Register now to get rid of these ads!

Price of the new metal 32 five window announced

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DropTopD, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Okay, no policy/political, but maybe a little economics as relates to the above thoughts on cost of '32 repop vs Model A, amount of steel, how big the dies, etc.

I'll use an automobile example since we're all car nuts, but it applies across the board on all forms of consumer products: toasters, shoes, tools, you name it.

If you look only at content; e.g. the amount of steel, aluminum, plastics, elastomers, glass, and on and on, there's little difference in volume of material between say a Chev Malibu, and a mid size BMW for example. There may be some small and reasonable arguments about quality level of fabric or plastic but nothing overly significant to explain the large difference in price between the two based on materials consumed. Presumably they take the same amount of energy and plant space to produce, and labor amount (not necessarily hard, loaded labor cost however), as well as the other factors of production. In a free market each company sets a price it feels it can get. For a number of valid, though often overlooked, reason, BMW is able to ask and get a significant premium for their car within any classification strata. Why? If I put it in a couple words it would be "perceived value". Now right off the bat we'll have people whizz and moan about how stupid those phonies are who buy BMWs just for the name, or some such commentary. Those folks don't have the same perceptions as those who buy the Bimmer. As long as nobody is being forced to buy either the Malibu or the BMW no big deal. If you don't perceive the additional value, you don't step up to it. Nothing has been taken away from you, you're not harmed in any way, so get over it. If the party who perceives additional value in the BMW earned their money then it's their call to determine how much value they exchange for how much value they receive. Consumers voting with their dollars.

A rusted '32 5 window body will almost always sell for more than a similarly rusted Model A 5 window body. Why? Perceived value, drives the supply/demand formula. If a product is priced wrong because the seller doesn't have the same perceptions as the potential buyers, he's gonna be sittin' on his inventory until he changes his perspective................or somebody (his inverstors, banker, wife, whomever) changes his perception for him.

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

What Kewi Kev posted should be taught in the schools of this country. The kids graduating today don't know ANY American history and if they did they'd be looking for ways to return us to our roots instead of having their heads stuck on a computer screen, walking around unable to survive unless they are taking on a cell phone, or worse, looking for their pusher for the next drug buy. I know this might be a little over the top but have any of you ACTUALLY tried to engage a person under 25 in an intelligent conversation about national/world affairs? Good luck!!

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. afaulk

afaulk

I would not buy one if it were 11k. Having bought Taiwan replacement doors, fenders etc. which are invariably inferior to original sheetmetal, I cringe at the thought of spending that much money on substandard materials and workmanship.

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

I thought the price difference was due to the complexity of the progressive dies for the '32, And more involved stamping process,.. And I could be wrong,.. ( But I don't think so). I think all the Model A sheet metal was stamped in house at Brookville. Not in the more advanced facility in Dearborn that handles some of the stamping for the big 3. Like the sheet metal for the '32............ :)

5. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

This can all be settled easily, A steel 37-41 willys body (depending on condition) will fetch anywhere from $25-60K And we can corner the market, As there is no one producing them. So everyone who thinks that passing the savings on to the customer is better than making a nice profit for all your hard work, I say put up your money and time, And lets produce the willys bodys. I could be wrong but I would bet that by the time we went into production, You would rather have a profit on your investment, than sell the bodies cheap. I have already spent some of my own money trying to do this, But It did not take me long to realize that it takes alot of time and hard work, besides the huge amount of money to tackle a project like this. I am still looking for some new investors, So anyone with some real money lying around who is interested PM me....LOL.

6. That's probably true too..........but to tie the whole thing in a comprehensive tale would take a whole lot more typing at one time than an old fart like me has the energy for.;)

BTW, a Brookville guy once told me at SEMA the A stuff was done with steel dies while the '32 stuff is Kirksite. That probably has some impact on cost recovery as well if true.

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

SUPPLY and Demand :D

That is the bottom line. There are still many decent Model A coupes still out there ( For less than the 1/3 of the money )
    but the demand is not as high as it is for a 32 coupe ( either 3W or 5W ).

This 22 grand 5W gives all those folks who say they prefer a 32 5W over a 32 3W a way to step up and now BUY a new 5W instead of bitching about the higher price of the Brookville 32 3W.

One very postive thing about this 5W is being overlooked by MOST.
    Their parts and pieces will help a good many Henry 32 5W coupes get back into shape.

:) :)

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

Cowtown,

I applaud the efforts of UP (well for the most part :cool:) , As well as your involvement, There is defiantly room in the market for a quality steel '32 5/W Body, and I hope it goes well,. I am just interested in the quality of the finished product. I understand the cost involved, And if the quality is on Par with Brookville, I would see no problem with you enjoying sucess.

I know the panels will be stamped off shore,....... will they be assembled here, or over seas ?,.. Do they have somebody in place (at the facility) to keep an eve on manufacturing quality control ?

9. uncle buck

uncle buck

If someone else wants to step up to the plate and offer comparable product to offer competition we will probably see an adjustment in price. I think Henry always had more than one vendor supply like parts to create competition and keep costs down. If not , Its the sellers choice to price it at what they want and our choice to buy or pass on it. I didn't catch what the Swedish versions were priced at , but if they are less and somebody imports them to the US , I think that may play a factor in pricing. Me , I would much rather have gennie Ford stuff even if it might cost more in the end. I am thankful that somebody is willing to produce all that is available too.

