave a message. Tried again-no one ever answers.
    I call the magazine,seems like 20 other guys got the same deal.
    I feel your pain-it's in my back pocket.

9. shonky

shonky
    from Norfolk UK

Always dodgy if they say they are in the UK and want money grams.

probably Nigerians

99.9% of the time anyone in the UK will ask for paypal !

next time ask for full details and phone number ,and ring them !

10. rustymerc

rustymerc

this was his exact words after me questioning...........sounded educated and was a fast reply. Hi Chaz,

I do understand your concern and I also would be careful too. But I am just a retired man of over 65yrs of age and I have been honest and sincere in all my financial dealings and life endeavours. I will never rip-off your hard earned money as I work hard for every penny I earn.

I would have loved to use PayPal but my PayPal account is currently dormant at the moment and can only use Money gram. I have used Money Gram before and never had any problems.

How do I prove my honesty and integrity? I can pay for shipping with my funds and obtain a tracking # from the shipping company just to clear all doubts. Let me know.

Thanks,
    Peter.

11. johnboy13

johnboy13

I absolutely will not wire money to a stranger for anything. I can make due without whatever they claim they are selling. If I can't use paypal, I don't need it bad enough.

12. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

There use to be a post on the OLD Ford Barn,, about that,,all those UK ones are no-no's

13. KFC

KFC
    from UK

This guy has tried this before , another member contacted a UK member (nifty) to check him out . His address does not exist and when he was phoned he had an eastern European accent and wasn't available to veiw the parts , worth talking to mods about banning him ?

14. Willy301

Willy301

It is a shame they are trying to give the UK a bad name, have met a lot of people from the UK and most are sincere and honest in my dealings so far.

15. Actually we have a few fellas from the UK on here and they are as honest as the day is long. What I have a tendency to do any more is look in a fellas friends list and his post count/time on the board before I send cash. If I see someone I recognoze in there friends list I may inquire as to how they ended up there.

I have had people contact me about parts that I was seeking from a reference on the HAMB that were not HAMB members or they became members the same day that they contacted me. I blow them off they are just out cruising the net looking for a mark.

Rustymerc,
    Did I mention that I am real sorry that you got boosted my friend? Maybe someone with the correct parts can step up and cut you a deal.

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Dont be so big on Pay Pal either..they are nothing but theifs too..you might have to wait your turn, but it will come

sorry about your lesson..I learned mine about PP quite a few years back..they can SMD for all I care

17. I have stated this before and I will state it again...Ask for a certain photo of the item if the seller is in the U.K.. If they cannot come up with the photo that shows what you want, IT IS A SCAMMER!! If they say that their scanner or camera is not working, PASS ON IT!

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This was on the HAMB? If so, pm me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.