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

There was absolutely nothing political at all about my previous post. Just a valid observation on the direction the world is headed.

I may be wrong and it would not be the first time. :D

One can only hope I am wrong.

A comment on that picture of the 2 roadsters in "breeding position".

That picture is just wrong, not funny and sends a message to me.

It tells me to have nothing to do with the people who are responsible for it and if I were to be buying a 32 roadster body and chassis I would buy elsewhere.

11. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Uncle Bob, you're my new hero! And Cowtown, you are obviously an experienced business man.

Most of you guys were trained in some trade or educated in college for your work. So after you paid off the tuition cost, did you cut your salary rate to "pass it on to the consumer"? Shit no, the better you get and longer you're at your craft, the MORE you expect to make!

I am amazed every day that people like Bob Drake or Brookville are willing to put HUGE bucks on the line to make stuff that frankly no body actually needs to survive and may or may not ever pay back for them. And the hard costs are just the start - add in marketing, insurance, utilities, event travel, payroll, equipment upgrades, etc, etc.

If you don't like imported 5 window bodies (or any other parts), vote with your wallet. Everybody walking out of Walmart claims to be patriot. BUT, if you REALLY want USA made stuff, then pay enough to support a fair wage for American workers - period!

12. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Way off topic, and yes; it's way over the top not to mention inaccurate.

I'm surprised this thread doesn't get locked for nonsense like this. Yikes.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Lighten up! I bet you've never seen four new MACK cabs and chassis on the interstate on their way to a dealership. :rolleyes:

14. Well, aren't you the life of the party. I'll bet you advocate putting clothes on animals so the nasty parts don't show

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No that would be bizzare :D

16. 117harv

117harv

This thread is Soooo done.

17. scottb356

scottb356

Here's my deal. There are 167,835 Hamb members. If HALF of you will send me a mere .25 I will buy one of these bodies. Upon receiving it. I will give you all as many photos of it, measurements of it, and any other data you want. I wil then do a full build thread on it using that body and all of the drivetrain parts I have.

Paypal is fine, just send it as a gift please;)

IF YOU ACT IN THE NEXT TEN MINUTES:

ALL of you can send me a mere .15 and it will be even cheaper for each one of you:D That's right for only .15 you can be part of the new 32 Chinese testing.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Scott, now everyone will be Googling Venture Capitalist, and come back and slap you around.:rolleyes:

19. scottb356

scottb356

:eek: Getting slapped around usually costs me a couple hundred in the nicer clubs

20. Hell, Brookville's 32 roadster quarters are twice what they price their Model A roadster quarters at. They're not double to tool/produce. It's a 32 "premium".

Yeah, a Brookville A roadster is MORE complex to build, takes MORE hours and has MORE compnents than a 32 roadster yet costs TWICE what an A roadster sells for. :)

Buy don't take MY word for it - ask the guys at Brookville why. Fact is we already know.

Truth is this: if you wanna play, you gotta PAY.

Simple.

Or...just go by an original 31 5W coupe instead.

One more thing - has anyone even considered the CAJONES that these guys have designing, tooling, and releasing to the market a repro 32 5W steel body in a Global economy that is terrible and threatening to take an almighty dump ??

Rat

21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I actually read every post on this thread...

now my head hurts...and now I'm going to go out and buy the first real steel 5w I can find. :p

22. wizzard23

wizzard23

Beleve I'll build another glass T.

23. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Not to highjack this thread but You are a dealer for United Pacific? Does anyone have a hard date on quarter panels? I keep hearing 4 months and then two months later I hear 4 months????

24. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I am being told the same thing......All we can do is wait......LOL

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm building a steel T :D

26. Well after 1 1/2 hours of reading each post I'll now have to go back and try to remember what the hell the OP was asking again. Damn this short term memory thing.

27. DropTopD

DropTopD

All I'm saying. Is that if if cheaper to make, it should be cheaper to buy. Regardless where it's made, or purchased. Personally, in all fairness I'll probably end up buying an original junker, and fixing it with their patch panels.

28. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Talking prices, did a Hamber manage to scoop on this...? Wish I lived in the US.

[​IMG]

This 1932 Ford Tudor Sedan runs and drives, and is powered by a flathead with a manual transmission. We like the chop, are pretty sure it is all steel, and think that it is the cheapest entry price we’ve seen on a driving non-pickup hot rod with a flathead. Find it here at Randy’s Hot Rods in New Braunfels, Texas for $13,878.

29. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Oh shit !! my 32 5 window is a real one but I used a upac rear panel and widow garnish mouldings and they fit very good but the stuff that was made in Texas I had to rework a lot if Upac sold the other parts I would have bought them my parts came in quickly no excuses . Oh as for the bodys even the steel used in so called american cars is now comming from offshore . Damb I feel nasty !!Have you ever seen a chinese hot rod ?or one from tiawan ? maybe this is an American deal

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  30. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

I confirm, I bought a body from them, very happy with it!